Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Mine did too. In fact, they drummed into me the idea of not touching one's anything.

Ha
That too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We can't help spending less than our 4% + Inflation allowance each year, due to the current market conditions, but my spreadsheet keeps track of the how much less. That amount goes in to the fun money column, to be spent in better times.
I retired in Sept. '08 but added the inflation rate to the 4% amount for '09. I expect a tax refund which will be about a month and a half PF withdrawal. I'll keep that amount and some other odd additions and savings as an emergency fund.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired in 2000 and began a 4% WD rate. With the recent market downturn I am at 6% WD. Beginning next year I will collect SS and my WD rate will drop to 3.5% if my balance stays the same.

Going forward, I estimate I'll be around for another 25 years max, so if the market rebounds, I will have no problem taking a 5% WD in good years.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The logic that the percentage should be adjusted with valuations is correct, but the idea that shares are currently cheap is wrong.

4% is the rate for someone who retires in an average year. Starting in the early nineties and ending last year, shares have been overvalued, so a valuation-adjusted rate for people retiring during that period would have been less than 4%. We are back at average valuations now, so 4% (not more) is the right figure now.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjking View Post
The logic that the percentage should be adjusted with valuations is correct, but the idea that shares are currently cheap is wrong.
Depends on how you value the market.

Relative to historical levels, the 100-year trend line and some P/E measures, stocks are roughly at "fair value," down from "horrifically overvalued" 9 years ago.

But relative to current interest rates, stocks are very cheap. A 6% earnings yield looks a lot cheaper with 3% Treasuries than with 8% Treasuries.

In reality, anyone can cherrypick their favorite metric to make valuations look either insanely cheap or wickedly overvalued.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Depends on how you value the market.

Relative to historical levels, the 100-year trend line and some P/E measures, stocks are roughly at "fair value," down from "horrifically overvalued" 9 years ago.

But relative to current interest rates, stocks are very cheap. A 6% earnings yield looks a lot cheaper with 3% Treasuries than with 8% Treasuries.

In reality, anyone can cherrypick their favorite metric to make valuations look either insanely cheap or wickedly overvalued.
My bible on the subject of valuation is "Valuing Wall Street." The book presents a thorough argument that there are two valid methods for valuing the stock-market, the q ratio and cyclically-adjusted PE's. They also review and demolish the arguments for alternative methods. If I recall correctly, they are particularly scathing about the idea that a comparison with bond interest rates tells you anything at all. (I think this valuation method falls into the category of what they sarcastically refer to as "stock-broker economics," completely spurious arguments whose only purpose is to convince people to buy shares. At different times different "stock-broker economics" arguments are deployed for that purpose. In fairness, I will say that I have seen such arguments deployed in serious newspapers, such as the Financial Times.)

Cyclically-adjusted PE is saying shares are fairly valued. Somewhat worryingly, revised figures recently released by the US federal government have caused the authors of "Valuing Wall Street" to revise their q ratio estimate to put shares at still 30% overvalued. Obviously the two measures should agree, so there is a fair margin of error involved. Still, what's a 30% discrepancy, when seen against the backdrop that shares were heading toward 300% overvalued in 2000?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SEC yield(usually 3% minimum) of my portfolio in 'perceived hard times' and 5% variable when it's bon temps rolliere and party til you puke.

16th year of ER and not getting any younger.

Dat's kinda 4% give or take a warm hand grenade - or horsehoe.

I always thought it was a scream where these cats use computers/spreadsheets and deep analysis to come up with 4% - which just happened to be close to old thirty year portfolio's div/interest aka SEC yield in modern speak.

Heck - the Norwegian widow had that figured in 1948 - longhand, no 2 pencil using the back of an envelope waiting for her dividend checks by the mailbox.

Of course - after 1970 - we had pssst Wellesley.

heh heh heh -