Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First, I don't have a clue what the humidity is like in St. Louis. However, I was born and raised in Houston, and do know what the humidity is like there! I have also lived in the Florida pan handle, and on the east coast of Fl. near Cape Canaveral. I did not find either FL location as oppressive as Houston with regards to humidity. The beaches of northern FL well out weighs any minor humidity problems.

I have also lived in Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, and California. In the dry climates of Idaho and Vegas we often had to run a humidifier in the house to be comfortable. So you may be asking for trouble if you go too dry.

For me, weather was really not a consideration. We chose family, friends, cost of housing for the type of place we wanted, and overall cost of living. And, it was pretty much in that order. Weather was not in the list.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rustic23 what was New Mexico like?

Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Relative Humidity Map for the United States

Interesting map.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I am looking for something with less humidity than ST LOUIS.
Doesn't that cover pretty much anywhere else on the planet?

More seriously, do take a look at Vancouver, WA for the reasons mentioned.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
OK, why limit yourself to just one place? Our Canadian neighbors spend summer in Canada and winter in the southern US.
We picked Vancouver Canada for the nice summers, and PV Mexico for the nice winters. We travel in the spring and fall, usually to Europe (Lucca at al this September). We like humidity in the 50%-60% range.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #66

Not in US, but Cuernavaca is famous for its climate.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #67

We were on the Texas border, Clovis, NM. It would be comparable to the pan handle of Texas. Dry, yes, cold in the winter, and hot as h@ll in the summer. But, hey, it's a dry heat, just like your oven.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
If the OP thinks that Spokane and Reno have the best climate, then that is so far from what I think that I cannot even comment

One thing I will say, is that folks tend to focus on the extremes, especially the high temps, instead of the average temps. For instance, I was working in Austin during the summer and it was definitely hot during the day. But the evenings were absolutely gorgeous. I loved going out in the evening in the summer there.

When I lived in San Jose, many of the mid-day temps were fine but it was cold as soon as the sun went down. It was uncomfortable to have almost any outdoor event last past dark most of the year without jackets, etc.(snip)
Just goes to show there's no accounting for tastes! I used to live in San Jose too, and to me the only thing that made the summers bearable is that it did cool off at night! I've been living on the west coast since I was six years old and now I'm so spoiled, I don't think I'd ever seriously consider living anywhere that it stays hot 'round the clock in the summertime.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Just goes to show there's no accounting for tastes! I used to live in San Jose too, and to me the only thing that made the summers bearable is that it did cool off at night! I've been living on the west coast since I was six years old and now I'm so spoiled, I don't think I'd ever seriously consider living anywhere that it stays hot 'round the clock in the summertime.
Yeah, another former SJ resident here (lived in and around it until 2003). I really miss the cooling at night -- even if it was sometimes hot during the day, you knew relief was only a sundown away. Here in Texas, relief comes in November.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I was thinking about retiring in a tax free state. I wanted to pick a place with good weather that was in a tax free state. So far I have thought about Spokane and Reno. Do any of you have any ideas for other cities in one of the seven tax free states.
Would you be willing to pay a little more for better weather, or does it have to be free?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Would you be willing to pay a little more for better weather, or does it have to be free?
If you are hinting Hawaii as a possible place, the answer might be no.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
Looks like the west coast is the place to live if low humidity is preferred. The humidity where I live is pretty high in the summer.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
Relative humidity is overrated. Dewpoint is really where it's at. If the typical summer dewpoint is in the 50s or lower, you have a nice climate. In the 60s... decent. If usually 70 or higher, you're in Hell.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Relative humidity is overrated. Dewpoint is really where it's at. If the typical summer dewpoint is in the 50s or lower, you have a nice climate. In the 60s... decent. If usually 70 or higher, you're in Hell.
OK, here's dew point (same source, lazy me):

Dew Points Map for the United States

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We were on the Texas border, Clovis, NM. It would be comparable to the pan handle of Texas. Dry, yes, cold in the winter, and hot as h@ll in the summer. But, hey, it's a dry heat, just like your oven.
Did the wind cool you down any?
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Doesn't that cover pretty much anywhere else on the planet?

More seriously, do take a look at Vancouver, WA for the reasons mentioned.
Vancouver does look good. No crazy heat or cold.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:36 AM   #77
Confused about dryer sheets

We've lived in Hawaii, California (all over), North Carolina, Boston, Oregon, and Colorado. My favorite weather is Windsor, California. It's in Sonoma County--wine country. All of my favorite places for weather are in California and are mostly on the coast, which is crazy expensive. Oregon is also nice, but the gloom got to me. North Carolina is too hot and humid in the summer. Colorado too dry. Hawaii too hot for me.

What I don't like about Windsor is the cost of housing. Houses start at about $250K these days (condos about $100K less). What I liked about the weather there is that there is some change in seasons and none are extreme. We only needed to use the air conditioner a handful of days during the summer and it always cooled off at night. There's enough rain, but not a lot of gloomy days. The nearby vineyards are beautiful and there's enough to do in the area (shopping, restaurants, etc.) and you're close enough to San Francisco to drive down and spend the day.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #78

Clovis, New Mexico (NM 88101, 88102) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, sex offenders, news, sex offenders
This should be just about everything you need to know about Clovis. It was a long time ago, when we were there (1968)
Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
This should be just about everything you need to know about Clovis. It was a long time ago, when we were there (1968)
Wow. Bring your body armor...

Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OK, here's dew point (same source, lazy me):

Dew Points Map for the United States
Thanks. Definitely the West is much drier.