Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a military-retiree, I worked in a career that offered a 20-year pension, not a large pension, but just enough. If you buy and pay-off your home, and have a bit of investment income on the side, anyone from my career field can do pretty well retiring 'early'.

So you would think that it would be safe to talk about finances among my former co-workers, right?

No, 99% of them failed to pay off their homes, and they failed to have any investments. So their pensions are not anywhere enough to support them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a couple of ex-BILs who run in circles, that, if they had any inkling that we were FIREd, would likely direct violence towards us if they thought it could get them our money. So DW does not talk finances at all with the sister who had been married to them.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't remember were we bought our sign but its on amazon. There are several derivatives if you look around.

It's really dropped the number of people who knock. There are some that can't read.

https://www.amazon.com/Collins-CS-62...=fsclp_pl_dp_9
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
What the hell kind of financial advisor goes door to door looking for business??
As OldShooter says, it's a requirement at Edward Jones.

I don't think I'd do anything to convince a cold-caller I was well off; it would just encourage them. Decades ago I'd get cold calls on my office phone, mostly from boiler-room types who may have gotten hold of a directory of actuaries. (My last name is very early in the alphabetic listing, too.) I'd just tell them that I couldn't save much because I was the sole support of the family, which was true during the last 5 years of my marriage and after my divorce. My savings were actually pretty healthy but they didn't need to know that.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #25

Quote:
What the hell kind of financial advisor goes door to door looking for business??
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
As OldShooter says, it's a requirement at Edward Jones.
Then allow me to rephrase my question:
Who the hell would use Edward Jones as an advisor
Be careful who you talk finances with!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Be careful who you talk finances with!

Not talking about finances is tough when I look around at w*rk and so many of them *could* FIRE if they only had the knowledge. I would never give my financial details to coworkers, of course, (even though everyone’s base pay is just a Google search away). But it’s difficult to want to spread the “gospel” of FIRE without people immediately assuming we’re on this track and therefore maybe alienating ourselves.

Not exactly related to the OP’s example, but it brings to mind my constant frustration. The battle between privacy/staying in my lane versus “This is amazing, I want everyone to know about it!”
Old 12-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Sadly, many.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I have read that new Eddie Jones reps are encouraged or even required to do this. So it probably doesn't imply anything at all about the individual except that his book of business is thin to nonexistent.

Yep, that's how my do nothing highschool friends were introduced to investing. They invested with EJ because the door to door salesmen was a pretty blonde. Hey, if it works it works. I didn't think they would ever invest a dime. Something tells me they've taken some withdrawals though haha.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #29

When an FA approaches, I immediately go to the expense ratio. Usually ends with, well we can't beat that but we have some other services...click.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Embarrassing for them--they couldn't tell him to ask you if it was okay for him to come over? Is he going to all their friends' homes unannounced (and not immediately identifying himself as the SIL of close friends)? I'd be peeved that they gave him my address etc.
That was my first thought, too. My second thought was about giving a total stranger any sort of financial information beyond "We're OK, and don't need your help, thank you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I just read an old Sue Grafton novel, and in it the narrator describes explaining to Jehovah's Witnesses on her doorstep that she'd be happy to have a conversation, but she wanted their home address so she could knock on their door when it was convenient for her, and try to convince them that her religious beliefs were more valid than theirs.

I thought that was pretty good.
Good one. I wonder what the response would be?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Marko,
My coworker buddy and I are both close to retirement. We were talking about rolling over our 401K accounts after we quit.

He still plays basketball in an "old guys" league. He mentioned that 3-4 of the guys in his league have changed jobs late in their careers. You guessed it, they are all "financial advisors".

One of these guys was a teacher. He told him that he had to go through some training for six months, and he was ready to go. My friend doesn't like the idea of giving guys like this 1% of his IRA annually to manage his money, and he really doesn't like the idea that his financial advisor dude is operating on six months of training.

I suspect every financial advisor in their specific office allocates clients money the same way based on the client's age and how much they have anyway. I see this as just another reason to skip the FA, and do it yourself.

It sounds like we might start seeing more door to door type financial advisor sales people. So far all I have observed are the mailings inviting me to have a free dinner while listening to their sales pitch.

Personally my door bell quit working about 20 years ago, and I never fixed it. I like it that way.

Take care,

JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
... I suspect every financial advisor in their specific office allocates clients money the same way based on the client's age and how much they have anyway. ...
My experience (as a spectator, fortunately) is that priority #1 is maximizing commissions. Priority #2 is meeting sales goals for certain products, including products that are offering incentives such as vacation trips. Then, maybe, priority #3 is helping the client.

I took over DM's finances some years before her death. She had so little income that we didn't even file tax returns after a while. In her papers, I found a confirm where she had purchased a bunch of a Dreyfus muni fund. The confirm was marked "unsolicited trade." Right. Undoubtedly Dreyfus had a sales contest going and, to his great astonishment, that rep had been buried in "unsolicited" orders.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #33

We have only had one come to our door. Several years ago.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #34

We have a grumpy cat sign with him holding up his paw with a middle finger up saying no soliciting. If someone rings the door bell I ask if they are stupid or just can’t read. We were getting many solicitors a week and now rarely get one.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #35

No solicitors ever is one benefit of condo living in a secured development.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #36

I never have anyone come to the door the dog pack wouldn't allow it.

When Ms.G and I were writing our will the attorney was asking why a couple of yahoo's like us would need one. He about fell out of his plush chair when he saw our net worth and last statement.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
.... We also live in a subdivision of nicer homes....
Might consider moving to a gated community :`)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
...before he could go on I politely told him about our generous financial situation in some detail including our home being paid off. Well, he was of course blown away...
You provided a complete stranger with details of your financial situation? This is definitely not my approach to life. One of the nice things about my current situation is that I'm living comfortably but entirely without ostentation. The last thing I would want to do is suggest to a stranger that I might have a little stashed away. The crime mapping website regularly supplied with data by the local sheriff supports my approach: the upper-middle-class subdivision next door experiences much more crime activity than my relatively middle-class subdivision. The thieves are smart enough to go where the assets are, I guess.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe we need a rerun of our stealth wealth thread.
Just saying.
We don’t tell nobody nothing
Choices is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Well, I think a lot of people. A fella I flew with in the Air Force became an EJ FA back in 2013. He drank the Kool Aide (a requirement for the job) and is doing quite well...at least I assume as he has recently bought a brand new Porsche 911. For the first year he was doing it, he pestered me constantly to let him "help" me with my finances. Uh...no.

I have heard that EJ advisors go hunting for new clients in neighborhoods that have "large mature trees, long cars, and fat squirrels."