Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #401
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx View Post
I agree. Pushing money into Ally is not a problem. It gets credit immediately.

The problem is if you use Ally's ACH system. Ally's ACH system is generally 2 or 3 business days, unless you have satisfied their one-day ACH conditions.
Then I suggest pushing what you want to their high yield savings account, and funding a CD from there. The CD funding is immediate, same day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #402
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Then I suggest pushing what you want to their high yield savings account, and funding a CD from there. The CD funding is immediate, same day.
I currently don't have any opened Ally accounts, so it will take a while to setup a push into Ally. Plus, the money is at Vanguard, which makes it even longer. Vanguard's ACH push takes at least 10 days to setup.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #403
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmm. We are going to fund our Ally Online Savings account for the 1% bonus using a Chase checking account. They are now both linked, and Chase says if I push on the 17th they will deliver on the 19th. Ally says if I pull from Chase today they will have it the 19th. Makes me suspect that if I pull on the 17th Ally may not credit till the 22nd - 3 business days. Not what I expected, I figured Chase would be real slow.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #404
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Hmm. We are going to fund our Ally Online Savings account for the 1% bonus using a Chase checking account. They are now both linked, and Chase says if I push on the 17th they will deliver on the 19th. Ally says if I pull from Chase today they will have it the 19th. Makes me suspect that if I pull on the 17th Ally may not credit till the 22nd - 3 business days. Not what I expected, I figured Chase would be real slow.
Would you try a mobile check deposit? I think it allows $50k each day and should be credited same day.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #405
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was talking about funding a CD from the Ally high yield savings account in my post.

Have no idea about funding from Chase.

I did a pull from the CD at Ally today which I expect to see in an external account tomorrow, 17th, and if it happens like last time, the CD should credit me for a deposit on the 18th even though Ally says the 19th.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #406
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sigh. I don't have much left sitting around (except some cash in the Northern Bank Direct 2.25% MM account) until my PenFed CD's come due in late December/early January..or I can sell some equities from a non-tax-deferred account. The 'trouble' with selling equities is that I have few losers left - which means capital gains considerations. [Note to self: The last time I big time didn't want to sell things because of large capital gains considerations was...um....early 2000. ]
Old 10-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #407
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Would you try a mobile check deposit? I think it allows $50k each day and should be credited same day.
Interesting thought. We do mobile deposits fairly often into our Discover account, maybe we'll fund Ally that way.

Audreyh1, I was jumping to your conversation regarding manner of funding and thinking funding various Ally product would all work the same way. May be moot anyway: we are selling some VACDX tax free municipal bond fund that keeps dropping in value. It pays dividends ok, but thinking to take a loss on the sale for tax purposes this year - Ally funding presents an opportunity. Chase is holding the VACDX to get our accounts up in private client range and when I tried to sell online today there was a glitch and their bond desk had to place the order. Not seeing sign of it executing yet, and if it isn't cash we can't move it to Ally. Still have some time.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:53 AM   #408
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I spoke to an Ally supervisor and she told me that the "sign up" period must be by the 21st, but the funding didn't need to take place until the 31st.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:16 AM   #409
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I currently don't have any opened Ally accounts, so it will take a while to setup a push into Ally. Plus, the money is at Vanguard, which makes it even longer. Vanguard's ACH push takes at least 10 days to setup.
I just did one, it took 1 day. I was quite amazed actually. Funny as I hear a lot of complaints about Vanguard (Various ones from CS to Transfer Times etc.) but have never experienced any of them personally, they have been great for me. I only have about $200k with them though at the moment. That will change in December.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #410
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I just did one, it took 1 day. I was quite amazed actually. Funny as I hear a lot of complaints about Vanguard (Various ones from CS to Transfer Times etc.) but have never experienced any of them personally, they have been great for me. I only have about $200k with them though at the moment. That will change in December.
Just to clarify: the 10 days I was referring to is the setup of a new ACH link at Vanguard. After the usual microdeposits, Vanguard will send you a snail mail and set a wait time of 7 or 10 days (can't remember the exact number). During this time, you can only use the new ACH link to transfer money into Vanguard; you cannot transfer money out.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #411
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just to clarify: the 10 days I was referring to is the setup of a new ACH link at Vanguard. After the usual microdeposits, Vanguard will send you a snail mail and set a wait time of 7 or 10 days (can't remember the exact number). During this time, you can only use the new ACH link to transfer money into Vanguard; you cannot transfer money out.
Our initial setup took about 4 days, got a snail mail as confirmation, but had done some transfers by then. 1 week is not unreasonable when it comes to security and bank accounts. IMHO.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #412
Give me a forum ...

Pima Federal Credit Union Adds 14-Month CD Special, 3.00% APY
Old 10-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #413
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ally Bonus Question

Does anyone know if I can move $ OUT of Ally now, enroll for the bonus by Sunday and then move the $ back a few days later and still qualify for the bonus? I recently had a CD mature from another institution and moved that $ to Ally before I learned about the bonus so was hoping I could do this and still qualify. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #414
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does anyone know of a JP Morgan FI product (MMF or short term CD) with a competitive rate? I received a great ‘points’ offer if I deposit $$$ with them but, some quick research found nothing attractive.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #415
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown2014 View Post
Does anyone know if I can move $ OUT of Ally now, enroll for the bonus by Sunday and then move the $ back a few days later and still qualify for the bonus? I recently had a CD mature from another institution and moved that $ to Ally before I learned about the bonus so was hoping I could do this and still qualify. Thanks!
I think it’s too late. According to the deposit accounts article and comments, funds removed after 10/8 count as withdrawals against any funds moved in by 10/31. And you can’t remove added funds until 1/15 either.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #416
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it’s too late. According to the deposit accounts article and comments, funds removed after 10/8 count as withdrawals against any funds moved in by 10/31. And you can’t remove added funds until 1/15 either.
Dammit. We recently sold our ATL home and had the proceeds wired to Ally. Was going to transfer that $ out, open two new Ally accounts (one for me and one for DW) and bring that money back in to get two 1K bonuses. Guess that plan is shot...
Old 10-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #417
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Dammit. We recently sold our ATL home and had the proceeds wired to Ally. Was going to transfer that $ out, open two new Ally accounts (one for me and one for DW) and bring that money back in to get two 1K bonuses. Guess that plan is shot...
When did the money reach Ally? If the money arrived at Ally on 10/8/18 or later, you are still good.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #418
Give me a forum ...

I opened an account at Ally, to take advantage of their promotion. Was extremely easy and smooth.
Another Ally Bonus Question
Old 10-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #419
Dryer sheet aficionado

Another Ally Bonus Question

Thanks for your reply Audreyh1. Do you know if new $ is transferred to Ally for the bonus whether you can transfer old $ money at Ally out before the January 15 without losing the bonus?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #420
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was talking about funding a CD from the Ally high yield savings account in my post.

Have no idea about funding from Chase.

I did a pull from the CD at Ally today which I expect to see in an external account tomorrow, 17th, and if it happens like last time, the CD should credit me for a deposit on the 18th even though Ally says the 19th.

I'll keep you posted.
Ally pulled the funds from my external account yesterday 18th. And today the CD shows as being funded.

So that was just one day.