Join Early Retirement Today

Bernanke's prediction on %
Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bernanke's prediction on %

Said today, when asked for a prediction on where interest rates are heading, that they could be at 6% by 2016. Not clear if he's talking short term or long term rates.

(see the 9:36 am entry)

bernankes-second-day-of-testimony

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Reader notes that I was incorrect in my report on the interest rate question. Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick, Republican of Pennsylvania, had asked Bernanke when the unemployment rate would fall to 6%. Bernanke said 2016. He wasn't talking interest rates.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Said today, when asked for a prediction on where interest rates are heading, that they could be at 6% by 2016. Not clear if he's talking short term or long term rates.

The 9:36 entry has apparently been deleted...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv_climber View Post
hsv, who are you quoting in your post #2 above?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
hsv, who are you quoting in your post #2 above?
Quote was from the actual article (i.e. from the OP's link).
Old 02-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post

Never mind.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

If unemployment rate will really drop to 6% in 2016, the voluminous additions of liquidity with so many QEs will likely have a rather large impact on inflation and interest rates at that time.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If unemployment rate will really drop to 6% in 2016, the voluminous additions of liquidity with so many QEs will likely have a rather large impact on inflation and interest rates at that time.
Ben said this won't happen. When he starts to increase int rates, he will do it slowly so inflation won't occur.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #9

Why would we trust or even pay attention to what the Federal Reserve Bank says ?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Why would we trust or even pay attention to what the Federal Reserve Bank says ?

Because it impacts our investments. Not everyone stays curled up in a fetal position.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #11

For years, until 2008 of course, they said there was no real estate bubble. Should we have followed their advice then ?

"We run the risk, by laying out the pros and cons of a particular argument, of inducing people to join in on the debate, and in this regard it is possible to lose control of a process that only we fully understand," Greenspan said about the housing bubble, according to the transcripts of a March 2004 meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Because it impacts our investments. Not everyone stays curled up in a fetal position.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #12

The reason people listen to Chairman Bernanke is that, as investors, they are looking for an edge, and even though he's not going to give them one, hope springs eternal.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The reason people listen to Chairman Bernanke is that, as investors, they are looking for an edge, and even though he's not going to give them one, hope springs eternal.
You got that right. Enough said!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Old 02-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #15

If Bernanke would be as clear and concise as Greenspan was, could really get an edge.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
Ignoring the fact that all the QEs so far have had zero effect on inflation. But, next time for sure, because it must happen, right?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
gone traveling

IMHO, no matter if you are a conservative or an aggressive investor, and no matter if you agree or disagree with Bernanke, I think you should probably at least listen to what he is saying/doing so you can make better informed decisions on your own financial strategy.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
IMHO, no matter if you are a conservative or an aggressive investor, and no matter if you agree or disagree with Bernanke, I think you should probably at least listen to what he is saying/doing so you can make better informed decisions on your own financial strategy.
+1. It's not about getting an edge on anything, but getting in sync with what the FED is doing. As Marty Zweig said "Don't fight the FED".
Old 03-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
Ignoring the fact that all the QEs so far have had zero effect on inflation. But, next time for sure, because it must happen, right?
There is no inflation? My trips to the grocery stores and gas stations every week say otherwise. Airfares have gone up a fair bit. The recent pop up of housing prices will exert upward pressure on cost of living as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
There is no inflation? My trips to the grocery stores and gas stations every week say otherwise. Airfares have gone up a fair bit. The recent pop up of housing prices will exert upward pressure on cost of living as well.
There's no inflation if you take advantage of the rebates being offered by the Administration. Just send receipts marked up to show higher fuel, food or other prices to Washington and they'll gladly send you a check to offset the increases you are seeing.

It isn't as convenient as having prices stay level, as advertised, but as long as you can handle the 2 - 3 week turn-around time to get your check, it works out OK.