Basic money issues book

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Years ago I read one of the "all about money" book (I can't remember the exact title) which covered all sorts of money topics - different kinds of taxes, credit cards (interest etc.), mutual funds (what they were, tax treatment), stocks & bonds, tax deferred accounts & their funding, .. you get the point.

It was a great help to me in getting started on a financially reponsible path. I see a lot of new members asking very fundamental questions such as these. Our usual suspects on the recommended reading (Bogle, Bernstein) don't address all these basics.

I found one on amazon
Amazon.com: Kiplinger's Practical Guide to Your Money: Keep More of It, Make It Grow, Enjoy It, Protect It, Pass It On (Kiplinger's Personal Finance) (9781427797285): Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine Editors: Books

Any other recommendations?

Others in the same genre are authored by
Sylvia Porter
Jane Bryant Quinn
Walter Updegrave
Wall Street Journal
etc.

Still the best list I know of for all things money/investing...

Investment Books

My favorite is still The Four Pillars of Investing, but we all have our own unique needs. If any of these interest you, you can ask questions about specific books here and get all sorts of feedback.

Andrew Tobias' The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need was the general financial book that made a positive, lasting impression on me when I was starting out.

The advice was good, if not particulary deep, and his humor kept me interested enough to read it all the way through.

Last edited:
Andrew Tobias' The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need was the general financial book that made a positive, lasting impression on me when I was starting out.

The advice was good, if not particulary deep, and his humor kept me interested enough to read it all the way through.

+1

+2

Also, Personal Finance for Dummies. Not as entertaining as Tobias, but probably covers more information.

+2

Also, Personal Finance for Dummies. Not as entertaining as Tobias, but probably covers more information.

I always recommend Personal Finance for Dummies--info is very accessible and easy to understand for all ages.

I have a soft spot for Burton Malkiel's "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" as it was the first investment book I read at a time when I was inclined to make real changes in my life.

Thanks for the input. I was looking for books that are more basic than those in Nord's list or the list in our FAQ forum. There was a time when I didn't know what an IRA or a mutual fund was - and that's what these books will explain.

I have listed the recommended books below
Kiplingers-Practical-Guide-Your-Money
Andrew Tobias' The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
Personal Finance for Dummies
Others in the same genre are authored by
Sylvia Porter
Jane Bryant Quinn
Walter Updegrave
Wall Street Journal

Moderators: Is it possible to add this to the FAQ forum?

I have a soft spot for Burton Malkiel's "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" as it was the first investment book I read at a time when I was inclined to make real changes in my life.

+1

It was the book that got us started down the path to wiser investing. The other piece was an expensive lesson in VA's :cool:.

This site and Bogleheads is where I have learned so much about the other money issues.

Thanks folks!

DD

I second the motion to include in the FAQ's

Back
Top Bottom