basic capital gains tax question

davidbeitz

Dryer sheet wannabe
i have a very basic federal tax question concerning capital gains. if i generate $10,000 in cap gains in 2020, how will it be taxed? Assume held for more than one year, $80,000 W-2 income, married filing joint, no other income and disregarding state taxes.

In the case above my AGI will be $90,000, my taxable income will be $65,200 ($90,000-$24,800) so i owe no long term capital gains tax and the $10,000 will not be taxed as regular income, correct?

Thanks in advance

On your federal return.

You might owe state income taxes. My state taxes capital gains as income, and I'm fairly sure it's not the only one.

For the years immediately after I stopped having earned income, I sold and immediately bought back my stock shares in order to book capital gains that I did not have to pay Fed tax on. I went up to the tax bracket limit for no tax on cap gains.

The same shares were then tax-free for subsequent withdrawals for spending. Nice!

That money has been mostly spent, and I am now back to paying taxes on IRA/401k withdrawal. Bummer!

For the years immediately after I stopped having earned income, I sold and immediately bought back my stock shares in order to book capital gains that I did not have to pay Fed tax on. I went up to the tax bracket limit for no tax on cap gains.

The same shares were then tax-free for subsequent withdrawals for spending. Nice!

That money has been mostly spent, and I am now back to paying taxes on IRA/401k withdrawal. Bummer!

That’s my plan, too! Will take me from 54 to 59 to accomplish, unless there’s a big downtown.

You will not pay federal taxes on Long term capital gains at that income level. You will stay under the threshold.

The tax treatment of this and qualified dividends surprised me now that I have no wage. I just wasn't paying attention.

On doing a pro forma try at our taxes this year, I was happily shocked at the low amount of fed tax. Not happy about state tax though.

i have a very basic federal tax question concerning capital gains. if i generate $10,000 in cap gains in 2020, how will it be taxed? Assume held for more than one year, $80,000 W-2 income, married filing joint, no other income and disregarding state taxes.

In the case above my AGI will be $90,000, my taxable income will be $65,200 ($90,000-$24,800) so i owe no long term capital gains tax and the $10,000 will not be taxed as regular income, correct?

Thanks in advance

Will not be taxed as ordinary income.... since your taxable income is under $80k the $10k of capital gains will be in the 0% preferenced income bracket... a long way of saying it is tax-free... congratulations!

It will still count toward your ACA MAGI though if you use subsidies.

Back
Top Bottom