Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Historic Florida
Posts: 3,065
Vanguard VMMXX is 2.47% Compounded. Not bad for a MM. vs Fidelity FZDXX at
2.4% The difference is probably because Fidelity has higher fees.
__________________

__________________
"Arguing with an Engineer is like rolling in the mud with a pig. Just remember that the pig likes it."
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 3,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Vanguard VMMXX is 2.47% Compounded. Not bad for a MM. vs Fidelity FZDXX at
2.4% The difference is probably because Fidelity has higher fees.
Yes that is true. Personally, I look at MM and cash like accounts after fees, so in this case the 7 bps wouldn't be enough to go to Vanguard since Fidelity is my main investment house.
__________________

__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #83
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10
I’ve just updated my Penfed 5 years CD from 3 to 3.5 percent last month. Now I got a Chase broker $100k CD maturing, my Chase adviser suggested that in lieu of a 5 years CD at 3.2% to a annuity account at 3.3% where it will be compounded daily and better withdraw rate with less penalties and tax deferral. Also covers up to $1M insured. Your input and thanks!
51togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 45,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51togo View Post
Iíve just updated my Penfed 5 years CD from 3 to 3.5 percent last month. Now I got a Chase broker $100k CD maturing, my Chase adviser suggested that in lieu of a 5 years CD at 3.2% to a annuity account at 3.3% where it will be compounded daily and better withdraw rate with less penalties and tax deferral. Also covers up to $1M insured. Your input and thanks!
I suggest you start a separate thread to discuss this annuity option as this thread is about CD and MM rates.
__________________
Numbers is hard

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51togo View Post
Iíve just updated my Penfed 5 years CD from 3 to 3.5 percent last month. Now I got a Chase broker $100k CD maturing, my Chase adviser suggested that in lieu of a 5 years CD at 3.2% to a annuity account at 3.3% where it will be compounded daily and better withdraw rate with less penalties and tax deferral. Also covers up to $1M insured. Your input and thanks!
Agree. Wrong site. "Chase adviser annuity." Run away, Don't walk !
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:49 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 458
Anyone know any tricks to be able to join NavyFed if you're not military or have a family member who is?
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51togo View Post
Iíve just updated my Penfed 5 years CD from 3 to 3.5 percent last month. Now I got a Chase broker $100k CD maturing, my Chase adviser suggested that in lieu of a 5 years CD at 3.2% to a annuity account at 3.3% where it will be compounded daily and better withdraw rate with less penalties and tax deferral. Also covers up to $1M insured. Your input and thanks!
Annuity has a set of features, and some are similar to CD and MM. But you have to be careful not to get caught short. What you mention sounds like a flex annuity, where you can add new dollars. M-I-L had one of these, and it started at a rate greater than 3% (can't recall) and eventually dropped to 3%, which was the minimum. Whatever the annuity salesman says, you need to carefully check everything in the contract. I've heard that sometimes an annuity salesman may not represent all features of the contract.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
Anyone know any tricks to be able to join NavyFed if you're not military or have a family member who is?
"Tricks" are listed here:
https://www.navyfederal.org/resource...vy-federal.php
Become a DoD contractor and get assigned to a DoD facility?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 21,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
.... I've heard that sometimes an annuity salesman may not represent all features of the contract.
This could be in the running for the understatement of 2019.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 45,045
FWIW (not much), 51togo posted his annuity question here so this thread could stay semi-focused on MM and CD rates, which is a subject of interest to many on the forum.
__________________
Numbers is hard

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 766
A few of the 5-year 3.6% CDs showed up on Fidelity this morning and I grabbed them. I have been watching for these since they were all taken last weekend. However, the settlement date on them is 1/18 (maturity 1/18/2024) - meaning they were selling in advance, and anyone who had taken/reserved them is able to cancel until the purchases go through...and then others can take them.
njhowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
A few of the 5-year 3.6% CDs showed up on Fidelity this morning and I grabbed them. I have been watching for these since they were all taken last weekend. However, the settlement date on them is 1/18 (maturity 1/18/2024) - meaning they were selling in advance, and anyone who had taken/reserved them is able to cancel until the purchases go through...and then others can take them.


Thanks. Good info. I wondered how it worked when settlement is many days away.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central, Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,617
Penfed has 3.5% APY CD's 5 or 7 year available now. Not very good EWP but IMO better than trying to market one of the Fidelity 3.6% (not sure if that is APY or APR) on the open market.
__________________
Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:43 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets
retired1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 165
Navy Federal Credit Union:
17 Month CD: 3.25% APY
40 Month CD: 3.75% APY (IRA)

Link: https://www.navyfederal.org/products...ates-rates.php
__________________
Dreaming of ER in 2023 !!
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
ALLY Bonus deadline today
Old 01-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #95
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Golden sunsets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,218
ALLY Bonus deadline today

We made arrangements to open a 17 mo 3.25% CD at Navy Federal for $50. yesterday, after a weeklong process of becoming members. We plan to break a no penalty CD at Ally to fund the remainder of the $50,000 max. Today is the day which the bonus offer stated funds must be retained to, in order to receive the $1,000 offer. Does anyone know if we can remove funds today, or wait until tomorrow? I suppose it makes sense to just wait until tomorrow to push the funds from Ally to NFCU.
__________________
"Luck favors the prepared mind"
Pasteur
Golden sunsets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:10 AM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 3,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
We made arrangements to open a 17 mo 3.25% CD at Navy Federal for $50. yesterday, after a weeklong process of becoming members. We plan to break a no penalty CD at Ally to fund the remainder of the $50,000 max. Today is the day which the bonus offer stated funds must be retained to, in order to receive the $1,000 offer. Does anyone know if we can remove funds today, or wait until tomorrow? I suppose it makes sense to just wait until tomorrow to push the funds from Ally to NFCU.
Based on the many posts on Bogleheads, it appears that one has to wait until the 16th to remove the money.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Golden sunsets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Based on the many posts on Bogleheads, it appears that one has to wait until the 16th to remove the money.
Thanks - Just read through that thread and will wait until the 16th to be sure. I'd love to see a 3.0% minimum 2 year CD show up now for the rest of the $100,000.
__________________
"Luck favors the prepared mind"
Pasteur
Golden sunsets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Thanks - Just read through that thread and will wait until the 16th to be sure. I'd love to see a 3.0% minimum 2 year CD show up now for the rest of the $100,000.
Do you have a spouse/family member that would qualify for membership to open another 17 Mo CD at NFCU? That would take care of another 50k. They are currently offering new member sign up bonuses, too
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #99
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Golden sunsets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,218
We missed out on the $25 bonus. Didn't know about it. We are both on the 50K we just opened. Plus I'm really trying to create a ladder while also grabbing best rates, so I am now looking for a 2 year at 3% minimum.
__________________
"Luck favors the prepared mind"
Pasteur
Golden sunsets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 184
With million's of dollars now becoming "available" from that Ally bonus special I wonder if anyone including Ally have plans to entice people with a new special program or higher rate? It'll be interesting to see.....
__________________

Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 Archive ShokWaveRider FIRE and Money 820 01-21-2019 02:26 PM
When you put 2019 as your retirement year, does Firecalc assume January 1st, 2019 ? cyber888 FIRECalc support 12 09-26-2018 09:46 AM
Noticed more people holding signs "need work or food" rayinpenn Other topics 3 05-03-2015 02:51 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.