Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've done it. I did it in a way such that I had no repercussions-via a series of private meetings over time with the board of directors. Not a single F.U. departure meeting. It felt good to let the directors know the truth of what went on, and was interesting to watch the fireworks as the consequences of somes poor behavior both personally and professionally played out.

My situation was way different than OPs, small business in a small town, highly public departure.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Being honest to my boss as I walk out the door. Financial ramifications?
Old 09-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Being honest to my boss as I walk out the door. Financial ramifications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Management typically writes off this feedback as "just another one who couldn't make the transition into the new way of doing things". In a perverse sort of way, it may even reassure them into thinking they are accomplishing something positive.

There is one possible downside not to be ignored. If some on the executive team are punitive, or on the prowl for people to push out, they might look toward co-workers, work friends or team members and ask "who else shares these views".

This is my experience. She wants to do things her way and you don't agree. You'll just be written off as an example of someone resistant to change and not willing to get on the bus. Regarding venting to HR...with whom do you really think they are going to side?

Leave and enjoy the aftermath from a distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 09-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My boss gave me a new golf cart when I retired. Even though I didn't agree with all his decisions in management, I was pleased with this one. No slams by me on the way out the door.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Aside from the five minutes of satisfaction from speaking your mind, what would be the benefit?
Nothing will change with either the organization or the boss, and you could potentially be seen as petty by your cow-orkers.

Just walk away with an enigmatic smile on your face. That would be a moment you can remember with pleasure for years.

This ^^^^^^^ and this
Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #45

Regarding your direct questions in the OP, no, they can't sue you for a private conversation. That would be stupid of them to put those issues out in public anyway. Now, if you were to take out a full page ad in the paper and list your issues, you could be sued.

Now the retirement fund, I suppose they might be able to take away if they fire you for cause due to your outburst, especially if you swore at them and were threatening--which you said you wouldn't do.

Just a civil sit down, bluntly stating why you are leaving, should not have any repercussions, except that you can expect your story to be distorted to make you look bad when it's retold, so you might have some explaining to do with any co-workers you see socially.

At most I'd probably keep it brief. If she wants to talk about it more, go ahead, starting with a "since you asked...", if you want to.

I agree with the others, it's unlikely to do any good, but if it makes you feel better, that's certainly something. She'll probably be rewarded for getting rid of one more of the higher paid "old guard" so I don't think going over her head does any good either.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #46

Same basic advice from me: Just go out with a big smile on your face and your head held high. Don't stoop down to their level, it will not make a change and they will just turn it around as you are the problem, not them. You might say a little to HR, but remember HR is always there to protect the company, not you the employee.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

From my experience, not only will it not make a difference, but they will be recounting your exit for weeks - laughing at you. If you leave angry they will feel you were weak and could not handle the changes.

Make your departure about you, not about them. I plan to leave with a simple, "Thank you for providing an opportunity that contributed to my financial independence. I no longer need to work for a living.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #48

won't they give you an exit interview? that's commonplace nowadays
Old 09-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #49

Even if I had been in this situation, I would not have said anything. In my case, there were too many future financial interactions with Megacorp, the most significant being: employer-subsidized health insurance, unvested stock options, and a pension annuity.

In any case, if I had an issue with my boss, he or she would know about it immediately, not as I'm leaving. Whenever I had an issue with an employee, they certainly knew about it immediately. I've had my share of difficult bosses, difficult employees and peers. Also difficult customers and suppliers. I think part of the challenge is learning to successfully navigate this maze of personalities to everyone's benefit. As a card-carrying INTJ, I was never particularly comfortable with any of this. But I learned to survive and thrive, and that enabled ER at 52.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I had a similar situation when I retired and choose to say nothing. While it might have made me feel great at the time, I don't think it would have made one iota difference in the management philosophy of the company or the well-being of my co-workers.

Instead, I chose not to waste one more iota of my energy towards the past and focus only on the future. No regrets whatsoever.
I agree. Nothing else I can add.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Rather than waste your time trying to piss off higher ups, perhaps you can think of a couple of fellow workers who could benefit from looking for a better job and need a reference from you.
Offering to them to be a reference might be enough to encourage some of them to also leave a sinking ship.
Thanks for all the responses!

As for this quote, all the employees agree how bad it is and we have now all teamed up to happily provide each other references and we excitedly keep each other up to date on applying for other jobs as we all deserve much better :-P
Old 09-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #52

It's a job, not a life partner. Start down the new road.

When you have enough $ in your one more year plan, give 2 weeks notice. If an exit interview comes, decline to say anything.That speaks volumes to anyone in HR.

The co. is being run as intended by the management , all the way to the top. This applies to EVERY WORKPLACE. If they were interested in the views of you and your co-workers, the place would not suck so much.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioIndy View Post
TL-DR below
Naturally the team is disintegrating rapidly as the most talented employees are leaving to somewhere that deserves their services. This is going to include me as well very soon. [/b]
When you pull your hand out of a bucket of water, does it leave a hole?

Thought so.

If you're ready to leave / ER, then just do it and don't look back. They don't care and neither should you. You won't regret a thing (I was in the same boat when I left).

_B
Old 09-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #54

P.S. Be ready to leave the same day you give notice. A lot of places will payout the 2 weeks and push you out the door. It's not personal , just the way many employers handle resignations.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #55

While it's been many decades since I worked at a megacorp, like the others I don't see any positives other than five minutes of satisfaction at telling her off, but I see lots of potential negatives if you want to work again or would possibly ever want anything from that company again, like a simple verification of employment.

So I would take the position that it is in your own best interest to not say anything and simply put a wide grin on as you leave. You don't want them to remember you as the asshat who made a speech when you left. What would be better is to have them forget all about you by the time you leave the parking lot.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathFree View Post
Make your departure about you, not about them. I plan to leave with a simple, "Thank you for providing an opportunity that contributed to my financial independence. I no longer need to work for a living.
I like this. Another possible exit observation if they actually ask: "You must be aware of the many reasons I chose to resign. If not, it really won't be useful for me to list them for you."

Still a bridge-burning response but it keeps you from getting down into the dirt with them.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

After reading all of these posts, I'm glad I spent my career at Micro (not Mega) Corp. I've always taken great satisfaction in sacking managers who treat people as their property. Just handed out 50+ watches celebrating 25+ years of employment at Micro Corp too. Running a successful enterprise is so simple (golden rule anyone?) that it amazes me how many leaders screw it up.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I will add my suggestion to follow the exit interview path if one exists and copy the highest person in the hierarchy that you know. Be as brutal but honest with your assessment as you feel you need to. Personally, I've followed up and acted on these many times. It may make a difference for others.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #59

Rio, being "brutally honest", most employers don't care what employees think of them -- especially exiting employees. Just leave.

Most ex-employees quickly become distant memories for a short time and then quickly fade away after that. Just leave.

Just leave.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioIndy View Post
TL-DR below

My department that used to be great has gone down the drain in dramatic fashion since Megacorp swooped in.

The company culture, and this boss, is now focused on creating this elaborate veil they are trying to pull over everyone's eyes where they want to brainwash all the front line employees into doing more work for less money and being happy about it so management can get bigger bonuses. Modern corporate slavery.

My boss has since been readily stepping on everyone else and bullying and abusing the rest of the team, cutting our bonuses and threatening to fire anyone who doesn't smile and nod at every nonsense demand she has. She is clearly only concerned about securing her own position and bonus any way she can and she knows that most of her team is more talented and skilled than she is.

Naturally the team is disintegrating rapidly as the most talented employees are leaving to somewhere that deserves their services. This is going to include me as well very soon.

I have a substantial "F*** Y** fund" stashed away. This was supposed to be my One More Year gig. The financial numbers are always going to be better if I let her walk all over me and stick it out, but every day I hate going in more and more and at some point my day-to-day happiness and self respect are worth more than OMY.

I can sense that I'm getting quite close to having had enough and pulling the plug. And like many people I have a burning desire to be brutally honest with her and I want to rip this ridiculous corporate veil down. Though I would do it without yelling or swearing.

Will this burn bridges? Absolutely, and in my position I am totally ok with that.

Will it make a difference to the company? Probably not much as the problems are systemic now and those seats will eventually be filled by desperate but low performing new employees.

I am fully prepared to end this career entirely and never come back. If I need to work in something else I have references. No matter how I slice it as pragmatic or useful or not, I will regret for a long time not being honest for my own self respect, and that does have a usefulness to my happiness.

So the question is: Other than burning bridges, are there any other ramifications I should be concerned about? Can her or the company somehow charge me or sue me for being honest? (because I am getting the way of their bonuses). I have about 10K in a company matched retirement fund, which is a drop in the bucket, but not nothing, can they somehow take that away?

TL-DR:
-I want to be brutally honest with my terrible, shameless boss as I walk out the door, for my own self respect.
-I have the funds and I am fully prepared to leave this entire industry.
-What could be the consequences other than burning bridges?
No matter how bad it is, you should never burn your bridges as it may come back to haunt you someday. It is better to take the high road and leave on good terms. Just my opinion.

Tags
burning bridges, honesty, omy