Join Early Retirement Today

Being worth more at the end than the start
Old 12-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Being worth more at the end than the start

Here is another question I have for the retired people. What are the odds or percentage would you think that a person retiring and can structure their spending relatively close to what they had at the start of retirement to death.

That a person would be worth more at death then you had at the start of retirement. So at death you will be worth more then when on the first day of retirement.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With proper planning, a person should be able to plan a SWR that keeps their portfolio growing throughout retirement with a 99% probability. They just have to wait to retire until they can accumulate a sufficient amount to fund that SWR first.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

There's at least 2 factors:

1. What return you get on your investment over retirement. If the market does well, it's likely you'll finish with more.

2. Whether you try to have more. It's just not a goal for some people, and they will retire as early as possible and be happy to spend their last dime on their deathbed. Others want to leave money for heirs, or don't want to take any risk at all of running out or having to cut back in old age.

My suggestion is to run Firecalc for your situation and see how many runs wind up with more money than you started with. IIRC for me there were quite a few that did.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #4

Well at 6+ years into FIRE I'm worth a bit more than when I started. So at least for now I'm on the right path.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 AM   #5

If you run numbers in firecalc, you'll see a fair number of scenarios where your net worth after 30 years of being retired is 4x or more your starting NW.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Here is another question I have for the retired people. What are the odds or percentage would you think that a person retiring and can structure their spending relatively close to what they had at the start of retirement to death.

That a person would be worth more at death then you had at the start of retirement. So at death you will be worth more then when on the first day of retirement.
While I can't comment on spending and ending amounts, I will say without exception if you leave a little slack in your budget it would serve you well if you reinvest to build your position once you retire. As has been said not everyone wants to do this. The good thing is it will be an option for you if you choose to do it that way and plan for it.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:04 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Interesting answers and yes there are many factors that come into play with this question. I have used Firecalc many, many times and yes in my case the odds are that I will be worth more. In the real world I wanted to hear from people to see if that really can be the case.

To answer my own question I would say it would be a very high % that if spending stays about the same and the world doesn't end you would most likely have more.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #8

For a long retirement (35+ years) on average I would expect one ends up with more than you started with, since otherwise it would be unsafe to retire in the first place.

Obviously, that's excluding gifting once you realize there's plenty.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #9

Having a nice pension that easily covers your expenses, and includes healthcare coverage, certainly increases the odds.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My wife and I got our education and had good jobs for 36 and 30 years. We worked very hard. We lived within our means, saved for our retirement and took some moderate investment risks that paid off in the long run.

After retiring at 58 and 50 years of age, we are financially stable. But we're going to continue living a reasonable standard of living in retirement.

We don't owe our children a better living than they deserve, and it's up to them to make their own lives and save for their own retirement. Up until now, we've dedicated our lives to our children and grandchildren. Our real estate is substantial, and they'll inherit that. But our investment accounts are there for us to spend, as it's now our time in life.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

kitces found a 60/40 mix has a 90% chance of ending 30 years with more than you started , non inflation adjusted of course . there is a 67% chance of ending with 2x what you started
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Interesting answers and yes there are many factors that come into play with this question. I have used Firecalc many, many times and yes in my case the odds are that I will be worth more. In the real world I wanted to hear from people to see if that really can be the case.

To answer my own question I would say it would be a very high % that if spending stays about the same and the world doesn't end you would most likely have more.
I understand why you want this, but it really won't be meaningful to you. Each of those people reporting would have gone through a different scenario than you will, so their experience does not apply to you. And you'd really need to get input from people who have been retired for maybe 20+ years and actively responding to questions like this - and that's probably a pretty small group, even on this forum.

FIRECalc shows you the history and distribution. I don;t think we have mich more to go on than that.

I guess it's time for me to take another look at my NW history and do the inflation adjustment but I'm pretty sure I am now > start, and about 13 years into it. But DW still works by choice (small income), but I'm also not taking SS or pension yet. See how circumstances are differ?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #13

Having only been retired for 5 months, it's a bit hard to tell. But here goes anyway.

I have not touched my investment accounts and they are about $60K more than they were when I retired. I still have a pension to take, SS and will pay off a mortgage soon (less than 6 months) which will add a few more dollars to the mix.

I fully expect to continue to ramp up spending in the future.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
kitces found a 60/40 mix has a 90% chance of ending 30 years with more than you started , non inflation adjusted of course . there is a 67% chance of ending with 2x what you started
that assumes one survives 30 years - about half will perish before that date
Old 12-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Looking at the historical data, one can draw different conclusions depending on whether he looks at the average, or plans for the worst case. In the worst case, a typical portfolio barely grew to keep up with inflation. Then, at 4% WR, it will last 25 years or 30 years at 3.33%.

I plan to draw even lower than the above, plus I will have SS. And I do not think I will live that long. These are my safety margin. I used to be more cavalier, but after seeing ridiculous things happening with healthcare costs, I cannot be so sure anymore. And within recent memory, we have seen the tech bubble burst, then the housing bubble and the Great Recession.

If 5 or 10 years from now, I have a lot of money, I will deal with it. It's an easy problem to fix.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
For a long retirement (35+ years) on average I would expect one ends up with more than you started with, since otherwise it would be unsafe to retire in the first place.

Obviously, that's excluding gifting once you realize there's plenty.
Agree. I've been retired 10 years and portfolio is up a fair bit over this period. Just starting the process of thinking about what to do about that. Spend more, or gift more (now or on demise). Or obviously a combo of these. Those are the only real choices. Good problem to have.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I retired in 2009, and my portfolio has grown by over 10% since then despite buying my "dream home" in cash. Well, over 20% at first glance but only over 10% after removing the effects of inflation.

BUT - - this is not great, and is to be expected; in 2009 the market was low, and it has done nothing but improve since then. I don't think this would continue forever.

Other than buying the house, my average portfolio withdrawal has been around 2% per year. My spending has been going up each year as my portfolio rises due to the booming market.

What's more important is that this approach appears to be sustainable, for me, I have what I need and want, and so far so good.

Now when we hit the next recession, look out! I'll be scrambling trying to get back into LBYM mode and spend less. I anticipate that my posts will more upset and frantic instead of being so rosy and self congratulatory.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... Now when we hit the next recession, look out! I'll be scrambling trying to get back into LBYM mode and spend less. I anticipate that my posts will more upset and frantic instead of being so rosy and self congratulatory.
No more Wh***?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #19

10 years in, about +15% after inflation
Old 12-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #20

It depends on your motivation - do you want to be worth more at the end? If so, be conservative and flexible in your withdrawals, and have a substantial chunk of your portfolio in equities.

We are into our 9th year of ER and are worth more than when we started. But we are still in our mid-50s so that's okay. If you look at portfolio values in typical SWR studies, they often grow in the first years of retirement.

We are also very comfortable and satisfied with the lifestyle that our spending allows. However, we'll probably get more aggressive with withdrawals as we get older since we don't have children to leave the money to.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote