Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Canadians...……….. Simplii Financial (Branch of CIBC)

Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GIC)
Invest in a 3.10% 1-year GIC today.

Just stumbled on this. Harbor Bank of Maryland IRA MM is 2.6% w/ $500 min. That’s 500 not 500k! This is listed on depositaccounts and the bank website. I know they are a small local bank based in Baltimore. I’ll be looking into this.

Finally got this IRA MM account funded today. Harbor Bank of Maryland is very small, very low tech. The MM rate is 2.71 now so hope it will be worthwhile. It satisfies my urge to have a small stash in a local brick and mortar (along with PenFed Premium Savings).

Ally Savings now 2.0%
Capital One 360 MM 2.0% ($10,000+)
Goldman/Marcus 2.05%

Yes, I just got the announcement from Ally on the change to 2.0%. They always seem to be a few weeks behind on these changes, but they make up for it with the 11-mo CD.

For regular savings, American Express Bank increased the interest rate to 2% APY. Effective today.

And Barclays Online Savings is at 2.05%. They seem to be competing for the same funds. I have money at both & find them very similar in convenience & ease for transferring money in & out.

I still think VMMXX beats the lot for liquidity.

+1.

And as pb4uski mentioned earlier, the yield has been gradually increasing. It's at 2.25% right now and it started the week around 2.23% (or 2.22%)?

It's finally moving in the right direction.

Can someone tell me if VMMXX can be purchased and held in a non Vanguard brokerage account?

Can someone tell me if VMMXX can be purchased and held in a non Vanguard brokerage account?

Not from Fidelity.

If if it was available you'd pay a $75 transaction fee on purchase blowing away any benefit from the higher interest rate.

Not from Fidelity.

If if it was available you'd pay a $75 transaction fee on purchase blowing away any benefit from the higher interest rate.

If you’re @ Fido, FZDXX currently has 7-day yield of 2.11% with no transaction fee.

Sallie Mae (one of the places I have some cash) just raised their MM APR from 2.10% to 2.20%. Their high yield savings is a slightly lower 2.10%.

While they aren't the highest (there are those at 2.25% and even a couple now at 2.35%), they have been pretty good at raising the rates to remain somewhat competitive.

ETA: They have also been good in not having to have hoops to jump through to get the new rate - it is automatically applied to the funds there. (Unlike HSBC, who lost my account because of that crap and places like MysavingsDirect.)

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of competition for our cash lately. When's the last time that happened, and what happened next?

Not from Fidelity.

Thanks Audrey. I had determined that I couldn’t buy that fund at ML, but wondered if others who aren’t Vanguard brokerage holders were able to buy it from non Vanguard brokerage accounts. I guess it’s proprietary. I suppose I could set up a brokerage at Vanguard to hold that fund, and view as just another institution that I use for high yield savings/CD’s.

Last edited:
While we scrap for eveey last basis point L Bell left $14 mil on the table. He will never get that that $14 mil back. Boo hoo. Gimme that basis point before I rip it outta yo hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom