Join Early Retirement Today

Beginning of the end
Old 01-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Beginning of the end

Oh how it ends in ignomy, I'm just surprised at how quickly this is unwinding. Spring, earliest, I had thought.

NYC mayor: housing market "dramatically" slowing

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060120/...newyorkcity_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday said the real estate market was slowing "dramatically" and only a "miracle" could stop soaring mortgage rates from eating into housing prices.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Beginning of the end
Old 01-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eh, keep your pants on. Bloomberg is preparing for a budget showdown with the state legislature and Gov. Pataki (who is posturing for a possible Presidential bid). Hizzoner is just getting his ducks lined up for the coming division of the pie.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

We'll see if this link will work: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/graphs/[...]

Thirty year fixed rates are at 5.64%, versus about 5.20% about one year ago ... and a 5 / 1 ARM is now 5.2% versus 4.6% over the same time period. Not enough to get upset about, from my perspective. I remember plenty of times when anything below 10% was a win ... with less appreciation than seen currently.

I agree we have had a bubble, and I too tend to think it will be somewhat painful correcting ... but to say
Quote:
"Rates for mortgages are 200 basis points higher than a year ago, the cost of heating oil -- we all know has gone up -- and taxes have gone up and expenses have gone up," he said.
? I don't know where he's coming up with his interest rate data.

Perhaps it's like that old saying about how do you know when a politician is lying ... his lips are moving ...

Mod EDIT: Shortened URL -BMJ
Old 01-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Take a look at rates for 6 month and 1 year ARMS. Also check out the fully indexed rate on Option ARMs. Up way far...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Take a look at rates for 6 month and 1 year ARMS.* Also check out the fully indexed rate on Option ARMs.* Up way far...
It's situations like this when I'm glad that I'm not staring down an expiration date on FED options...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

5.5% fixed 30... 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote