Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We will see tomorrow....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #762
Full time employment: Posting here.

Agree. Tomorrow will tell the tale. Its been 2.8% 1 yr and 3.6% 5 yr. where I am looking.
Will be buying several after the 1st. Might lock up a 1 yr in the next week or two though.
Will see how it plays out. The good thing is, its not overnight. Seems to be a slow process lately.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #763
Give me a forum ...

Anyone here have significant cash ($250k and above) in a CD with a B+ rated Credit Union, or do you stick to A and A+?
Old 12-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #764
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Anyone here have significant cash ($250k and above) in a CD with a B+ rated Credit Union, or do you stick to A and A+?
What rating service are you using? I'm finding lots of star ratings.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #765
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
What rating service are you using? I'm finding lots of star ratings.
The default one on depositaccounts.com. Select the CU and drill down till you see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-12-19_10-53-07.jpg (299.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #766
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I follow the deposit accounts web site daily. The number of new long term CD deals (e.g. 3-5 years) has dried up drastically in the last month or so. The move ups have mostly been on savings/mm accounts and other shorter term CD's.

It seems as if banks also sense that rates on the longer side of the CD ladder have peaked, at least temporarily.

I have some Penfed CD's maturing tomorrow. I had intended to keep it in money market funds, but am starting to question whether I should instead grab one of the remaining decent 4 year deals, e.g. 3.2% at Connexus or something like that...at least with part of the money.

Fidelity brokered CDs only has six 5year CDs available, and 2 of the 6 are "Bank of India". Also the rates are back down to 3.5%. The 10year I was looking at has also dropped. One gets the impression the banks have people on staff to forecast where the rates are going to go....
Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #767
Give me a forum ...

When did Ally up their 11 month no penalty CD to 2.3%?

Also - I see they are offering their 12 month CD for 2.75%. This matches the best offerings through Fidelity new issues CDs. Ally has 60 days interest early withdrawal penalty for CDs up to 24 months.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #768

It was 2.5% just the other day so recently then.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #769

Quote:
I have three separate $100,000. CD's in various local and Online banks that are FDIC insured but no credit unions. These CD's are laddered simply so I have access to the cash within a short time frame if needed.

For me, as long as a Credit Union is NCUSIF insured I wouldn't overly care about it's rating.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #770

Quote:

I avoid CDs from the low ranked and foreign institutions.
Yes, they are insured, but why risk going through the take over process and probable cash-out of your CD when steps can be taken to avoid it?
Old 12-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #771
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When did Ally up their 11 month no penalty CD to 2.3%?

Also - I see they are offering their 12 month CD for 2.75%. This matches the best offerings through Fidelity new issues CDs. Ally has 60 days interest early withdrawal penalty for CDs up to 24 months.
I will be switching most of my Ally 2% savings to the no penalty CD in Jan after the bonus holding period ends. 30 extra bps for no extra risk.
When the rates are on the rise, do you just keep canceling the existing no penalty CD's and get the new one?
Old 12-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #772
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I will be switching most of my Ally 2% savings to the no penalty CD in Jan after the bonus holding period ends. 30 extra bps for no extra risk.
When the rates are on the rise, do you just keep canceling the existing no penalty CD's and get the new one?
Me too. I’m just hoping they don’t drop rates Jan 1. But none of these are labeled as “specials” with an expiration date.

Maybe come Jan 15 they’ll have deals to entice new money to stay.

Yes, I have upgraded my no-penalty CDs every so often as rates have risen. But I might lock in higher rates somewhere.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #773

There's nothing in Ally's fine print about not being able to do just that. I'm in that same boat with that 1% bonus money.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #774

Folks with credit card debt will see the rate increase immediately.
5 yr. CD's? Could be a while till it trickles up...Meanwhile the one year CD is only
about .5% away from the 5 yr?
Strategic thoughts?
Old 12-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #775
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Me too. I’m just hoping they don’t drop rates Jan 1. But none of these are labeled as “specials” with an expiration date.

Maybe come Jan 15 they’ll have deals to entice new money to stay.

Yes, I have upgraded my no-penalty CDs every so often as rates have risen. But I might lock in higher rates somewhere.
Related question - is there a hard pull on the credit when opening a CD at Ally, or soft pull?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #776

Have a bunch in Ally. But am leaving soon as they have not kept up over the past few years. All I see is a nice 12 mo. Not the best, but better than the rest of their rates.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #777
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Have a bunch in Ally. But am leaving soon as they have not kept up over the past few years. All I see is a nice 12 mo. Not the best, but better than the rest of their rates.
Ally very strange with CD's. Their 18 month rate is below their 12 month rate. Fidelity offers a 2 yr Ally brokered CD, while Ally doesn't even offer a "regular" 2 yr CD.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #778
Give me a forum ...

And the fed is doing another hike. A little bit of hurry up and wait to see what comes down the pike in the next couple of weeks.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #779

Quote:
Ally very strange with CD's. Their 18 month rate is below their 12 month rate. Fidelity offers a 2 yr Ally brokered CD, while Ally doesn't even offer a "regular" 2 yr CD.

I've seen massive (2x) differences between CD terms that I can get as a retail customer of a couple of the major banks and the terms I can get from those same banks on brokered CDs at Fidelity. Counter-intuitive.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #780
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Related question - is there a hard pull on the credit when opening a CD at Ally, or soft pull?
I’ve never seen a credit pull from Ally on my credit records. So if they do pull it’s soft.

I don’t remember if there was an initial hard pull when I first became a customer.
Closed Thread