Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Basic Book Recommendation
Old 12-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I suggest you start with, The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason. Then the Bogleheads Guide, then, Work less Live MOre.
I'm with Alex - The Richest Man in Babylon should be required reading for high school students.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to cons Send a message via Yahoo to cons

being 29 and 24, your sons are most likely out of college, have their degress in their respective fields, and are just starting their careers. this is a great time for them to start learning about investing/saving. also, understanding the effects of compund interest would also encourage them to save/invest for their future.

i would recommend the following two books:

'The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need' by Andrew Tobias

followed by

'The Bogleheads Guide to Investing' by Taylor Larimore (a couple of other authors but don't remember the names)

Old 12-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Smith
. . . So I'll go against the tide and say this: buy them each a good novel.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I'll add my personal observation consistent with Bob's thoughts. If someone had given me an investing book in my 20s I wouldn't have read it. Sci Fi yes, finances no.

I remember my cousin giving me all sorts of women's conciousness books when I was in my 20s. Didn't read them either and I am a feminist. At least I guess so, I never read the manual.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
If someone had given me an investing book in my 20s I wouldn't have read it. Sci Fi yes, finances no.
But maybe, just maybe, the OP's child will read it. However, if the OP doesn't give a personal finance book, then it is a virtual certainty that they won't.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll add my personal observation consistent with Bob's thoughts. If someone had given me an investing book in my 20s I wouldn't have read it. Sci Fi yes, finances no.

I remember my cousin giving me all sorts of women's conciousness books when I was in my 20s. Didn't read them either and I am a feminist. At least I guess so, I never read the manual.
I gave my two thirtysomething married daughters ESR Bob's "Work Less, Live More" book last year and the reception was less than overwhelming. They are both LBYM types, who don't have credit card debt and contribute to 401k's, but their lives are so consumed with working and raising families they have little interest in devoting what spare time they have to learning about investing and personal finance. It's all about priorities, and until they are ready...well, you know all about leading a horse to water.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #27

Quote:

Ditto. If you're not interested you're just not interested. A serious two hundred page non-fiction book looks like a mountain sometimes, especially to a younger fellow with . . . um . . . hormones that require regular activation. But . . . how about a magazine subscription about money and investing for young men? Maybe something like Money or one of the many others on the magazine racks that not only provide shorter articles about investing but also containing ads with young gentlemen glancing at their Rolexes while getting into their BMWs. Or with pictures of young ladies in horn rim glasses pouting over a martini. Short breezy articles about investing in between such consumer youth fare might actually get looked at. Just a possible alternative.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Smith
2) It's perfectly reasonable (and maybe even desirable) if my kids aren't thinking about retirement in their 20s.
They may not always appreciate unsolicited advice about how they can become more like us.
Quote:
We've given our kid the basic financial skills. She also keenly appreciates the compounding example where one kid starts an IRA at age 16, quits contributing at age 26, and still has a balance that runs away from the IRA of the kid that didn't start until age 26 and tried to catch up. Not that Dad loaded the spreadsheet or anything.

So I figure it's pushing it to ask her pick ETFs or stocks, decide on an asset allocation, or plow through a few FIRECalc scenarios.

When the students are ready they can darn well e-mail their questions to us teachers...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:19 AM   #29

My brothers are both getting a copy of Engineering Your Retirement this Christmas.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have kids, but I do have thirteen nieces and nephews, most of whom are getting toward that young adult stage (i.e., college, first jobs).

When the topic of money has come up in conversation at family gatherings, DH mentions that we're on the path to early retirement, and we're happy to answer any questions that any of the family may have.

So far, two of the nephews have said that when they get out of college and get their first real jobs, they'll ask us. They've seen their parents (who are in their mid-fifties) starting to scramble for retirement, and then they see us (I'm 38, DH is 45) saying, "Right, we'll be able to retire in about five years. All it takes is a little savings and planning, and the younger you start the sooner you'll get there."

These are NOT forced discussions or lectures, just the facts of our lifestyle and what our nieces and nephews have been seeing in their own families adding up.

So count me in the "they'll ask you when they're ready" camp.

That said, if I were going to give them a financial book at their age, I'd choose either ESR_Bob's book or something else written in a conversational style. I didn't care for The Richest Man in Babylon when I read it, but apparently I'm in the minority, so it might be good, as well.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:39 AM   #31

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/rebooks.html

http://www.diehards.org/readbooks.htm
Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc
I'm with Alex - The Richest Man in Babylon should be required reading for high school students.
I give this book as a gift to someone every year, and they always have great things to say about it. It really should be REQUIRED reading for HS students.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for your recommendations - I got the following -

The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
The Automatic Millionaire
The Millionaire Next Door

While young boys don't want to read these types of books at their age, they will have an incentive to read these, as this is part of their gift - a follow-up discussion of the concepts found in the book will trigger the rest of their gift! Nothing like old fashioned bribery to get them to do the right thing. They can read it sooner and collect the gift faster, or take their time and wait. My guess is that they will try and get through it fast!

I only wish someone did this for me at that age. As others have mentioned, this is one area where are schools are failing our kids - basic financial concepts should be taught in schools.

I expect to be spending more time here as I am looking to cut the cord in about a year! Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Vanguard just came out with a list of recommended books for the investor on your holiday gift list. Many familiar titles on the list...and a few that were new to me.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've always been irritated by the school's irresponsibility regarding finances.
If we're going to teach quadratic equations and retrograde motion shouldn't
The Rule of 72 or the fact that 'time' is their greatest controllable factor towards
wealth be taught as well. Everyone by senior year has probably heard, "your house is your best investment", "you'll always have a car/mortgage/tax payment so just get used to it"' or the best of all, "you need a credit card in case of emergencies".

I talk to my 11 year old about money and investing ideas fairly regularly... of course
he's a chip off the old block. He does seem fascinated then runs off to video games,
but at least I'm hoping some of it sticks!

Anyway, I may have found my ER calling, maybe even parttime income. If I can just
convince the school's to give me life benefits rather than salary!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowTwitcher
If we're going to teach quadratic equations and retrograde motion shouldn't
The Rule of 72 or the fact that 'time' is their greatest controllable factor towards
wealth be taught as well. Everyone by senior year has probably heard, "your house is your best investment", "you'll always have a car/mortgage/tax payment so just get used to it"' or the best of all, "you need a credit card in case of emergencies".

I talk to my 11 year old about money and investing ideas fairly regularly... of course
he's a chip off the old block. He does seem fascinated then runs off to video games,
but at least I'm hoping some of it sticks!

Anyway, I may have found my ER calling, maybe even parttime income. If I can just
convince the school's to give me life benefits rather than salary!
I could not agree more. As companies continue the trend away from offering pensions, educating kids about finances and especially the benefits of starting early - even with small amounts - is more critical than ever before. Any chance I get, I sit people down and show them the Rule fo 72 - it gets their attention. If we cannot count on the schools to do this, then how do we get the word out - on a large enough scale to make a difference?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc
I could not agree more. As companies continue the trend away from offering pensions, educating kids about finances and especially the benefits of starting early - even with small amounts - is more critical than ever before. Any chance I get, I sit people down and show them the Rule fo 72 - it gets their attention. If we cannot count on the schools to do this, then how do we get the word out - on a large enough scale to make a difference?
Volunteer to go in and give talks at local high schools

I can see it now...an Early Retirement Education Association....spreading the word

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowTwitcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc
I could not agree more. As companies continue the trend away from offering pensions, educating kids about finances and especially the benefits of starting early - even with small amounts - is more critical than ever before.
Dang, it's almost as if the government seems to want the public to be financially ignorant and pay extra taxes.

If the schools don't teach financial management to our kids, how can they expect the parents to do it?!? Oh, wait, financial managment is just basic math and doesn't require partial differential equations...

Seriously, are any of you parents expecting the schools to show your kid how to balance a checkbook when they're not even allowed to teach how to put on a condom or shoot a firearm?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Dang, it's almost as if the government seems to want the public to be financially ignorant and pay extra taxes.

If the schools don't teach financial management to our kids, how can they expect the parents to do it?!? Oh, wait, financial managment is just basic math and doesn't require partial differential equations...

Seriously, are any of you parents expecting the schools to show your kid how to balance a checkbook when they're not even allowed to teach how to put on a condom or shoot a firearm?
I don't worry about my kids. I do worry a lot about most of the kids - who don't have parents who with knowledge in this area - those are the kids who we will be taking care of down the road. And yes I'd like to see the schools take some of that money I send them and spend it on something important.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Scott Burns has a few more suggestions in this week's column:
http://assetbuilder.com/?p=362#more-362

Tobias' "Only Investment Guide"
"Getting Rich in America"
"Four Pillars"
"Boglehead's Guide"
"Birth of Plenty"

And, surprisingly for Scott Burns,

"How To Retire Happy, Wild, & Free"...

BTW for those of you still working through post-FIRE survivor's guilt and looking for a good cover story, you could try Scott's "Chief Investment Strategist for AssetBuilder, Inc."