Join Early Retirement Today

Bear Mkt has begun.My FIRE plans solidified.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Bear Mkt has begun.My FIRE plans solidified.

I think we have finally begun this inevitable Bear. The S&P 500 peaked Sept 20 at 2930 and is falling. I’m in this OMY or TMY mode right now, but I’m also banking on a 3.5 SWR, and SORR is a concern if i want to maintain a nice/current life in my high COL area of Seattle. I’m only 51. When I punch out I want to do it for good and not have to go back and be a Walmart greeter. Plus, I love living in the great PNW. But, everday is precious; “The future is uncertain and the end is always near.” A handful of close friends have died or are battling cancer.

The Plan: With the average Bear market lasting approx. 18 mo, then I think the bottom of this Bear will be somewhere around March 2020; S&P 500 at 2344 (-20%). Therefore, I should work for the mega corp man until March 2020 and then FIRE. During now and then I do some major DCA, load up on Dividend ETFs for the after tax account, and reap the benefits of the 401K employer match. I’ll be 53 and DW 57 by then. I can do it even though my heart wants to FIRE now!
JackJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJester View Post
I think we have finally begun this inevitable Bear. The S&P 500 peaked Sept 20 at 2930 and is falling. I’m in this OMY or TMY mode right now, but I’m also banking on a 3.5 SWR, and SORR is a concern if i want to maintain a nice/current life in my high COL area of Seattle. I’m only 51. When I punch out I want to do it for good and not have to go back and be a Walmart greeter. Plus, I love living in the great PNW. But, everday is precious; “The future is uncertain and the end is always near.” A handful of close friends have died or are battling cancer.

The Plan: With the average Bear market lasting approx. 18 mo, then I think the bottom of this Bear will be somewhere around March 2020; S&P 500 at 2344 (-20%). Therefore, I should work for the mega corp man until March 2020 and then FIRE. During now and then I do some major DCA, load up on Dividend ETFs for the after tax account, and reap the benefits of the 401K employer match. I’ll be 53 and DW 57 by then. I can do it even though my heart wants to FIRE now!
What if the bear doesn't really start for 2 more years? Can you just work 2 more after that? Get your numbers right whether the markets cooperate or not. The market never does what you think it will do it seems. Good luck in your quest for FIRE.

VW
Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

If this is truly the start of a bear, then it will serve to perhaps break some of the irrational exuberance that some folks may have based on the past 10 years of performance. The market will do what the market feels like doing. Sitting on enough cash and income that the accounts can sit there and get dusty, if that is what it takes.

I think it is a bit early to put dates on when the low will be in, but it does not hurt to do some planning, and consider the 'what ifs' associated with market volatility, and the ups and downs.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That’s not going to be the timing. Every bear market is different. No one knows when it will start or how long it will last. It will confound everybody, including you.

You certainly don’t know if one has started yet.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Bears around here are going to sleep for a few months. I'd be like a bear.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Of course you can't predict. I'm just going from averages. I run firecalc a lot and play with 'what if' scenarios. But SORR is a real concern. The longest running Bull has to end sometime. Retiring at the beginning of a Bear could cause pain since I need to 72T due to my limited amount of after tax $. I know firecalc accounts for this, but I still stress over it. I think everyone that is "close" to FIRE has to wrestle with the OMY decision and whether I'm close enough. That's where I'm at. I just hope this Bear kicks in while still working and then I'm golden. Of course, if the Bull kicks in and rages OMY, then that would be good too ...and it might be a wash. Its a major decision as to when to FIRE as you all know. Too many unknowns with HC and SS.
JackJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Some food for thought - If your investments just keep up with inflation your 30 year SWR is 3.33% (100 / 30 years). Ten year TIPS are yielding inflation + 1.06%, with the relative safety of Treasury bonds.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Of course you can't predict. I'm just going from averages. I run firecalc a lot and play with 'what if' scenarios. But SORR is a real concern. The longest running Bull has to end sometime. Retiring at the beginning of a Bear could cause pain since I need to 72T due to my limited amount of after tax $. I know firecalc accounts for this, but I still stress over it. I think everyone that is "close" to FIRE has to wrestle with the OMY decision and whether I'm close enough. That's where I'm at. I just hope this Bear kicks in while still working and then I'm golden. Of course, if the Bull kicks in and rages OMY, then that would be good too ...and it might be a wash. Its a major decision as to when to FIRE as you all know. Too many unknowns with HC and SS.
Part of retirement planning is planning for SORR, but trying to time your retirement date as a way of eliminating SORR is not a plan, it's a guess. There are other ways of dealing with SORR.

For example, temporarily putting aside enough cash to cover your first few years if necessary might be another approach. Then, after you have been retired for a while and SORR is no longer as big a concern, you can invest whatever you did not need for living expenses during those first few years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:33 AM   #9

You'll work until you're 53 and then the market will present you with something new to think about. If a bear happens, will it have ended? OMY. If we are still in a bull, when will the bear cometh? OMY. If it is still suffering from ADD, OMY. You won't know anything more about the market 2 years from now than you already know now.

What you will have done is mitigate SORR by having 2 fewer years to fund and have more money saved. Therein lies the decision. Don't base it on what the markets are doing or might do. Base it on do I have enough.

I have a spreadsheet that I can simulate everything from armageddon to rosy. If I work long enough to mitigate armageddon, I may be able to retire in 8 years. If I am rosy, I could retire today. The answer lies somewhere in between.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:14 AM   #10

"I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer."

Quote:
........“The future is uncertain and the end is always near.” ..........
Not a bad plan. Not a bad plan at all!
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:32 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

OP.....Never mind about the bear market.

Could you look into your crystal ball and tell me if the Rams will cover the spread versus the "Bears" this Sunday?

Right now that is the only "bear" I care about!

I can't bear to talk about this anymore.
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:12 AM   #12

Quote:

Never mind the dates. Maybe you should use the next two years (or however long it takes for you to feel comfortable) to restructure your savings so you don't have to rely on a 72 (t). Ramping up your after tax accounts makes sense, but why dividend payers if you are going to spend principal anyway?

What else is going on in the Jester financial picture? Paid off house? That helps a lot. No income taxes in Washington to plan for, that's very helpful on the expense side. Have you tracked your spending to see if you have a good handle on what you will spend after retirement? Are there places to cut so you can save more? Is Mrs. Jester working? Does she have separate savings? What about Social Security? Have you planned out who takes it when?

Sorting all of this out is more important right now than when the bear market starts or how long it lasts. No one knows that. Being prepared for the inevitable down market and planning for retirement in spite of it is what counts.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Part of retirement planning is planning for SORR, but trying to time your retirement date as a way of eliminating SORR is not a plan, it's a guess. There are other ways of dealing with SORR.

For example, temporarily putting aside enough cash to cover your first few years if necessary might be another approach. Then, after you have been retired for a while and SORR is no longer as big a concern, you can invest whatever you did not need for living expenses during those first few years.
+1

1. Set your date
2. Select an allocation that you are comfortable with
3. Have 3 to 5 years of cash on the side to cover your fixed expenses.

Or as Ron Popeill used to say, "set it and forget it."

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
"I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer."

Not a bad plan. Not a bad plan at all!
It's close enough to 5PM Friday in Moscow.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLoco View Post
OP.....Never mind about the bear market.

Could you look into your crystal ball and tell me if the Rams will cover the spread versus the "Bears" this Sunday?

Right now that is the only "bear" I care about!

I can't bear to talk about this anymore.
Da Bears!

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:43 AM   #16

What is SORR?

If we are in a Bear dip, keep working and save, save, save.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
What is SORR?

If we are in a Bear dip, keep working and save, save, save.
I believe OP was referring to Sequence Of Returns Risk. The same thing that's giving me heartburn at the moment, doing ER early Jan at 55 yo. Fortunately, we have enough after tax saved to weather a bear market without having to sell equities, but it's psychologically difficult to watch your paper net worth get hammered day in, day out right when you're getting ready to or have recently turned off the W-2 income streams..

I did feel a WHOLE lot better about things at Dow 26.7K than I do at Dow 24.5K..I know stocks will go up and stocks will go down. In principal, that's all just fine and ducky. But none of us want that to happen RIGHT AS we are ER'ing..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:31 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I retired in spring of 2016. The markets at that time were sketchy and people would say I wouldn't retire the markets are going to crash. I still retired then and from about the time I retired the market started to go up from 16000 to above 26000 since the day I retired. Who would of known that would be the case. Trying to out guess what is going to happen equals failure and won't turn out how you wanted it to be any way.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #19

Two thirds of economists think we will be in a recession by the end of 2020, according to comments just made by a CNBC analyst.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-07-2018, 06:39 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Two thirds of economists think we will be in a recession by the end of 2020, according to comments just made by a CNBC analyst.
Are they the same economists who predicted the last twelve of our three recessions?