basement or not

Goonie said:
I live about 80 miles west of Chi, so we get pretty much the same weather as you do...just an hour or so sooner. Our cars sit outside because I have my woodshop/workshop in the garage, and my hobby room (model railroad) is in a LARGE addition on the end of the garage, and I have a good size garden building for all the lawn/garden tools and equuipment.

I had remote starts installed in both of our cars, so in the winter I just leave the defroster in the "ON" position in High, so in the morning about 10 or 15 minutes before I go out, I just push the button on my key-fob...and let 'em get toasty. When I go out...No frost...and I get in a warm car. (nice in the summer too, since I leave the A/C set to run)

So since taking backed-up/flooded basement calls for all these years, I still would NEVET have a basement.....but that's just me. 8)

While the remote starting gear in the cars would help somewhat, it's hard to believe your situation isn't a huge downgrade from having the cars (still with remote starts) snuggled in an attached garage. ;)

Some company around here is now offering underground garages added to your home during construction. Store your cars AND maximize your house square footage even on californias popular "zero lot" homes!

Heated, with a stainless steel carousel that turns your car so you can drive straight out and never have to back the car up.

I think its official...we've now reached the epitome of maximum laziness.

The trifecta is complete. Having a vehicle that would take you to a destination hundreds of miles away, warm and in a soft chair wasnt enough.

#1: It had to be big enough to haul a soccer team, even though its usually driven by one person
#2: It has to have a little push button to maintain speed, beause pushing that little pedal is too much work
#3: I should never have to parallel park the vehicle or back up out of a parking space under my house

Toejam said:
The only problem in the basement has been the sump pump. If the sump pump malfunctions or stops working for any reason, the natural ground water that accumulates during the rainy seasons will cause the water level to rise above the floor level and cause flooding. ...... Am still considering whether or not to buy a back-up sump pump that is battery operated.

toejam,

Do you live an area with city water? If so, a solution I have found is having a water-powered back-up pump. As long as there's pressure in the city water lines, the back-up pump will operate.

There are a couple of manufacturers of these. Here's a link to one:
http://www.do-it-yourself-pumps.com/homeguard.htm

I had mine installed about 8 years ago -- cost about $700 total (which I consider cheap insurance against another sump pump failure or prolonged electrical outage.)

It gives me a lot of peace of mind, especially when I am away from home during lengthy stormy/rainy periods.

HTH,

omni

youbet said:
While the remote starting gear in the cars would help somewhat, it's hard to believe your situation isn't a huge downgrade from having the cars (still with remote starts) snuggled in an attached garage. ;)

I don't have an attached garage...it's ~60 feet from the house. Also, we haven't used it to store the car since the mid-60s...it was always a PITA to clear the snow between the overhead-door and street, and get the gate open, etc. So they almost ALWAYS sat outside.

El Guapo said:
Heated, with a stainless steel carousel that turns your car so you can drive straight out and never have to back the car up.

I think its official...we've now reached the epitome of maximum laziness.

I remember from 30 some years ago when I read water meters, there was a big estate up on the bluff overlooking the city, that had a turntable in the garage! The house was built in the mid-1800's, and the garage was added in the VERY early 1900's. The home owner at the time, told me the year...something like 1906 or 07....it was something WAY ahead of it's time!!! :)

youbet said:

You just make sure your remote starter open the garage door also so you don't die of carbon monoxide.

I would definitely get a basement if you are buying a new construction home in an area where basements are feasible. As far as old houses (which are more likely to leak), depends on how much you need/want it.

I grew up in the midwest, and most every house in my neighborhood was built about a hundred years ago and had leaky basements. One of the best things about basements was that you could roller skate on the cement floors. Us neighborhood kids actually got written up in the paper once for our "subterranean skate club" that met in the basement. The paper sent out photographers to shoot us roller skating in the basement. Man talk about slow news day.

Now that I live in California, I actually appreciate the discipline of not having a basement. It forces you to throw stuff out. If you have a basement you always just throw something in the basement if there's any chance you'll need it, and then end up spending a lot of time searching through the basement for random items that you're not sure if you have.

In my old neighborhood there was a beautiful tutor mansion with a full basement. The owner had three daughters. They and their friends regularly had roller skating parties in that wonderful open space. :) :)

Oh, for those of you who dissed my comments about back-flow (or back-check) valves: builders failed to install them properly in a couple homes in my area. There is no cleanup like a sewer-line backup. One had effluent almost knee deep. :( :(

What about tornados? I've never had a basement, but I am going to move to "Tornado Alley" when I retire.

I have no need or desire for a basement for any other reason. It might seem a lot safer than an interior hallway when things get scary.

Want2retire said:
What about tornados? I've never had a basement, but I am going to move to "Tornado Alley" when I retire.

I have no need or desire for a basement for any other reason. It might seem a lot safer than an interior hallway when things get scary.

If you are really in high tornado danger area, I would be satisfied with nothing less than a real storm shelter i.e. something with at least one entrance far enough away from the house that it would be unlikely that the house could cave in on it.

There are nice prefab designs on the web.

Ha

HaHa said:
If you are really in high tornado danger area, I would be satisfied with nothing less than a real storm shelter i.e. something with at least one entrance far enough away from the house that it would be unlikely that the house could cave in on it.

There are nice prefab designs on the web.

And if you're in the market for a manufactured home, be sure you get the optional roll bars. ;)

omni550 said:
toejam,

Do you live an area with city water? If so, a solution I have found is having a water-powered back-up pump. As long as there's pressure in the city water lines, the back-up pump will operate.

I had mine installed about 8 years ago -- cost about $700 total (which I consider cheap insurance against another sump pump failure or prolonged electrical outage.)

It gives me a lot of peace of mind, especially when I am away from home during lengthy stormy/rainy periods.

HTH,

omni

Hello Omni550:

Thank you very much for the above information. I am going to check it out first thing tomorrow. Sounds like a great idea if I can get one installed. I would not mind at all paying $800 to $1,000 (or more) for the peace of mind such a sump pump would provide! Thanks again for your input regarding my situation!

Toejam

free4now said:
Now that I live in California, I actually appreciate the discipline of not having a basement. It forces you to throw stuff out. If you have a basement you always just throw something in the basement if there's any chance you'll need it, and then end up spending a lot of time searching through the basement for random items that you're not sure if you have.

When you move to a one room efficiency, you'll appreciate the discipline even more! When you live in more than one small room, you always just throw something into all that unnecessary free space if there's any chance you'll need it, and then end up spending a lot of time seaching for random items that you're not sure if you have! ;)

REWahoo! said:
And if you're in the market for a manufactured home, be sure you get the optional roll bars. ;)

I'm still astounded at how the tornado's are drawn to large clusters of mobile homes.

El Guapo said:
I'm still astounded at how the tornado's are drawn to large clusters of mobile homes.

One of those mysteries of nature that man will likely never solve. I put it in the same category as where does your lap go when you stand up?

El Guapo said:

:LOL: So true, El Guapo!Thanks, ReWahoo, for your comments on manufactured homes in tornado alley.... I agree, and I plan to buy a small, sturdy conventional home when I retire to SW Missouri.

HaHa, a storm shelter would sure be a "plus", though it appears that more houses might have basements than storm shelters (if the online ads are any indication). Maybe I can have one installed.

Another option for a storm shelter is an above-ground hardened room. You can incorporate it easily into the design of a new home, or add it as you would a room addition (some are designed as walk-in closets attached to a bedroom). Typically these are constructed of insulated concrete forms (ICFs), whiche are just large hollow foam blocks that you fill with concrete. Pour a thin re-inforced concrete top slab on top and you've got a place that can withstand a tornado/hurricane, but without some of the downside of a buried room (dampness, potential flooding, etc.).

omni550 said:
toejam,

HTH,

omni

Omni
thanks for the link.....just wondering if you have ever used or tested the water-powered backup pump? I am familiar with these and have heard mixed reports on performance, but that was some years ago. The gal/min and gal used/gal pumped figures sound reasonable for the system in your link.

jazz4cash said:
Omni
thanks for the link.....just wondering if you have ever used or tested the water-powered backup pump?

I had one installed in my basement eight years ago. (This is after the switch in my original sump pump (of unknown age) failed.) Rather than replace the entire pump, I replaced the switch and had a water-powered back-up pump installed in the sump pit.

Since then, I've had no problems. The original sump pump is still in operation. I test the water-powered back-up pump whenever I'm in the basement and it occurs to me to test it (which is infrequently). This involves lifting the float arm and inch or so (to simulate the primary sump pump failing and the sump pit water level rising). Each time I've done this, the back-up pump has performed flawlessly and instantly to start pumping out the water in the sump pit.

I am confident in the water-powered pump as my "back up" insurance. Far better than a battery-powered alarm (that I would have to be home to hear and one that would need ongoing battery replacement) or a battery-powered back up pump (Again, it would need ongoing battery charging/maintenance).

I'm delighted with my current set-up and rarely give it a moment's thought.

omni

Martha said:
Our basement on our 100+ year old building is made of sandstone. No leaks or running water but always damp. Hate it. Can't store anything there that you care about. It is just one oversized laundry room and mechanical room.

I have found that just getting some of the air ducts opened up into our basement has vastly improved the humidity problem. An air return and an air duct on opposite ends are needed for good circulation.

I am conservative with using the air conditioner, but when I do it is often more for the humidity then the heat. The AC really pulls the humidity out.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom