Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Your problem may be FullView which is horrible since they did the revision to it last year. It’s not new just NOT improved. It double counts accounts and has numerous other bugs.
I have lump sum investments in the planner and I DO NOT use FullView. I don’t have any issues with what you describe.
I don't care for the full view as how it translates to the retirement calculator. For one, it does not uses the proper classification of outside accounts and thus I manually update those accounts for the calculator.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use the T Rowe Price Future Path tool and what I find interesting is my score is 99 with my conservative portfolio and it also says my score would be 99 with a much higher stock position.

I use their Advisory Sevice as well and the advisor says I need more stocks. He said they also use the Monte Carlo for their recommendations.

Ummm- then why does THEIR OWN Future Path- which also uses the Monte Carlo- say I do not?

Then I see he wants my cash that is not held in T Rowe Price- my 2 years emergency fund and my husbands 401K stable value fund and also he has his eye on my brokerage account with them in which I have ETF's and other companies' funds besides T Rowe Price.

Last time I had the advisory service they told me to get rid of all my sector funds at my age. This time they are saying I should have 3%. SMH....

I asked about ti and did not get a satisfactory answer. So take everything with a grain of salt.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
Thanks Dtail. Can't find the "what is the maximum spending" function, can you point me exactly?

Also on the portfolio visualizer under the retirement spending tab click on estimate this and check the Exhaust Assets and Income box - it will give you what it thinks is your maximum burn spending rate.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #84

Here's another way of looking at ER. This calculator tells you how long you $$ will last, rather than you putting in how many years you want to $$ to last. Read the summary at the bottom.
https://www.dinkytown.net/java/how-l...ings-last.html

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #85

FREE866 - the calculator I was referencing in post # 83 was from post #44 by PB4USKI try this link: https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...rlo-simulation
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=Jerry1;2187365]I’ll second FireCalc. The one thing I learned that was very helpful in using it is that you can save your input data. When you run a scenario, look in the upper right hand corner for “link to this set of data”. I didn’t realize that for awhile and ended up entering my data more times than I cared to do.QUOTE]

OMG, this is one of the best things I've learned so far for 2019. I can't tell you how many time's I've entered data on all 6 screens of FIRECalc.

I now have my link saved in an email and can make modifications easy and then save the new link.

Thanks Jerry1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
SALTedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #87

I need to stop looking at all these calculators
Find myself spending hours on them lol
FREE866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I need to stop looking at all these calculators

Find myself spending hours on them lol

When I was in my last two years I went on every retirement calculator site known to man. Just getting my head around being able to retire earlier than I thought. I'm almost three years in and I continue to run scenarios knowing already that I'm ok. I can't explain it other than being anxious. Maybe just having a tough time being grateful
Old 02-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
When I was in my last two years I went on every retirement calculator site known to man. Just getting my head around being able to retire earlier than I thought. I'm almost three years in and I continue to run scenarios knowing already that I'm ok. I can't explain it other than being anxious. Maybe just having a tough time being grateful
Ha! Yeah, I'm a little over 2 years in and I still go on often. Honestly , I think it's because I just love not working so much that I go to the calculators just to validate and confirm that "everything is still ok"
Old 02-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
oh ..and I know it's based on history , but Firecalc is the one that seems just way too optimistic no?
Old 02-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
oh ..and I know it's based on history , but Firecalc is the one that seems just way too optimistic no?
A little on the optimistic side but it is using the classic 95% success rate on 4% WR inflation adjusted.
Just use the Fidelity calculator in conjunction for a more conservative view.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
A little on the optimistic side but it is using the classic 95% success rate on 4% WR inflation adjusted.
Just use the Fidelity calculator in conjunction for a more conservative view.
I thought Firecalc just used historical returns? if thats the case then the 4% wr wouldn't be a determining factor for your results

I use Fidelity too and yes--more conservative and I think thats because they use Monte Carlo simulation right?
Old 02-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought Firecalc just used historical returns? if thats the case then the 4% wr wouldn't be a determining factor for your results

I use Fidelity too and yes--more conservative and I think thats because they use Monte Carlo simulation right?
Yes Firecalc does use historical returns, but what I am saying is that effectively it considers a 4%WR to be successful 95% of the time, while some other calculators would have a lower WR% translating to a 95% success rate.
Just going about the explanation from a different angle.

Fidelity is more conservative due to Monte Carlo simulations, plus they discount your starting portfolio balance (7% in my case).
Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #94

Quote:
Yes Firecalc does use historical returns, but what I am saying is that effectively it considers a 4%WR to be successful 95% of the time, while some other calculators would have a lower WR% translating to a 95% success rate.
Just going about the explanation from a different angle.

Fidelity is more conservative due to Monte Carlo simulations, plus they discount your starting portfolio balance (7% in my case).
gotcha

yeah, Fidelity is more conservative and I triple checked in last 30 minutes lol
Old 02-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quick question regarding the "spending" input is this a gross figure before your tax rate.

Or another words do you need to figure your tax rate and add that to your spending prior to input.
augam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by augam View Post
Quick question regarding the "spending" input is this a gross figure before your tax rate.

Or another words do you need to figure your tax rate and add that to your spending prior to input.
^ Yes, assuming you are referring to FIRECalc.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
^ Yes, assuming you are referring to FIRECalc.
my bad, yes Firecalc and Fido

Thanks
augam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by augam View Post
my bad, yes Firecalc and Fido

Thanks
Fido’s will calculate your tax rate and add the tax liability into your analysis. So their gross amount includes taxes.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Fido’s will calculate your tax rate and add the tax liability into your analysis. So their gross amount includes taxes.
Just making sure you are saying the following for example.
90K expenses not including taxes
10k estimated taxes

The input for expenses in Fidelity is 100k, not 90k.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just making sure you are saying the following for example.
90K expenses not including taxes
10k estimated taxes

The input for expenses in Fidelity is 100k, not 90k.
No, read the methodology they explain it better than I probably will.

You input your spend without taxes. 90k in your example. The app calculates your taxes and adds it into your total withdrawal so your withdrawal is 100k, again from your example.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote