Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
It's per account, sole/joint registration isn't going to change that - it's $1000 max bonus per account. Now, you can open multiple accounts filling each with $100k. For example, get multiple CDs to reach whatever total you want. You might open multiple 11-month no penalty CDs which are currently 2.1% for $25k or more.

If going this route, you'd need to fund each individually from outside. If you moved $200k into an Ally checking account and then bought two $100k CDs from there it's not going to work.

You might want to give them a call to verify that you can do that.
This is not my understanding. It is per customer email address and that $100,000 can come into one account, say checking, and then be disbursed among other accounts and the person with the email address of record will get the $1,000, credited to the account that the $ was first deposited to. If two emails are registered and two $100,000 deposits are spread accross accounts a second $1,000 fee is earned.

There is a lengthy thread on this on Bogleheads. I also spoke directly with a CSR and was told it is the balance across all accounts, and not per account, but per email address.

Golden sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #442
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
This is not my understanding. It is per customer email address and that $100,000 can come into one account, say checking, and then be disbursed among other accounts and the person with the email address of record will get the $1,000, credited to the account that the $ was first deposited to. If two emails are registered and two $100,000 deposits are spread accross accounts a second $1,000 fee is earned.

There is a lengthy thread on this on Bogleheads. I also spoke directly with a CSR and was told it is the balance across all accounts, and not per account, but per email address.
Ok, so you've provided the mechanism to do it...use existing account for $100k, then open additional new Ally accounts with other email addresses for each additional $100k. Plenty of places to get free email accounts set up in minutes. For an extra $1000 per account surely it's worth the effort.

njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Ok, so you've provided the mechanism to do it...use existing account for $100k, then open additional new Ally accounts with other email addresses for each additional $100k. Plenty of places to get free email accounts set up in minutes. For an extra $1000 per account surely it's worth the effort.
I donít think you can open a new email account and open additional accounts in your name using your social security number.
Golden sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All quiet now that Ally offer enrollment deadline has passed? LOL!
Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
All quiet now that Ally offer enrollment deadline has passed? LOL!
LOL I got in under the enrollment deadline just in time...now we'll see if I can get my $ in in time.

(50, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 54. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (still have a part-time gig), Mr. Simple Girl hopes to fully retire 2019 (yep, we have the OMY syndrome...healthcare inflation is the culprit...and he wants a boat...not happening)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #446
Recycles dryer sheets

My $100,000. came from my Capital One 360 account. I wonder how many millions were transferred out of these online banks this week, many I'm sure. I wonder if come February 15 these online banks will be attempting to get these customers to return.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #447
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah. I imagine they might. I moved 50k from Marcus to get in on this deal.
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:43 AM   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
My $100,000. came from my Capital One 360 account. I wonder how many millions were transferred out of these online banks this week, many I'm sure. I wonder if come February 15 these online banks will be attempting to get these customers to return.

Did the same thing here. $100,000 deposited to CapOne from a maturing NWFCU CD on 10/10, after receiving an email from CapOne serendipitously the same day as the CD marred. Was advised by CapOne, that the money did not need to stay in the bank in order to qualify for the $1,000 bonus. The only requirement was that the account be funded by 10/31. I am still trying to wrap my head around that fact. While waiting for that deposit to clear at CapOne, heard about the Ally bonus. Transferred the money to Ally on 10/17. It took until yesterday for that transaction to finalize and I opened a couple of No Penalty CD's. Calculated that the rate of return for that $100,000 will be about 10% for the 85 day holding period. Around the beginning of the year I'll be on the look out for another juicy offer to jump on on 1/16. LOL😁

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #449
Recycles dryer sheets

the ally on-line savings acct pays 1.9% but the no-penalty 11 month c/d pays 2.1%. why would you leave money in the savings acct and not put it in a c/d? Is there something I'm missing?
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
the ally on-line savings acct pays 1.9% but the no-penalty 11 month c/d pays 2.1%. why would you leave money in the savings acct and not put it in a c/d? Is there something I'm missing?

If someone needs to take regular periodic distributions from the account the NP CD wonít work.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #451

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
If someone needs to take regular periodic distributions from the account the NP CD wonít work.
The way around that is to establish multiple smaller CD's if one is willing to do the work.
Wondered the same thing at first.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #452
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
I didn't open a CD during the enrollment period. I'd be nervous that it doesn't count if I open one now.
teej1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #453
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got a reminder from Ally today to open and fund a new account. But I already opened and funded a new CD!

I’m not too worried.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:08 AM   #454

This seems to be turning into a how to on Ally as opposed to it's intention as posting the latest favorable CD Rates.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
This seems to be turning into a how to on Ally as opposed to it's intention as posting the latest favorable CD Rates.
Ok - I will get it going on the right track again.

Digital Credit Union has a high yield savings account for 5.12% - to keep it in the CD/MM realm, let's call it the equivalent of a 1-year $1000 CD at 5.12%.

https://www.dcu.org/personal-banking...-reg-shar.html

They pay 5.12%, but only on the first $1000, above that is 0.25%. If you don't live in their service area, work for one of their participant employers, or have a family member participant you can become a member with a $10 donation to their local school charity. So, effectively 4.12% first year for a new non-member account.

After the first family member pays the $10 donation to join the credit union, you could sign up wife/child/other relatives with additional $1000 accounts for 5.12% without them becoming members.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #456

FWIW, Live Oak Savings just raised their rate on savings accounts to 2.00 APY. E-mail showed up this morning.

ETA: Sallie Mae MM is now at 2.12 percent. Interest rates are going up so fast that I'm only buying 4 week treasuries and stashing new cash in VUSXX and Sallie Mae.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #457

McGraw-Hill Federal Credit Union Adds 19-Month CD Promo, 3.00% APY
Old 10-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
LOL I got in under the enrollment deadline just in time...now we'll see if I can get my $ in in time.
My No-Penalty CD was officially funded this morning. Yip yip!

(50, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 54. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (still have a part-time gig), Mr. Simple Girl hopes to fully retire 2019 (yep, we have the OMY syndrome...healthcare inflation is the culprit...and he wants a boat...not happening)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #459

I decided to transfer my $ in NorthernDirect.com @ 2.25% to Ally to take advantage of the 1% bonus offer. Also wired some $ from Ameritrade, that of course went quick...still waiting for the ACH to complete (the funds have already left ND but still show in-progress at Ally. It's been a busy year, I have opened at least three new accounts this year capturing higher rates.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #460

Marcus / Goldman Sachs

13 Month No-Penalty CD 2.15 with $500 min