Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone, I was hoping to find something closer to 3%, so far besides Melrose, 2.25 is about as good as I've found and they are some what local to me.

Interest Rates | Community Financial Services Bank | Benton - Murray - Paducah | Kentucky - KY
OneDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDay View Post
Thanks everyone, I was hoping to find something closer to 3%, so far besides Melrose, 2.25 is about as good as I've found and they are some what local to me.

Interest Rates | Community Financial Services Bank | Benton - Murray - Paducah | Kentucky - KY
I am not sure I would invest a chunk at cash for 63 months in a "potentially" rising interest rate market.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I am not sure I would invest a chunk at cash for 63 months in a "potentially" rising interest rate market.
I'm pretty sure people thought the same 3 years ago.... and sounds like many are now glad they chose the 5-yr CD.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I understand and have thought rates would have increased for a while now. I have found a 2% 33 month CD.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
I'm pretty sure people thought the same 3 years ago.... and sounds like many are now glad they chose the 5-yr CD.
+1. The Feds are only talking about raising the rate while economy is not there for it. Yet what might force them is a lower world dollar demand due to re balancing of the SDR (IMF) currency basket -a potential higher inflation here.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
63 months.....another oddball term to maturity. If the early withdrawal penalty is not too bad you are not locked out if rates rise significantly. The EWD penalty at Andrews FCU is 6 months interest. I think there is an EWD penalty calculator around somewhere.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Actually the 3% for 84 months with a 6 month EWD penalty looks pretty good to me compared to intermediate-term investment-grade corporate bonds. Better return but no interest rate risk and an easy out if rates rise.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
If you have IRA Monies available, you can transfer to Andrews Federal Credit Union and get 3% for 84 months. I moved monies from Vanguard IRA with minimal issues.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD
I'm guessing this is an option for people who invest their IRA's in the bonds only?
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
I'm guessing this is an option for people who invest their IRA's in the bonds only?
You can transfer over only part of your IRA. The rest can be in stocks or other investments. The insurance limit means you don't want to move your entire IRA anyway (assuming it's more than $200k if reinvesting interest or $250k if distributing interest).
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
63 months.....another oddball term to maturity. If the early withdrawal penalty is not too bad you are not locked out if rates rise significantly. The EWD penalty at Andrews FCU is 6 months interest. I think there is an EWD penalty calculator around somewhere.
www.depositaccounts.com has one that looks pretty good in the >Tools and Calculators< tab. That 6 month penalty looks pretty good. I would consider buying several 84mo CDs to create a ladder using early withdrawals beyond 24 mos.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
If you have IRA Monies available, you can transfer to Andrews Federal Credit Union and get 3% for 84 months. I moved monies from Vanguard IRA with minimal issues.

Argghhh! Always a catch. Don't have much in IRA. Most in regular CD's and 401K.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Best CD rates in the country ?
Old 08-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Best CD rates in the country ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Argghhh! Always a catch. Don't have much in IRA. Most in regular CD's and 401K.

You can usually transfer/roll 401k assets into an IRA w/ no penalty. Have you checked your plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
You can usually transfer/roll 401k assets into an IRA w/ no penalty. Have you checked your plan?

Thanks, Jazz4cash. I'll check into it.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
NFCU has had some outstanding rates recently, but you need a military connection to get on board. The 2.5% 30 month CD I got in December looks better every day, but not a good as the 5% 12 month CD I had the year before.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
NFCU has had some outstanding rates recently, but you need a military connection to get on board. The 2.5% 30 month CD I got in December looks better every day, but not a good as the 5% 12 month CD I had the year before.

Yeah I love NFCU too but it looks like Andrews FCU has them beat right now AND they have open membership so I guess I have one more spot to bury some nuts.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I did this today. Went into the branch and customer service was good. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone here thought about dividend bearing stocks in utilities etc. instead of CDs? At these rates, man, it's just brutal.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Nope, but have bought some preferred utility shares as they pay 6% ->7%
I view them as my "sorta bonds".
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Has anyone here thought about dividend bearing stocks in utilities etc. instead of CDs? At these rates, man, it's just brutal.
Yes, I own T now and several other stocks that aren't utility but pay good dividends " GE, F, PFC, WFC " and will buy more or just buy VPU. But I'm looking to just park some money for a while or least not dump a large amount of money in the market all at one time. So at this point, I'll wait till September to see if the feds raise rates.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDay View Post
Yes, I own T now and several other stocks that aren't utility but pay good dividends " GE, F, PFC, WFC " and will buy more or just buy VPU. But I'm looking to just park some money for a while or least not dump a large amount of money in the market all at one time. So at this point, I'll wait till September to see if the feds raise rates.
+1 I think between September and Nov election we may see some changes in Feds monetary policy.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote