Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Well, have applied to NASA, but got a "hurry up and wait" message. Looking at the application portal (does it go to Saturn since it's NASA?) and it shows "referred". I wonder if that has anything to do with my credit being frozen? Or maybe because I did my application at 5:15 on a Friday...
OK I just applied as well (on a Sat) and it says "referred" for me, too. I suspect this is part of their normal processing time. We shall see!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I applied Weds and got account set up and CD established with no problem. I am planning to go to a branch this week with a check to fund.

So far was pretty painless.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

Question on this NASA Credit Union account. It says they give a free 12 month membership to this National Space Society which is required if you don't meet the other requirements. What happens after 12 months? Is this still basically just a free fake membership that has to be renewed each year?

As someone sitting out here in California far from any NASA operations, I assume this is no different then any other online bank account like Ally and Capital One360? Am I missing something here?
Old 09-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
Question on this NASA Credit Union account. It says they give a free 12 month membership to this National Space Society which is required if you don't meet the other requirements. What happens after 12 months? Is this still basically just a free fake membership that has to be renewed each year?

As someone sitting out here in California far from any NASA operations, I assume this is no different then any other online bank account like Ally and Capital One360? Am I missing something here?
Once you are a member (of NASA CU), you are a member. Just like if a CU had a residency requirement, and you met the residency requirement, and then later moved...you would still be a member of the CU.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Once you are a member (of NASA CU), you are a member. Just like if a CU had a residency requirement, and you met the residency requirement, and then later moved...you would still be a member of the CU.
Why are their renewal membership fees on their site?
Old 09-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I hope it's not the frozen credit because we will have the same issue. It's comforting to keep your credit frozen but sure is a PIA when you want to apply for something that requires a credit check.
That’s yet another hurdle for me opening at a new credit union.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Why are their renewal membership fees on their site?
Who is 'their site'?

Step 1. Become a member of Nasa CU using the complimentary membership to National Space Society (NSS).

Step 2. Open the CD.

Step 3. When the NSS membership is to be renewed, do not renew and do not use automatic renewal.

Done.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That’s yet another hurdle for me opening at a new credit union.
Well, that's what it was. They wanted me to send them a copy of my SS card, driver's license, and a utility bill. I did all except the SS card. I wrote them asking why they needed it, too. I received a message back within just a few hours saying I needed to unfreeze my credit report.

I went ahead and unfroze our credit reports. It was actually easy this time and free! I don't know what changed, but I'm thrilled that it was free!

So far, the experience with this credit union has been light years better than my experience with Andrews FCU. With that bank they took FOREVER to even contact me and tell me they needed more info. Then when I sent them copies of my license, etc., they never followed up. I called and was just told it was "in process". I eventually gave up and decided not to pursue it because I didn't trust a bank that was that SLOW and unresponsive.

NASA FCU has been very responsive. I started the process this morning and am already emailing back and forth with them today.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, that's what it was. They wanted me to send them a copy of my SS card, driver's license, and a utility bill. I did all except the SS card. I wrote them asking why they needed it, too. I received a message back within just a few hours saying I needed to unfreeze my credit report.

I went ahead and unfroze our credit reports. It was actually easy this time and free! I don't know what changed, but I'm thrilled that it was free!

So far, the experience with this credit union has been light years better than my experience with Andrews FCU. With that bank they took FOREVER to even contact me and tell me they needed more info. Then when I sent them copies of my license, etc., they never followed up. I called and was just told it was "in process". I eventually gave up and decided not to pursue it because I didn't trust a bank that was that SLOW and unresponsive.

NASA FCU has been very responsive. I started the process this morning and am already emailing back and forth with them today.
I forgot the date for free freezes/thaws. Which credit report agency did they need?
Old 09-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #151

Quote:
I forgot the date for free freezes/thaws. Which credit report agency did they need?
Experian.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Experian.
I’m glad they knew and could tell you.

I think the 120 days after the bill passed meant later in September, but maybe credit bureaus already decided to not bother charging anymore.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #153

Quote:
I’m glad they knew and could tell you.

I think the 120 days after the bill passed meant later in September, but maybe credit bureaus already decided to not bother charging anymore.
Me, too! And I think you are probably right. It was a nice surprise!

I just received an email from them that my new account is approved - at 8:20 pm. on a Sat night. I just applied this morning. Now that is excellent service. I'm feeling really good about this credit union.

Now to work on the wire transfer. Hopefully that will go just as smoothly.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #154

I applied last week but have found that they are not very efficient. Friday, I got a message to send them my driver license which I promptly uploaded. This evening, Saturday night ?? at 8:47PM, I got another message that they wanted an additional document such as a utility bill which I also uploaded. They could have asked me for both yesterday or at the time of the application. I wonder if there will be a 3rd document request.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hope it's not the frozen credit because we will have the same issue. It's comforting to keep your credit frozen but sure is a PIA when you want to apply for something that requires a credit check.
Well, they do a hard pull and you will have to "thaw" your report (Experian for me) which thankfully isn't too much of a pain. I also had to scan/send my SS card and a utility bill. They also want me to call...I presume to schedule a DNA sample comparison.

I am glad they are serious about security, but I find it odd that it's such a pain to DEPOSIT MONEY; I am not looking to TAKE MONEY. How many identity thieves open CDs under someone else's name? Ally was much, MUCH simpler. I guess NASA wants you to REALLY get that 3.5%!

Edit: Sorry...I didn't see all the posts that already discussed this...I just saw Simple Girl's response to my post and replied immediately!
Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #156

I just opened a DiscoverBank account. No thaw required. No shenanigans. Just filled-out a form online and ACH'd the money from my CU. Only 1.8% APR, but getting $200 in cash as a new account bonus. When I pull from tax deferred accounts in December to fund all of 2019, I might research these CD opportunities, but at this point in the year, my after tax cash is low, and my tax advantaged accounts don't hold cash in very big amounts.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #157

Just saw ad from Syncrony for a 13 mon cd at 2.65--$2000 min
Old 09-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I just opened a DiscoverBank account. No thaw required. No shenanigans. Just filled-out a form online and ACH'd the money from my CU. Only 1.8% APR, but getting $200 in cash as a new account bonus. When I pull from tax deferred accounts in December to fund all of 2019, I might research these CD opportunities, but at this point in the year, my after tax cash is low, and my tax advantaged accounts don't hold cash in very big amounts.
I've mentioned this and similar bonus offers.

I did the Discover Savings Account offer last year. It is one of the best, because there are no fees, there is no early account closure restriction/fees, and you get your bonus in just a few weeks after funding the account. When I did it, I opened the account, had the bonus less than a month later, transferred all the money out immediately thereafter.

I've committed a small chunk of my savings just for churning these offers. It is worth the small effort involved - making significantly higher returns than on the high yield savings accounts.

The one I've done for the best return on "investment" - HSBC checking account - put $1500 in, they give you $200 bonus after 90 days. Can close the account 6 months after opening with no early closure fee.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

September 21 is the date the law is supposed to take effect.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredunder50 View Post
September 21 is the date the law is supposed to take effect.
Equifax said they weren’t going to start charging again after their big snafuy. Sounds like Experian isn’t charging already either.