battery consuming...

Enuff2Eat

Full time employment: Posting here.
All,

It seems as a family we spent a ton of money on battery for stuffs around the house. We got at least a dozen things such as cameras, clocks, walkman, remotes, toys and more toys, ...etc... we tried rechargeable battery that lasted for awhile then only to find out it might even cost more than a regular battery. :(:(:(:(

any thought on this issue?? comment or suggestion is appreciated.

enuff

REWahoo,

Excellent point. I don't have any data to back up my statement. I just felt average $.75/AA battery (on sale) at local drug store which is appx. $15 per 20 AA versus ~$20/ 4AA rechargeable battery charger is a close match.

Enuff, I'm certainly no expert on battery costs but everything I've seen points to rechargables costing less, maybe significantly less in the long run. I know I've had very good luck with some of the new "hybrid" rechargeable batteries due to a longer shelf life - retaining a charge much longer before you place them into use. Plus they can be reused hundreds if not thousands of times.

Enuff, I'm certainly no expert on battery costs but everything I've seen points to rechargables costing less, maybe significantly less in the long run. I know I've had very good luck with some of the new "hybrid" rechargeable batteries due to a longer shelf life - retaining a charge much longer before you place them into use. Plus they can be reused hundreds if not thousands of times.

What he said.

I bought a recharger for my Wii remote (including 2 AA rechargable batteries) not long ago, and while not as cheap as the deal travelover found on rechargable batteries, it has already paid for itself.

I buy Costco AAs for 20 cents apiece and use NiMH rechargeables for things like cameras and toys that are power hungry. If you look around you can find a bargain on a charger and batteries as a set.

Amazon.com: Duracell Value Charger With 4AA Pre Charged Rechargeable Nimh Batteries, CEF14DX4N: Electronics

$10 for 4 batteries and a charger with free shipping over $25. Buy three!
It's interesting to read the customer reviews. Amuses me that some people really get into it. The first one knows that "Duracell Pre Charged AA are rebranded Sanyo eneloop cells."

I have the same problem with kids toys for DD3. Its hard to find a toy that does not have a battery.

Camera forums are full of battery discussions. Sanyo Eneloops (NiMH rechargable) have the highest reputation and can be purchased from many places including Costco. They are so-called "hybrid" which don't lose much of their charge while sitting around. They generally do not have the capacity of some others though. One also needs a decent charger to "break in" rechargeable batteries, to "refresh" them back from the dead, and to generally treat them nice. Maha chargers (MH C9000) are mentioned many times in a positive way.

I have used neither of these products, but use Kodak, Pearstone, Duracell NiMH AA rechargeables with cheap chargers. The feature I look for in a charger is an LED indicator when the batteries are charged, that it stops charging when batteries are charged except for a small trickle charge. I use my batteries for external flash units and charge them once or twice a week. So far no problems.

I buy Costco AAs for 20 cents apiece and use NiMH rechargeables for things like cameras and toys that are power hungry. If you look around you can find a bargain on a charger and batteries as a set.

Amazon.com: Duracell Value Charger With 4AA Pre Charged Rechargeable Nimh Batteries, CEF14DX4N: Electronics

$10 for 4 batteries and a charger with free shipping over $25. Buy three!

My strategy exactly - Costco AAs for items that sit on the shelf for months, NiMH rechargeable for power hogs.

I've been using eneloops and some other non-hybrid NiMH batteries exclusively (i.e. no alkalines) for about a year and a half.

I've had a few no name brand NiMHs go bad, but that's all.

Most chargers take 2-4 watts of power. Some take zero watts once the batteries are charged. Others, even those that stop charging, still take some power. I like to have batteries sitting in the charger ready to go at any time.

I've used the eneloops even for devices that take very little power (clocks, remote controls, for example).

i use the eneloops in all my camera flashes... great battery

Back
Top Bottom