Join Early Retirement Today

Being charged to make a deposit???
Old 03-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Being charged to make a deposit???

Got cash payments from a couple renters last month. Deposited them with out an issue. Total was under the $10K that the government watches for--actually under $5K if I recall.

Got the statement and was charged an "analysis fee" because we deposited the cash. I am more than a little angry about this. I don't recall ever seeing this in a fee schedule or consenting to it. It is the first I've heard of such a thing.

A little online reading shows that US Bank and Bank of America use "analysis fee" as sort of a catch-all for almost anything you can think of. I'm still trying to figure out why they can charge me for making a cash deposit!

Anyone got an inside scoop on this?
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds absurd. You should pull all your cash out and never return. These banks are not paying anything anyway, so it is not like you will loose anything. Also cash has the advantage of not being subject to "bail ins", judgments, or other legal shenanigans.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #3

Not enough details to know what's going on but quick internet search for "Bank of America cash deposit fee" picks up a lot of hits. One example below. Personally I'd drop the account and write a letter to the bank president and the BBB. No matter what their stated rules are, seems outrageous and there are lots of alternatives to BOA.

BTW - I've never used BOA and never will. Have a daughter that dumped this awful bank due to their outrageous fees. After hearing her stories and doing some research on the web, I'm amazed these guys continue to get business.

BofA, for example, says some of its business accounts levy a fee of 20 cents for every $100 in cash deposited after an initial $10,000. Citibank charges 10 cents for every $100 in cash deposited after an initial amount ranging from $5,000 to $20,000, depending on the type of business account.Nov 18, 2011

Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never use BoA (and never will) and certainly would not do business with any bank that charged me to deposit my money, as long as there are alternatives.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #5

Same here... Dumped BoA for the same thing. Working with smaller regional bank who know me by name. Matter of fact, Gayle calls me to talk about cds renewal instead of the standard rollover into a new one. She is in California, me, in Mexico...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

As a BoA stock owner, I say dump them. They are the worst bank in the country, as far as fees. Credit unions, local banks, most other national banks, there are hundreds of options that are better to work with.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Do they need to do this to protect against counterfeits? I'm not sure how good their detecting mechanisms are, are there systems they can just run the cash through to check for all the advanced anti-forging features?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
Not enough details to know what's going on but quick internet search for "Bank of America cash deposit fee" picks up a lot of hits. One example below. Personally I'd drop the account and write a letter to the bank president and the BBB. No matter what their stated rules are, seems outrageous and there are lots of alternatives to BOA.

BTW - I've never used BOA and never will. Have a daughter that dumped this awful bank due to their outrageous fees. After hearing her stories and doing some research on the web, I'm amazed these guys continue to get business.

BofA, for example, says some of its business accounts levy a fee of 20 cents for every $100 in cash deposited after an initial $10,000. Citibank charges 10 cents for every $100 in cash deposited after an initial amount ranging from $5,000 to $20,000, depending on the type of business account.Nov 18, 2011

If the OPs account is a business account.... then there are account analysis fees... banks charge for any kind of transaction.... deposit, checks, having access to sweep, online inquiries, etc. etc..... and if he does have a business account he should be use to this...

If it is a personal account, then they usually do not charge for any of these items since they are rare...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #9

I assumed this was going to be about the new Mobile Deposit features being offered by many banks.

My smaller bank finally started offering this and they are charging a .50 "convenience fee" for the ability to deposit a check from my smartphone. I e-mailed the bank president with my displeasure about it but it didn't change anything.

In response I have decided to use their postage paid mailers to mail every check to them for deposit. Instead of getting .50/deposit I am costing them .49 postage for every deposit. Revenge of the convenience fee.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm sorry but what? that does not make sense to me and just seems another way that companies/banks are trying to make money from those who are tyring make an honest living.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Ahh the old being charged to receive money ploy! Just this weekend I was rankling because Liberty Mutual Insurance wanted payment on a liability policy for some of the rentals. I normally pay the annual premium in full, but whether paying in full or making the minimum deposit there is a $7 "service charge". To get paid. In full.

In this case I could avoid the fee by enrolling in EFT, but screw 'em - I paid with the Fidelity Amex, which got me almost $13 back from Amex while costing the insurance company (I hope) about $19.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If the OPs account is a business account.... then there are account analysis fees... banks charge for any kind of transaction.... deposit, checks, having access to sweep, online inquiries, etc. etc..... and if he does have a business account he should be use to this...

If it is a personal account, then they usually do not charge for any of these items since they are rare...
It is a business account. We created an LLC a couple years ago and opened this account at US Bank. DW tells me we were charged this fee one time in the past but we were very busy with other things at the time and so she just paid it and let it slide. Apparently the fees only kick in when you exceed a certain amount of cash. We seldom get there.

I'm definitely researching other options. The two drawbacks are convenience--this bank is within walking distance of our home and we have a safe deposit box there. Actually the location is just far enough to make it a good exercise break and to get us to walk downtown.

I'm tempted to "structure" my deposits so we don't get hit with fees in the future but apparently that is a big no-no since that could be considered hiding transactions from the feds!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I have small business accounts with 2 banks, including b of a. even with a tiny size account. B of A kisses my butt as a "business account" Neither pay any interest , and b of a charges only a check image fee $2.00 mo. No min. balance requirement. IMO, B of A treats non-business customers with indifference.

The other bank offers "analyzed business checking " that pays interest. Light bulb just came on, they pay interest then analyze how to take it back.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
I'm tempted to "structure" my deposits so we don't get hit with fees in the future but apparently that is a big no-no since that could be considered hiding transactions from the feds!
That sounds like the solution to me. So what if you appear to be "structuring" the deposits? If you have the paper trail showing where that they come from rentals and a rental income and deposit history, you are good.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #15

DS is overseas and got sick of the abundance of fees from B of A so dropped all accounts. We keep all our big money with Fido and monthly move what we need to the local CU which works fine. No fees in either place, but am disappointed that only Fido does the smartphone check deposit. Got tired of zero interest (well, might as well be) at Fido and Cu so opened an online Amex Savings for our cash. Wow. 9/10 of a percent! Am especially fond of the Fido cash account for travel; no ATM fees ever. Something rather marvelous about finding an ATM in the middle of some podunk town in Tanzania and with a few clicks of some keys having it spit tens of thousands of TZ shillings at you!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Got cash payments from a couple renters last month. Deposited them with out an issue. Total was under the $10K that the government watches for--actually under $5K if I recall.

Got the statement and was charged an "analysis fee" because we deposited the cash. I am more than a little angry about this. I don't recall ever seeing this in a fee schedule or consenting to it. It is the first I've heard of such a thing.

A little online reading shows that US Bank and Bank of America use "analysis fee" as sort of a catch-all for almost anything you can think of. I'm still trying to figure out why they can charge me for making a cash deposit!

Anyone got an inside scoop on this?
My first thought was Band of America , so I was not surprised when I got to the 3rd paragraph. We got rid of them yrs. ago....
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Two words - Credit Union. Drop those vampires.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Small Business Sparks checking account with Capital One (where I already had my personal checking account.). I have never been charged *anything* for deposits, either paper check or EFT, either under or over $10,000 (and there are even rewards for using their business debit card). They also have mobile deposit without any charge, although I don't think they allow this for checks greater than $10,000 -- I have to deposit these larger checks in person, by mail, or through their ATMs. (This is the same with my Schwab account - they also won't do mobile deposits above $10K).
smurray5991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #19

If you have a B of A account, you deserve to get hit with every fee they can think of.

Their reputation for this type of activity is so widespread I have to question why you even raise it as an issue. Go find yourself a community bank that doesn't act like they are doing you a favor to let you have an account there.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #20

Ditto on dumping the thieves at BofA. In our case, they charged our account for an auto pay for someone else's insurance. Took three months and two VP's to get the money back.
Besides credit unions, look into your neighborhood community banks. Many of them still offer no cost checking for low transactions accounts.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote