Join Early Retirement Today

Best calling card rates
Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best calling card rates

We use a calling card for long distant calls plus my wife's cell phone. I have been using ATT card, but now when I go to recharge it they have upped the rates. I'm ready to switch, but to who?? Duane
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Best calling card rates
Old 01-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to use a thing called 'onesuite' and I think some people still do. You can get referral minutes and so can they, so check them out and then wait for a current user to crop up and make a deal on the referral.

They had about the cheapest minutes, local access #'s, an 800# to access and so forth. I programmed the local access # and code into my home phones autodial all by itself and as a prefix to all the other LD calls. Worked fine while I was using it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I second that -- www.onesuite.com

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think vagabond had a topic on the "other topics a while back on calling cards...

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=5023.0

As I recall, it is cheaper to buy a new ATT card from sam's club vs. calling to recharge....I also program the number into my speed dial....keep saying that I am going to try VOIP with cheap long distance....
Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
I programmed the local access # and code into my home phones autodial all by itself and as a prefix to all the other LD calls. Worked fine while I was using it.
Great minds think alike. That's what I did also.
My original card I carried in my wallet, but now you can't see the numbers clear anymore. I'll check out onesuite. Thanks.....Shredder
Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

How much are you people spending on long distance phone calls?

More to the point, how much is OneSuite.com saving you?

We spent a grand total $33.68 on 800 calling-card minutes in 2006, and we still have over 200 minutes left...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
How much are you people spending on long distance phone calls?

More to the point, how much is OneSuite.com saving you?

We spent a grand total $33.68 on 800 calling-card minutes in 2006, and we still have over 200 minutes left...
I used about $40-60 a year on my old CC. Used to be only $20 then my wife started using it. I really don't know the ins and outs of her cell phone rules, something like more minutes on every fourth thursday or something. But I do know she is using the calling card more........Shredder
Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #8

For several years I used the ATT card from Sam's Club which was 3.47 cents/minute. A couple of years ago, when ATT instituted a 15% surcharge for recharging the card over the phone, I switched over to a MCI card from Costco, which is 2.85 cents per minute with no surcharge for recharging over the phone.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
gone traveling

The local 99 cent store sells
a 99 cent LD card.

99 cents = 99 minutes

It has a 90 day from 1st use
or 6 months from purchase
expiration date.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

You guys must be psychic.

We have a Sam's card at .04/minute and don't make many long distance calls, so I was in the Nords camp when I read this. Not a big expense. Not going to sweat it.

Then I talked with DH who used the card this afternoon. Apparently since the ATT merger our minutes are now converted to service units and will be worth less - I still have to figure out the conversion. Anyway, when we finish up the time we have, we will likely switch to OneSuite.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

MCI card at Costco 3.5 cents per minute. Maybe go through $40.00 /year. DW keeps putting $20/ month on the budget spread sheet. I just laugh and say more wiggle room in the budget.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #12

I've been pleased with mobilecaller.com.

Coach
Old 01-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #13

I had an AT&T card quite a while back...don't remember for certain what the per minute rate was, but I think it was like 2 cents/minute.

I've been using a cellphone as my primary phone for about 12 years, and my rate plan includes free long distance, up to 1500 minute (25 hours) a month....whether at home or on the road. So calls across the street or across the country all cost the same. With the cellphone I'm always "home" whether I'm in Key West, the Canadian Rockies, or NYC.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I am surprised "cell phone" isn't the answer for more people. I always use a cell phone for LD in the US. I thought calling cards went out of common use about 10 years ago. For international calls, I use Skype on a PC, which works well and is still pretty cheap even though they raised their rates recently.
Anansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #15
gone traveling

I don't own a cell phone and get by just fine without one.
I have unlimited LD on my land phone.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

And speaking of that, thats the way I ended up going most recently after giving up on VOIP. The short story on the latter is that I got tired of being put in the middle of my ISP and the VOIP providers, with both claiming any issues were the fault of the other. "My life as telecom tech support" was simply not to be. My advice is, if it works for you right off the bat, great...otherwise send it all back and get your money refunded. If at any point it stops working and a couple of quick calls doesnt get it fixed, send it back and eat your losses.

AT&T (aka "sbc") gave me unlimited local and local long distance on my land line phone for $15 a month. Good enough.

The cheapskate in me made me long for my vonage line @$24/month, but not the weeklong delays in getting return calls for support questions. I also longed for my $29/mo at&t callvantage, but not for the "box" rebooting itself a few times a week and ringing my phone, usually at 3am. I even longed for my $12/mo Sunrocket connection and its delight in garbling my voice and that of the people calling me, along with regularly introducing a few seconds of delay. Why, it was almost as good as using cheap walkie talkies! I was ready to start saying "over..." when i was done talking!

Anyhow, this costs twice as much, but it works.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:04 AM   #17

I've been using onesuite for several years. I'm quite happy with it.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

If you want cheap go with a Chinese provider. We use dialnopin, 1.9c/min in the US with your local access number, and really cheap to other countries.
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
I've been using onesuite for several years. I'm quite happy with it.
I've been using it for over a year. It has some reliability issues. Sometimes it take me 2 or 3 tries to call Canada from Alaska. Seems to run in waves. After the 3rd try, I give up and use an MCI card. Costs more, but far more reliable.

That being said, 95% of the time it works fine.