Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #201
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Ally folks - keep in mind that the 2.85% 14-month CD is still available through the end of February.
Yes, opened one last week😀

Carol1862 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #202
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol1862 View Post
Yes, opened one last week��
Good job!

I did one a month ago. Then decided a couple days ago, after interest rates continued falling and rates on new issue brokered CDs all fell, that I should do another while they had not taken it away. If they do continue to offer it all the way to month end, I'll likely open a third the last week of the month.

njhowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:17 AM   #203
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
I did one a month ago. Then decided a couple days ago, after interest rates continued falling and rates on new issue brokered CDs all fell, that I should do another while they had not taken it away. If they do continue to offer it all the way to month end, I'll likely open a third the last week of the month.

I also purchased one a month ago. It was @2.9% because ALLY throws you a small bone for rolling over a maturing CD. I planned on purchasing another one @2.9% tomorrow with another maturing ALLY CD. But, I just changed the maturity options to cancel this. The 3.2% 15-month NASA FCU CD is more attractive to me. Or, according to NASA's web site, that rate is astronomical .

BTW, I occasionally open a $1 3-month CD at ALLY because it often aligns with the extra 0.05% bone that ALLY is willing to throw. With one of these place holder CDs, at maturity, you can change the term and then add an extra amount of money.
adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #204
Recycles dryer sheets

Navy FCU has a new (as of today) 6-month CD at 3% available for both IRA and non-IRA certificates. Does not appear to have a maximum.

17-month 3.25% is also still available (non-IRA; $50K max) along with 40-month 3.75 (IRA only; $150K max).

Tough decision on the 6 month..great rate for a short time, but hard to say what will be available in 6 months after it matures..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #205
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
I also purchased one a month ago. It was @2.9% because ALLY throws you a small bone for rolling over a maturing CD.
Huh, I wasn't aware of that. Does Ally automatically tack on that extra 0.05% if you roll over the maturing CD into a new one, or you you have to specifically request it (and if so, how)?

I also have an Ally 1-year CD maturing tomorrow. I was on the fence about what to do with the money, so I originally had it going into my Ally savings account. But just now I changed the renewal instructions online, to have it roll over into a new 14-month select CD (which is the option I was leaning towards anyways).

So if that results in a bit more interest, I'll have you to thank for that, adrift!
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #206
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Huh, I wasn't aware of that. Does Ally automatically tack on that extra 0.05% if you roll over the maturing CD into a new one, or you you have to specifically request it (and if so, how)?
It's automatic. But, it happens in a quirky way. When it rolls over it will show 2.85%. After 10 days, it will show 2.9%. The 2.9% is retroactive to the day it rolled over.

The 10 day period is significant at ALLY. If the rate goes up during that period, they give you the higher rate. You can also add more money during that period. I'm pretty sure you can do a partial withdrawal. However, I've never done that.
adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #207
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got an email a week or so before my Ally CD matured. If you havenít received that notice I would call.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #208
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
It's automatic. But, it happens in a quirky way. When it rolls over it will show 2.85%. After 10 days, it will show 2.9%. The 2.9% is retroactive to the day it rolled over.

The 10 day period is significant at ALLY. If the rate goes up during that period, they give you the higher rate. You can also add more money during that period. I'm pretty sure you can do a partial withdrawal. However, I've never done that.
Very interesting. Thanks for those very useful details.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #209

I got an email from PenFed announcing they have doubled the daily ACH limit to 10k for transfers initiated at PenFed for the Premium Online acct. I gotta think the 10k limit is for all ACH transfers initiated at PenFed and not just the Premium savings. I know the 5k limit was an issue for many folks but 10k still seems pretty low.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #210
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I got an email a week or so before my Ally CD matured. If you haven’t received that notice I would call.
Thanks. I did get an email last week about my CD maturing today, but it specified what I had requested at the time, that it was closing with the balance being transferred to my Ally savings account. It didn't say anything about a (slightly) higher interest rate if I rolled the balance into a new CD.

I went online late yesterday afternoon and changed the instructions to roll the balance into a new 14-mo Select CD. I was surprised I could change the renewal options so close to the maturing date, but it looks like I could have done so anytime during the 10-day grace period after the CD matured. Wow.

My brand-new CD currently shows the 2.85% rate, but based on adrift's remarks I imagine it'll show 2.9% after 10 days. Woo woo.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #211
Recycles dryer sheets

I just saw this while perusing the Depositaccounts.com blog. If you live in SoCal, you're in luck!

Frontwave Credit Union (CA) Ups 3-Year CD, 3.50% APY

POSTED ON TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2019 BY Ken Tumin

Deal Summary: 3-year Share Certificate, 3.50% APY, $1k minimum deposit.

Availability: Residents* of Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego Counties, California.
*field of membership includes those who live, work, or worship(?) in those counties, or immediate family members of current Frontwave members.

Frontwave Credit Union (Frontwave) started the month by raising the rate on its 3-year Share Certificate to 3.50% APY. The minimum opening deposit is $1K, with no stated balance cap.

More info here:
https://www.depositaccounts.com/bank...-union/offers/
Old 02-05-2019, 05:47 PM   #212

I found some CUs can be a little more lenient after a rate drop. I got Connexus to give me their higher rate after it dropped several days earlier. Last week, US Senate was willing to honor their 3.69% until end of this week when I told them that Ally Bank had been jerking me around with misinformation delays before they finally overnighted the check at their expense. Even rigid PFCU, gave in to my request to renew my IRA @ 3.4% after they dropped the rate several day before.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #213

I find the NASA platform very easy to work with. Opened a 25 month earlier this week with a push from Ally that transferred overnight. We opened a 15 month at NASA last September. We also opened an 18 month At Navy in early January. I am slowly building the CD ladder, that I've been attempting to structure for the last year or so, all with rates over 3%. I wish I had more No penalty Ally CD's to break so that I could take advantage of the superior NASA rates, but alas I will have to wait until August and then December for the Ally Cd's to mature.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #214
Confused about dryer sheets

In my mail yesterday. 15 month CD at citizens bank 3.25% APY. Unfortunately New Hampshire only.

$1000 minimum $1 million max (actually says $999,999.99)
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #215
Recycles dryer sheets

Has anyone used Texell Credit Union? They post a 3.55% 5 year CD. They are convenient to me and a good rate. But when I read the reviews they were awful. So, I am thinking of staying clear. Just curious if anyone else happen to have banked there?
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #216
Recycles dryer sheets

Opening a 15-month CD in an IRA at NASA FCU. I was able to join online after unfreezing my report at Experian, but the IRA portion requires printing, signing and mailing forms. I had already decided to simplify down to two other institutions but these special rates are better than available through my brokerage.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
Anyone here a Merrill Lynch/BOA customer and using the PVOXX MM at 2.55%? If you are a Merrill Lynch customer, know that they are about to reduce the normal sweep MM accounts interest so you need to switch.
Shabby; If you are listening, what did you mean by the bolded part of your statement? I have been researching what options I have in our ML accounts to earn some meaningful interest on funds that accumulate in our three ML brokerage accounts? I was given info from the ML premier account advisor assigned to us on 5 or 6 options, PVOXX being one of them. He indicated that PVOXX and the others were not sweep accounts and that I would need to execute the purchases and sales on my own, which is fine with me. Sooooo - when you say reduce interest, I'd like to know what you refer to. I reviewed the fact sheet on PVOXX and did not see any reference to reducing interest. Thanks for your input. We are also looking at TMCXX, which seems to have the same 7 day SEC yield of 2.55%.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #218

Penfed won't do an ACH transaction over the phone, to move $$$ into their Premium Savings 2% account. I have to do it using their website, myself. The website insists on having a cell phone number to send a verification code to. I hate to give out my cell phone number to anyone. Will Penfed be spamming my cell number with lots of unwanted offers, like they do my email? I don't mind the spam to my email, since I just delete it and it doesn't cost me anything but a click. But each spam to my cell phone will cost me something since I am on a pay-as-you-go setup.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Will Penfed be spamming my cell number with lots of unwanted offers, like they do my email?
John, They do not spam my phone or email...Ö..
Old 02-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
The website insists on having a cell phone number to send a verification code to.
A number of institutions have security code verification and use phone and some have the option to use your email which I prefer.