Join Early Retirement Today

Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here
Old 01-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

Joining the Navy Federal Credit union..... 40 month cd 3.75% $150k max.

In other news...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-...avings-to-get/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Long CD rates have been coming down because the long treasuries have dropped significantly over the past few weeks. Seeing lower rates via Fidelity.

You can still get 3.5% for 5 year at PenFed.org.

The short-term CDs are still up. Ally is offering 2.85% for a 14 month CD special.
You are very correct; I have been tracking rates for the past few months. Not long ago, I saw 5 yr cds at 3.7%, then last week 3.5%. Now, just over 3.4%. This is using the CD tool at TD Ameritrade
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Joining the Navy Federal Credit union..... 40 month cd 3.75% $150k max.

In other news...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-...avings-to-get/

That’s only for IRAs.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
That’s only for IRAs.
Too bad. My last CD is coming due with Navy. I'll keep the savings account open, though, waiting for opportunities given the hoops I had to jump through to become a member.
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lili View Post
Too bad. My last CD is coming due with Navy. I'll keep the savings account open, though, waiting for opportunities given the hoops I had to jump through to become a member.
I like the 3 yr variable rate at NFCU right now at 3.04% apy. It adjusts on the anniversary of the CD and I think you can add funds at that time. I bought one last year in May so I can add funds this May to what will be a 2yr CD at ~3%.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Ally has a 20-30 minute wait time today. Folks are bailing out for greener pastures me thinketh. As they pay CD dividends on 12/31..Put 150k into an IRA at Navy Fed at 3.75% today. Good start for 2019........
Old 01-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Ally has a 20-30 minute wait time today. Folks are bailing out for greener pastures me thinketh. As they pay CD dividends on 12/31..Put 150k into an IRA at Navy Fed at 3.75% today. Good start for 2019........
Good job! That is a great rate...CD rates are cratering in all maturities at Fidelity and Merrill and I assume everywhere else.

Any outfit which has a brokerage arm has long wait times this past week - investors are getting scared and bailing.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Good job! That is a great rate...CD rates are cratering in all maturities at Fidelity and Merrill and I assume everywhere else.

Any outfit which has a brokerage arm has long wait times this past week - investors are getting scared and bailing.
Interesting though that Ally is offering a 2.75% 1 year CD, while Fidelity is 15 bps lower.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #9

Yea, the 3.75% is a 40th month CD? With a cap of $150k. Have 88k left that needs to find a long term home. Getting 2% in a MM right now. Was planning to see how it goes over the next few months. But as the 10 yr was down another 4% today to 2.55% am getting spooked. Was 3.20 just 30 days ago. Any geniuses out there? With 5 yr CD predictions for 2019?

Also got in on the ALLY 2.75% 1yr CD this week. Long term is tough right now...

Mountain America credit union still has 5yr CD at 3.51%.
Maxed out there though... In case anyone is interested in 3.51%.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Interesting though that Ally is offering a 2.75% 1 year CD, while Fidelity is 15 bps lower.
Get it while you can - next iteration of it will be lower.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Yea, the 3.75% is a 40th month CD? With a cap of $150k. Have 88k left that needs to find a long term home. Getting 2% in a MM right now. Was planning to see how it goes over the next few months. But as the 10 yr was down another 4% today to 2.55% am getting spooked. Was 3.20 just 30 days ago. Any geniuses out there? With 5 yr CD predictions for 2019?

Also got in on the ALLY 2.75% 1yr CD this week. Long term is tough right now...

Mountain America credit union still has 5yr CD at 3.51%.
Maxed out there though... In case anyone is interested in 3.51%.
Yes - I rely heavily on CDs and municipal bonds and my jaw dropped when I saw the 10-year drop below 2.6% and just kept going.

I was watching the CD yields in secondary market and to get 3.75% you have to go out to 9 years. 3.8% was the maximum available for going out to 2030-2033 and they're all gone! Those were previously at 4.0%-4.1%. I even have proof of it as I have a few I picked up at 3.93% (12/2027), 4.09% (4/2030) and 4.12% (11/2030).

Yesterday I was able to pick up a 5 1/2 year pre-refunded muni for 3.8% so I'm pretty happy with that.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yea, the 3.75% is a 40th month CD? With a cap of $150k. Have 88k left that needs to find a long term home. Getting 2% in a MM right now. Was planning to see how it goes over the next few months. .
Might as well lock that in for only $50 on the 40 mo @ 3.75 CD. It has the add-on at anytime feature so you can add more later if greener pastures do not arise. The add-on feature is a great option.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #13

I locked in two jumbo CD's at PenFed yesterday. The 3% for 3 years option. Yes, I could have gotten the 3.5 for 5 years...but....

That with the two jumbos I did at Langley at 3% for 29 months and at least maybe these CD funds will keep up with CPI.

I can not do Navy Federal Credit Union. I tried to become a member.

Am seeing some brokered CDs paying 3.4% for 5 years. I don't typically like brokered CD's.
although they are fine if held to maturity.

Am looking around for the 2% MMA as I have more I need to get invested as well. Setting things up just takes some time.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #14

Thats exactly what I did today. Opened it with $50.00. Started the wire transfer of $149,950.00 today as well. Made for a semi long day. lol lol

My 84 yr old dad was in the Army. Was good enough to get in Navy Fed.

Also looking at the 3.4% 5 yr brokered at Ch Schwab. Down from 3.75% 2 weeks ago....
Argh......

Am getting 2% in a savings with Ally, 2.3% in the Ch Schwab MM / SWVXX, if that helps at all.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I noticed that the number of CD offerings through Fidelity dropped significantly over the past week. Due to the new year?
Old 01-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #16

May be due to the 10 yr the past month?
Longer term rates dropping... One yr holding? Somewhat anyway...
(I don't pretend to understand it)...........
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (53.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-04-2019, 01:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I noticed that the number of CD offerings through Fidelity dropped significantly over the past week. Due to the new year?
Quote:
I've seen it happen before. I can't remember if it was at this time last year, or some other time. However, I do seem to remember that it did occur at the end of a month. There will be plenty more available soon, I'm sure. However, they (the banks) are probably trying to figure out the lowest rates they can get away with offering.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #18

I'm planning on withdrawing the money from some 1.8 % cd's and taking the 6 month penalty and reinvesting in Penfed cd's for the 3.5 % 5 year term. Penfed says I don't have to contact my other bank/credit union in order to do the ACH transfer. I just give Penfed the routing number of my bank/credit union, and my checking or savings acct number there, make sure I have enough cash in the account, and they make it happen. No passwords needed. I just enter some personal identifying details in the phone tree system when I call Penfed. I'm already a member of Penfed, and I'll be requesting the transfer over the phone. I assume the ACH algorithm will verify IP addresses of Penfed and my bank, and who knows what else to make sure it is a legit transfer. Sound right? I have no reason to doubt Penfed, just asking, sort of out of curiosity. Thanks
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:26 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

PenFed allows partial withdrawals, I believe. That compensates a tiny bit for their extraordinarily harsh early withdrawal penalties which amount to forfeiting up to 18 months of interest on a 5 year CD.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:32 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have a feeling not much will change till after the next FOMC Meeting. When I first got my 3% CDs from Penfed, they started in December of 2013 and stopped in March 2014. I have some maturing in February 2019. I am sure they will want to re-capture potential defectors.