Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don’t know. 5% for a 7 months CD becoming the norm indicates inflation is a bit higher and my other investments have probably taken a huge hit.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surewhitey View Post
VANGUARD TREASURY MONEY MARKET INVESTOR VUSXX

7-Day Current Yield

Initial Investment$50,000

Just bought this - thanks for the tip!!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don’t know. 5% for a 7 months CD becoming the norm indicates inflation is a bit higher and my other investments have probably taken a huge hit.
Yes we effectively need a blip up in inflation/rates to lock in the higher rates than have them drop back down. Just rambling I suppose.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Synchrony just emailed me about their new CD Special - 2.65% 13 months, $2K min. That's higher than most ~12/13 month CDs being offered at the moment. Unfortunately a term greater than 12 months means a 180 days interest early withdrawal penalty.

Of course that does not beat the Andrews 9 month 2.75% CD Special which is still being offered.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I finally got my CD at Freedom CU set up after much email and phone prodding, but it wasn't easy. The 3.56% rate no longer shows up on depositaccounts.com and they told me over the phone the promotion will end soon because they have almost hit their goal for new money deposits. DH has a bunch of CDs at 2.25% with Barclays but he wasn't comfortable paying the early term penalty with no guarantee it would take place quickly enough to get the money over to Freedom before the promotion ends.

It seems like there should be an easier way but I suppose if I'm chasing yield I'm going to have to jump through hoops to get it.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

PenFed CU now offers Premium Online Savings account at 1.65 apy for $5 min /$100k max.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
PenFed CU now offers Premium Online Savings account at 1.65 apy for $5 min /$100k max.
Do they have any special requirements? Their checking used to require X auto deposits or other hoops.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:35 AM   #108

As a member of MOAA (military officers) I opened an MOAA Money Market Savings Account at PenFed a number of years ago. It's currently paying 1.7% because they have a different method of calculating interest on this account. Their regular MM savings account pays only a fraction of this rate.

I think they still offer it, because the form to open it is still on their website if you search for it. So if anyone belongs to MOAA (I think there are some here) you could consider this.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Do they have any special requirements? Their checking used to require X auto deposits or other hoops.
I opened the Penfed Premium Savings account. I didn't see any special requirements. In the FAQ section it says this account cannot be accessed via ATM. Opening the account is a bit funky. The only choice for funding was fill out a form manually (ugh!) and mail a check or by wire transfer. I tried to just step through the process but in doing so I got the account opened in less than 2 minutes. I downloaded the form but did not fill it out. Then I went back to the main menu and transferred funds from Penfed regular savings.

If they do not offer a good alternative for my 3% CD when it matures in December, this might be a place to park the funds for a while.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #110

Are these rates assuming APR or APY?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Are these rates assuming APR or APY?
I assume we have a mix of APR and APY being reported. I usually try to specify but sometimes it takes some digging to get something other than the "headline" rate. For my purposes the difference is minute.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #112

Don't recall seeing these posted from Ally for a 12 mon HY CD:
$25k+ --2.5%

$5-25k--2.4

<$5k002.25
Old 08-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I opened the Penfed Premium Savings account. I didn't see any special requirements. In the FAQ section it says this account cannot be accessed via ATM. Opening the account is a bit funky. The only choice for funding was fill out a form manually (ugh!) and mail a check or by wire transfer. I tried to just step through the process but in doing so I got the account opened in less than 2 minutes. I downloaded the form but did not fill it out. Then I went back to the main menu and transferred funds from Penfed regular savings.

If they do not offer a good alternative for my 3% CD when it matures in December, this might be a place to park the funds for a while.
I just opened the PF Premium Savings Account online in three minutes. I transferred funds online from another outside account to fund it. I was not asked to fill out any forms and mail them in.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ally online savings bumped to 1.85% APY.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:08 AM   #115

NASA Federal Credit Union, 3.25% on 15-month CD. (Also 3.35% on 49-month.) Easy to join, can pick National Space Society as association for free.

I'm tempted to put some of my money market $ into this as I have some old PenFed CD's coming due in December/January.

Link: https://www.nasafcu.com/img/certific...ex_member.html
Old 09-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
NASA Federal Credit Union, 3.25% on 15-month CD. (Also 3.35% on 49-month.) Easy to join, can pick National Space Society as association for free.

WOW!!!
Old 09-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post

I'm tempted to put some of my money market $ into this as I have some old PenFed CD's coming due in December/January.

Link: https://www.nasafcu.com/img/certific...ex_member.html
The Space Society membership is free for 1 year. Then it goes to $20, which I suppose one would need to pay for the 15 mth CD. Would translate to .08% on 25k. Still a great net rate.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
The Space Society membership is free for 1 year. Then it goes to $20, which I suppose one would need to pay for the 15 mth CD. Would translate to .08% on 25k. Still a great net rate.
I doubt they would require you that you renew your membership once you have the CD with their credit union.

That is a great rate though, thanks for sharing copyright1997!
Old 09-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #119

Penfed has a 2% six month cd.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Penfed has a 2% six month cd.
Per Fidelity, the expected rate on six month Treasury bills at tomorrow's auction is 2.25 percent. And they are exempt from state income tax. You can buy them through Fidelity or the other major discount brokers at no cost.
Closed Thread