Join Early Retirement Today

Benchmarking RE Metrics
Old 09-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #1
gone traveling

Benchmarking RE Metrics

This question is posed to those that have retired early without a pension. I have heard that as a rule of thumb, you should have a portfolio that is 25X your anticipated annual $ needs (assume before tax $). While this may be age dependent, for those that have RE'd without a pension that are living on lump sums,* what was your metric in terms of annual need X __ that made you comfortable in pulling the trigger?* *

In my case, I am looking at $70-75K annual need, which will most likely keep me working for another 4 years, unless the market is overly kind to me, before I can RE at age 60.* For me, cutting expenses is not an option, since I still have one child in HS and another is a college sophmore.*
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Benchmarking RE Metrics
Old 09-17-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5
While this may be age dependent, for those that have RE'd without a pension that are living on lump sums, what was your metric in terms of annual need X __ that made you comfortable in pulling the trigger?
In my case (age 58) it was 25x plus an additional amount to bridge the gap between 58 and the SS we will begin drawing at age 62 (I hope ).

Old 09-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
what was your metric in terms of annual need X __ that made you comfortable in pulling the trigger?
33X annual spending - or 3% withdrawl. Would be comfortable with 25x (4%) if I was 60+ since SS and a small pension would be a few years off. But having 20+ years before SS and pension $$ arrive, I am using 3%.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ours was not based on any multiplier, but we like about $65K per year do 25 x is about right.

SWR
Old 09-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Assuming full RE at 55, I'm planning a 3.5% SWR plus a buffer for unforseen expenses. *To me, 4% assumes the future will be like the past and that seems um, risky. *I see 3.5 as a good compromise between a somewhat optimistic 4% and ultra-conservative 3%. *Most likely, some entirely unforseen things will come up but I figure we'll just adapt.
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote