Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
I've mentioned this and similar bonus offers.

I did the Discover Savings Account offer last year. It is one of the best, because there are no fees, there is no early account closure restriction/fees, and you get your bonus in just a few weeks after funding the account. When I did it, I opened the account, had the bonus less than a month later, transferred all the money out immediately thereafter.

I've committed a small chunk of my savings just for churning these offers. It is worth the small effort involved - making significantly higher returns than on the high yield savings accounts.

The one I've done for the best return on "investment" - HSBC checking account - put $1500 in, they give you $200 bonus after 90 days. Can close the account 6 months after opening with no early closure fee.
Me too. I got my $200 bonus last month but haven't pulled the money out yet because 1.8% in a savings is hard to beat. However, how do you close out these accounts once you withdraw? do you have to call in or the 0 balance automatically triggers the closure after 30 or 60 days?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Me too. I got my $200 bonus last month but haven't pulled the money out yet because 1.8% in a savings is hard to beat. However, how do you close out these accounts once you withdraw? do you have to call in or the 0 balance automatically triggers the closure after 30 or 60 days?
With Discover, just transfer all the money out back to your primary checking account. Because it's accumulating interest it may take you an extra cycle to get all the money out as interest will post at the end of the month and then you should transfer the interest the day it posts so no more interest accumulates. You can use the account closure form to close it when the balance settles to $0.

https://bank.discover.com/bankac/cus...horization.pdf

1.8% is a good rate at this time. However, that's 1.8% for a full year - so you'll collect $270 on your $15k balance over 12 months. Do this - take $10k of it, and move it over to Capital One and you'll get $200 in 60 days...more than it would make in the Discover account for a full year. On top of that, the Capital One interest rate is 1.85%.

https://www.capitalone.com/offer200/
Old 09-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #163

Quote:
With Discover, just transfer all the money out back to your primary checking account. Because it's accumulating interest it may take you an extra cycle to get all the money out as interest will post at the end of the month and then you should transfer the interest the day it posts so no more interest accumulates. You can use the account closure form to close it when the balance settles to $0.

https://bank.discover.com/bankac/cus...horization.pdf

1.8% is a good rate at this time. However, that's 1.8% for a full year - so you'll collect $270 on your $15k balance over 12 months. Do this - take $10k of it, and move it over to Capital One and you'll get $200 in 60 days...more than it would make in the Discover account for a full year. On top of that, the Capital One interest rate is 1.85%.

https://www.capitalone.com/offer200/
Ah thanks for the tips! Unfortunately I already have a CapitalOne account from before...and almost all of the new offers require you don't have an active account with them. I need to start closing all the zero or near zero bank accounts out there that I previously used for cash back offers

Edit: I just looked into my CapOne account and turns out that I had a sharebuilder investment account that got scooped up by Capital One. Now looks like they're transferring it to ETrade soon according to the banner on top.
So may be I can open the account and see what happens.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Ah thanks for the tips! Unfortunately I already have a CapitalOne account from before...and almost all of the new offers require you don't have an active account with them. I need to start closing all the zero or near zero bank accounts out there that I previously used for cash back offers

Edit: I just looked into my CapOne account and turns out that I had a sharebuilder investment account that got scooped up by Capital One. Now looks like they're transferring it to ETrade soon according to the banner on top.
So may be I can open the account and see what happens.

Is the current account in your name? Do you have other family members in your household which you can register the new account for (wife/kids)?
Old 09-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been keeping an eye on the 2year CDs offered via Fidelity, as the 2 year seems to be a sweet spot*. Finally today the Morgan Stanley offers a 2.85% 2 year CD - up from the 2.8% CD offered by several banks for quite a while now.

The 2 year Treasury has been lagging, but catching up recently. It finally made it to 2.76% today.

*Not counting the 3.25% 15 month CD special offered by NASA FCU this month.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I've been keeping an eye on the 2year CDs offered via Fidelity, as the 2 year seems to be a sweet spot*. Finally today the Morgan Stanley offers a 2.85% 2 year CD - up from the 2.8% CD offered by several banks for quite a while now.

The 2 year Treasury has been lagging, but catching up recently. It finally made it to 2.76% today.

Do you typically buy new CDs or on the secondary market? Do you have a preference?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #167

I'm all set up with my 3.25% CD at NASA! Applied Saturday, money transferred into CD this morning.

It was a much smoother process than I anticipated.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I'm all set up with my 3.25% CD at NASA! Applied Saturday, money transferred into CD this morning.

It was a much smoother process than I anticipated.
Simple girl, did you do ACH transfer?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:54 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Do you typically buy new CDs or on the secondary market? Do you have a preference?
Only new for me so far.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #170

Quote:
Only new for me so far.
Curious how you sort buying Treasuries at no cost vs buying OI CD's?
Personally not seeing much yield advantage in CDs over Treasuries and the cost for liquidity if necessary looks cheaper than CD penalties and/or sales commissions.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Personally not seeing much yield advantage in CDs over Treasuries and the cost for liquidity if necessary looks cheaper than CD penalties and/or sales commissions.
I’ve been buying short-term treasuries lately. But also picked up the Andrews FCU 2.75% 9 month CD. Treasuries recently have been beating CDs below 12 months, but not at and above.

Treasury costs for selling early in a rising interest rate environment is the loss on the value as well as the commission. It’s not just the commission.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Simple girl, did you do ACH transfer?
I used a credit card to open the savings account - easier than ACH IMO. I then wired the big $ from our our other
money market account to our new NASA savings account. That took 2 days by the time our money market account confirmed all of my data and then completed the wire (I'm not complaining - I really like their security features).

After the $$$ was in my NASA savings account I simply called and they transferred it into the CD (which I had set up upon opening the account initially).

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 09-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #173

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I just opened a DiscoverBank account. No thaw required. No shenanigans. Just filled-out a form online and ACH'd the money from my CU. Only 1.8% APR, but getting $200 in cash as a new account bonus. When I pull from tax deferred accounts in December to fund all of 2019, I might research these CD opportunities, but at this point in the year, my after tax cash is low, and my tax advantaged accounts don't hold cash in very big amounts.
I've mentioned this and similar bonus offers.

I did the Discover Savings Account offer last year. It is one of the best, because there are no fees, there is no early account closure restriction/fees, and you get your bonus in just a few weeks after funding the account. When I did it, I opened the account, had the bonus less than a month later, transferred all the money out immediately thereafter.
I've got my $200 already! Given the 1.8% APR, the effective APR with the bonus stays above 3.25% for nearly 7 months!
Quote:
The one I've done for the best return on "investment" - HSBC checking account - put $1500 in, they give you $200 bonus after 90 days. Can close the account 6 months after opening with no early closure fee.
I might need to try that next. Usually I don't mess around with stuff like this, but I could come to like it
Old 09-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #174

Quote:
Huh? NASA CU 15-month CD is 3.25%. Even the 30 year Treasury is less than that (@3.07%). The 12 month treasury yield is 2.49%, the 2 year is 2.66%.

Even with state tax free, that is a big yield advantage.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Huh? NASA CU 15-month CD is 3.25%. Even the 30 year Treasury is less than that (@3.07%). The 12 month treasury yield is 2.49%, the 2 year is 2.66%.

Even with state tax free, that is a big yield advantage.
This is true. Even 5 yr CDs currently at 3.35% are beating any treasuries.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #176

Quote:
Treasury costs for selling early in a rising interest rate environment is the loss on the value as well as the commission. It’s not just the commission.
True! But I don't see how that is different in loss of value (at last on brokered CD) that you sell before maturity. While probably small, suspect value loss would be less on Treasury.
On direct CD's 6 mon loss of interest seems to be pretty common for <2 yr
Old 09-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
True! But I don't see how that is different in loss of value (at last on brokered CD) that you sell before maturity. While probably small, suspect value loss would be less on Treasury.
On direct CD's 6 mon loss of interest seems to be pretty common for <2 yr
Some direct CDs are only 60 days interest penalty on early withdrawal - even up to 2 years (Ally). 12 month or less CDs tend to have much lower than 180 days interest penalty. 90 days or less is common.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wells Fargo did a one-up on Morgan Stanley today offering 2.9% for a 2 year CD.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #179

Quote:
Wells Fargo did a one-up on Morgan Stanley today offering 2.9% for a 2 year CD.
Wells Fargo has been consistently offering the highest rates in several durations. It's not a lot of money in total if you add up the offerings, but it's a little unnerving to me as a stockholder.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't see that rate in my area. What area are you in, and what division of Wells Fargo?
Closed Thread