Join Early Retirement Today

Bankrate.com's latest ER articles
Old 06-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Bankrate.com's latest ER articles

Dollar Stretcher's weekly e-mail had a couple articles by Bankrate.com on ER. They're pretty basic but they're a good recap of the things we've been reading in the financial journals:

Retiring early-- pipe dream?

and

Figuring your withdrawal rate.

I like the advisor's expression "Rule of Dumb"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Starting out with a draw or $60,000 and at the end of 25 years, drawing $58,000. What am I missing here?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've met Ty Bernicke........NOT IMPRESSED...........

Maybe Kiyosaki and Trump and him can put together the "Holy Trinity" of financial advice............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoyed this pearl of wisdom:

Early retirement remains an attainable goal for those willing to live within their means.

As if living within your means is some novel, optional concept for retirement success.

- John
Old 06-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

And this one kinda pisses me off:

"Not everyone likes retirement, especially sharp, trained professionals," says Rose.

so smart people have nothing better in their lives to do than work. Uh-huh.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchman View Post

"Not everyone likes retirement, especially sharp, trained professionals," says Rose.

Guess they aren't all that sharp after all...
Old 06-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
I enjoyed this pearl of wisdom:

Early retirement remains an attainable goal for those willing to live within their means.

As if living within your means is some novel, optional concept for retirement success.

- John
Too funny. I realized that, because of the way that I was brought up, that I had never considered living beyond my means as an option. I never realized that I had a choice NOT to go to college too and was surprised when some of my friends in HS didn't.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Too funny. I realized that, because of the way that I was brought up, that I had never considered living beyond my means as an option. I never realized that I had a choice NOT to go to college too and was surprised when some of my friends in HS didn't.
I vividly recall my friends around the time of getting out of high school (1982) talking about a post office job where you made $10 an hour. They dreamily said "ten bucks an hour!" as if that was the ultimate attainment and you'd be set for life at that rate. Heading off to engineering college, I had slightly higher expectations.

- John
Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I am not sure it pisses me off, but it points out that some people (probably him included) don't have lives. their self worth is being 'the expert', or the 'fire fighter' or the 'boss'. Take that away from them and they feel worthless. hmmm they could probably better spend their initial years of retirement in therapy ....
Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
I am not sure it pisses me off, but it points out that some people (probably him included) don't have lives. their self worth is being 'the expert', or the 'fire fighter' or the 'boss'. Take that away from them and they feel worthless. hmmm they could probably better spend their initial years of retirement in therapy ....
I still prefer them to be known for their occupational-therapy achievements as "single-handedly rescued Social Security & Medicare from insolvency due to their payroll deductions"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I still prefer them to be known for their occupational-therapy achievements as "single-handedly rescued Social Security & Medicare from insolvency due to their payroll deductions"...
ahhhh ...serving a useful purpose in life: sorta runs along the lines of ... even a total failure can be useful ... they can always be used as a bad example