Before I visit the FA- maxed out SEP-IRA contribu

A854321

Recycles dryer sheets
Financial newbie here- single, 15 years to FIR-Normal. Have SEP-IRA with maximum contributions, now at $1.6 mill. When I use FIRECalc, I get a comfy number, but I am looking for lots of fun as well as security after retirement. Would plan on keeping my home (low taxes, low tax state, easy to maintain) but would plan on extended overseas traveling, 3-4 months at at time.
Finally freed up mortage/cc/car obligations and have $8000 after-tax dollars per month to invest for retirement and get adjusted to LWYM.
Have been reading like mad about 4%SWR, various types of investments. And, yes I will start interviewing FA soon.
However, I am sooo embarrassed about my lack of expertise. Based on the above information, what sort of things would you do with this $8000/month?

Forgot to mention- currently in 33% tax bracket. <ouch>

As a starter, check out the Diehard book list and read as many of them as possible as they are all loaded with good advice here:Investment Books

Start with :The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing and The Coffeehouse Investor , then read the rest of them.

Without a basic self-education an a base it is very difficult to know where to go (like having a good map on a trip.)

Good Luck!

Agreed with Mickey. Reading Bogleheads' will get you a great grounding before you interview anyone.

Have you not had an FA before and want one now?

There are some great FAs and there are some horrible ones. The problem can come down to how they're compensated as well. You can look for a fee-only one as a way to mitigate that a bit, potentially. Just ask lots of questions until you're comfortable and walk the minute you're not.

Another option that you might want to consider is hiring a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA). They make a percentage based on the amount of assets under management (AUM). One of the better known, well-respected RIA companies around is Portfolio Solutions (Welcome to Portfolio Solutions). Frankly, there's a good chance that I'll go with them once I get closer to retirement.

Back
Top Bottom