Join Early Retirement Today

Re: basement or not
Old 01-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550
toejam,

Do you live an area with city water? If so, a solution I have found is having a water-powered back-up pump. As long as there's pressure in the city water lines, the back-up pump will operate.

There are a couple of manufacturers of these. Here's a link to one:
http://www.do-it-yourself-pumps.com/homeguard.htm

I had mine installed about 8 years ago -- cost about $700 total (which I consider cheap insurance against another sump pump failure or prolonged electrical outage.)

It gives me a lot of peace of mind, especially when I am away from home during lengthy stormy/rainy periods.

HTH,

omni
Hello Omni550:

Thank you very much for the above information. I am going to check it out first thing tomorrow. Sounds like a great idea if I can get one installed. I would not mind at all paying $800 to $1,000 (or more) for the peace of mind such a sump pump would provide! Thanks again for your input regarding my situation!

Toejam

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
Now that I live in California, I actually appreciate the discipline of not having a basement. It forces you to throw stuff out. If you have a basement you always just throw something in the basement if there's any chance you'll need it, and then end up spending a lot of time searching through the basement for random items that you're not sure if you have.
When you move to a one room efficiency, you'll appreciate the discipline even more! When you live in more than one small room, you always just throw something into all that unnecessary free space if there's any chance you'll need it, and then end up spending a lot of time seaching for random items that you're not sure if you have!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
And if you're in the market for a manufactured home, be sure you get the optional roll bars.
I'm still astounded at how the tornado's are drawn to large clusters of mobile homes.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
I'm still astounded at how the tornado's are drawn to large clusters of mobile homes.
One of those mysteries of nature that man will likely never solve. I put it in the same category as where does your lap go when you stand up?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
So true, El Guapo!Thanks, ReWahoo, for your comments on manufactured homes in tornado alley.... I agree, and I plan to buy a small, sturdy conventional home when I retire to SW Missouri.

HaHa, a storm shelter would sure be a "plus", though it appears that more houses might have basements than storm shelters (if the online ads are any indication). Maybe I can have one installed.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Another option for a storm shelter is an above-ground hardened room. You can incorporate it easily into the design of a new home, or add it as you would a room addition (some are designed as walk-in closets attached to a bedroom). Typically these are constructed of insulated concrete forms (ICFs), whiche are just large hollow foam blocks that you fill with concrete. Pour a thin re-inforced concrete top slab on top and you've got a place that can withstand a tornado/hurricane, but without some of the downside of a buried room (dampness, potential flooding, etc.).

Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550
toejam,

Do you live an area with city water? If so, a solution I have found is having a water-powered back-up pump. As long as there's pressure in the city water lines, the back-up pump will operate.

There are a couple of manufacturers of these. Here's a link to one:
http://www.do-it-yourself-pumps.com/homeguard.htm

I had mine installed about 8 years ago -- cost about $700 total (which I consider cheap insurance against another sump pump failure or prolonged electrical outage.)

It gives me a lot of peace of mind, especially when I am away from home during lengthy stormy/rainy periods.

HTH,

omni
Omni
thanks for the link.....just wondering if you have ever used or tested the water-powered backup pump? I am familiar with these and have heard mixed reports on performance, but that was some years ago. The gal/min and gal used/gal pumped figures sound reasonable for the system in your link.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
Omni
thanks for the link.....just wondering if you have ever used or tested the water-powered backup pump?
I had one installed in my basement eight years ago. (This is after the switch in my original sump pump (of unknown age) failed.) Rather than replace the entire pump, I replaced the switch and had a water-powered back-up pump installed in the sump pit.

Since then, I've had no problems. The original sump pump is still in operation. I test the water-powered back-up pump whenever I'm in the basement and it occurs to me to test it (which is infrequently). This involves lifting the float arm and inch or so (to simulate the primary sump pump failing and the sump pit water level rising). Each time I've done this, the back-up pump has performed flawlessly and instantly to start pumping out the water in the sump pit.

I am confident in the water-powered pump as my "back up" insurance. Far better than a battery-powered alarm (that I would have to be home to hear and one that would need ongoing battery replacement) or a battery-powered back up pump (Again, it would need ongoing battery charging/maintenance).

I'm delighted with my current set-up and rarely give it a moment's thought.

omni
Old 01-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Our basement on our 100+ year old building is made of sandstone. No leaks or running water but always damp. Hate it. Can't store anything there that you care about. It is just one oversized laundry room and mechanical room.
I have found that just getting some of the air ducts opened up into our basement has vastly improved the humidity problem. An air return and an air duct on opposite ends are needed for good circulation.

I am conservative with using the air conditioner, but when I do it is often more for the humidity then the heat. The AC really pulls the humidity out.

-ERD50