Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
I don't see that rate in my area. What area are you in, and what division of Wells Fargo?
Not available from the retail bank branches. These are CD's sold through the brokers - Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard and the like. A lot of the major banks offer much more competitive rates through these channels.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift View Post
I don't see that rate in my area. What area are you in, and what division of Wells Fargo?
These rates are available through a brokerage account such as Fidelity. You won’t find them as a direct bank customer.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! Guess I'll open an account with one of them.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #184
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
These rates are available through a brokerage account such as Fidelity. You won’t find them as a direct bank customer.
Thanks. I have a brokerage account at Wells, but they aren't listing that. I'll open an account at one of the others!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #185

Quote:
Wells Fargo did a one-up on Morgan Stanley today offering 2.9% for a 2 year CD.
2.9% is close to what I am looking for. I have a Northwest FCU 3% coming due on 10/10 and I would dearly love to reinvest it without reducing the return,
and also without going out longer than 2 years.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #186

Quote:
I've been keeping an eye on the 2year CDs offered via Fidelity, as the 2 year seems to be a sweet spot*. Finally today the Morgan Stanley offers a 2.85% 2 year CD - up from the 2.8% CD offered by several banks for quite a while now.

The 2 year Treasury has been lagging, but catching up recently. It finally made it to 2.76% today.

*Not counting the 3.25% 15 month CD special offered by NASA FCU this month.
Any idea how long one has to fund the CD, after opening it in order to obtain the 3.25% rate?
Old 09-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Any idea how long one has to fund the CD, after opening it in order to obtain the 3.25% rate?
The mention is that it would be available through Sept, but they have language that the offer can be pulled at any time. I don’t know about specific funding deadlines once the CD is open.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #188

When was the last time CD rates were this much better than Treasuries? What happened next?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
When was the last time CD rates were this much better than Treasuries? What happened next?

I don’t think CD rates are better than Treasuries. These rates cited here are exceptional. A broad average of CD rates lags equivalent Treasury debt ( I think).
Old 09-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

We did go through a long period where CD rates exceeded treasuries when the 10years was below 2, and shorter durations much lower. But now treasuries are finally catching up at the short end, yet still behind on the longer end.

The average CD may offer crappy rates, but there are plenty of banks and credit unions offering good rates.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I believe (if my old memory is working properly) that once you 'open' the CD you have ten days to fund it. I don't know what would happen if they closed the offer (or if 9/30 is the last day to fund).
Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 AM   #192
gone traveling

A regional bank [LA/TX] is offering a new FDIC insured "variable CD" with a base rate and the possibility that rate will increase with an increase in the federal fund rate. But it never goes down below the initial base rate.

For example, a 5 year CD's base rate is 3% [based on a 2% fed fund rate.]

Any comments positive or negative about this kind of CD ??

https://www.fgb.net/variable-cd

Old 09-17-2018, 01:10 AM   #193
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post

Not available from the retail bank branches. These are CD's sold through the brokers - Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard and the like. A lot of the major banks offer much more competitive rates through these channels.

Are they not FDIC insured ?

Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

I did fund my 3.25% 15 month CD at NASA FCU on Friday.

Pretty simple.

Hope a few more like that pop up.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:28 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

Both brokered and bank CDs are FDIC insured. Brokered CDs are simply tradable like a bond after being issued by the bank.... a holder cannot go back to the bank to get their principal til the CD matures... if they want an early out they simply sell the CD in the open market... if interest rates have changed the CD's value will different from its face value.

So credit risk of bank and brokered CDs are the same, but interest rate risk is very different.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

Yes they are FDIC insured. They are issued by the bank, just sold through the broker instead of directly to retail customers. And you still have to deal with FDIC insurance limits per issuing bank.

One difference is that you don’t have the option of reinvesting the interest in the CD.

There is also no early withdrawal with penalty option like when buying directly from a bank. You would have to sell it on the secondary market through the brokerage to cash out early, so you can’t predict any loss that might incur in advance.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #197

Strangely enough you can get over 8% in Mexico. You do have to have some form of residency though...

https://www.actinver.com/cs/Actinver...entes%20EN.pdf
Old 09-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Strangely enough you can get over 8% in Mexico. You do have to have some form of residency though...

https://www.actinver.com/cs/Actinver...entes%20EN.pdf
Check their GAT rates, their inflation is a little higher than ours, also I would debate the overall stability of the Peso over time.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I believe (if my old memory is working properly) that once you 'open' the CD you have ten days to fund it. I don't know what would happen if they closed the offer (or if 9/30 is the last day to fund).
Does anyone know for a fact if/when this offer might close? We are in the process of selling our house and are scheduled to close on October 9th and I *really* want to put those proceeds into that NASA CD. I *could* close out a couple of the Ally CDs I have, but would take the two-month penalty hit...but would prefer not to do that. I shouldn't complain...it's a good problem to have.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I did fund my 3.25% 15 month CD at NASA FCU on Friday.

Pretty simple.

Hope a few more like that pop up.

I went into the branch to open and fund a 15 mo IRA CD today. I was unable to get the 3rd party website to work. It took about an hour even though I already have an IRA there and had check in hand from Fido payable to NASA FCU. Their system does not adequately distinguish between rollovers and transfers. I’m fed up with jumping through all these hoops and need to find another way to access decent fixed rate offers. I did get good service in the branch but they are very lightly staffed.