Join Early Retirement Today

Best cash rewards credit card for someone with no credit history?
Old 10-13-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best cash rewards credit card for someone with no credit history?

I have never used credit cards so I have no credit history. But I want to get one after thinking about the savings in cash back rewards.

I just wanted to see what companies seem to be reputable and decent to deal with so I don't end up with a nightmare for my first card!

I'm just looking for a credit card with a low credit limit that I can get cash back rewards with..for someone with no credit history.

Thanks

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You might take a look at Pentagon Federal Credit Union (anyone can join - check their web page at Penfed.org). The card offers 5% cash back on 'pay at the pump' fuel purchases and 1.25% on everything else. I've been happy with them.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:14 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ditto on the PENFED VISA Plat Cash Rewards Card.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:16 AM   #4

If you dont have any credit history...you probably wont get a major credit card that is unsecured...You might want to check out creditboards.com or the like for ideas on building a history...
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a PenFed card as well. I'm satisfied so far but had some trouble getting it. Won't go into all that again. See link below. But in the end, it all worked out without having to submit all the crap they wanted. But if you have no credit, be prepared to cough up some financial information.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...6&postcount=34
Old 10-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Penfed deal looked as good as I've seen. Signed up online, thought it came in the mail yesterday but it was just a form they wanted my real signature on. 5% on gas caught my eye, haven't seen the full agreement so hopefully not too restrictive.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:26 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just saw where Emigrant has a 1.4% cash back card. Not sure of the details. It is on their website.

Lyle
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #8

Chase has a reward card that pays 3% on certain types of purchases, up to a limit of $600 a month in purchases. After that it's just 1%. I use this card for grocery store purchases, so I always go over the $600.

Chase Personal Banking Investments Credit Cards Home Auto Commercial Small Business Insurance and it's the Freedom card.

Quote:
You'll earn a 3% cash back rebate or 3 points for every $1 in eligible purchases made in the top three bonus categories where you spend the most. The bonus categories are: grocery stores, gas & convenience stores, quick service payment/fast food restaurants, telecommunications, cable/satellite TV/Internet service providers, video rentals, department stores, dry cleaners, drugstores, movie theatres, local and suburban commuter passenger transportation, pet supply stores and veterinary services, utilities, beauty shops (salons and spas) and gym/recreation memberships. Following are additional details.
Since I always reach the limit for the 3% reward I have another card that I use to pay all my utilities that pays 2% www.citicard.com.

Discover Card had a 3 month period where they paid 5% on certain types of purchases. Right now it's resaurants and movies. Every 3 months they change the purchase type. Once it was groceries or car expenses, or travel or clothing or specific merchants like Home Depot and Sears. One time it was college expenses and I had to pay tuition so that was easy. Sometimes these 3 month offers will have a limit for the 5% reward.

5% cards for groceries and gas used to be more common, but it seems like many CC companies have cut back on those.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just wanted to see what companies seem to be reputable and decent to deal with
In a credit card company You have to watch them all. Sooner or later the nice ones will turn, be bought out, etc.

Nothing wrong with a secured card (you can't spend more than you have deposited in another account). It develops financial discipline.

One point: Pay the damned thing off every month! Running a balance is a trap to easy to fall into. Avoid debt like the plague! Been there, done that. I use a credit card for some things (very few things), but I have a cash account with a large enough balance to pay it off as soon as the charges appear on the web-based account, and for emergencies, I have a much lower interest line of credit with the same bank. I wasn't always this smart.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I now use the Citi Driver's Edge card in combination with the Emigrant 1.4% cashback card:

Citi® Driver's Edge® Options Platinum Select® MasterCard®

Earn up to 6% rebates on the purchases you make at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations for 12 months, 3% thereafter, 1% on all other purchases and $1 for every 100 miles you drive - up to $1,000 every 12 months. Redeem rebates toward the purchase or lease of any new or used vehicle, automotive maintenance or convert rebates to ThankYouSM Points for gift cards, merchandise and services.

The Emigrant card requires an average balance of $10,000 in an Emigrant savings account.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I would go with any card that offered you 1% back or more. However, as noted, they may not give you them since you do not have a credit history. We are getting at least $500 back this year, though the card that is offered through my MegaCorp.

One thing to be aware of is that if you do not make your payment by the due date (as opposed to the cycle cut date), you will lose your bonus for the month. Read all the fine print.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:23 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone!

You gave me some ideas on places to try!

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote