Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know why, that is the data from City-data.com. It is what it is. However, for weather, you notice the average high to be about 92 at times. That does not mean there are not some 100+ days!

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #82
Confused about dryer sheets

Long time lurker here...I created the account to "just" post in this thread because I think I can be a "little" help.

I lived in Spokane for 4 years, and have lived my whole life within 80 miles of Spokane (I'm 26).

The winters in eastern washington (and spokane) varies a lot. Last winter I only had to shovel snow once. 2 winters ago I had to shovel almost every week for 3 months str8, and there was so much snow that the city didn't even plow "non main roads"....meaning if you didn't have 4 wheel drive, you didn't go anywhere (they even closed the main/big mall of the city). And barely any sidewalks were even touched by the citizens.

In the summer, it gets up around 100ish...sometimes it'll get hot hot hot like 105...but there's very little humidity, so when I go to hawaii and it's 85 degrees, it feels much hotter then spokane at 100 degrees.

The other thing to consider is Spokane isn't doing so well crime wise. A couple of new gangs have moved up from california and there is a LOT more crime around the courthouse area. It used to be VERY uncommon to see graffiti on single family homes. Now it's very common. And the sad part is spokane is increasing their public welfare programs (thus attracting the homeless/needy from the surronding area...especially from idaho) while at the same time they're cutting 30 more police officers. Many people refer to spokane as the meca for the idaho homeless. (they also get a lot of homeless that travel from the indian reservations because their welfare programs are so good) (*please don't think I'm racist because I said indian reservations...I'm part indian)

I interrupted a break in at one of my rentals last month, called 911, the police answered and said, "I'm sorry but we're really busy tonight, because those have such a low chance of being solved, we're not even going to be able to come out and respond." Such a joke imo.

I personally view spokane as a declining city, not a prospering city. So I would personally choose somewhere else to live. I'm not saying washington is bad, I'd just say "spokane" is bad imo. (and it breaks my heart because I went to Gonzaga and LOVED IT!!!!! I would still recommend Gonzaga as a college to people because their local campus police does a GREAT job at deterring crime/keeping the people who aren't suppose to be on campus off)

fwiw...check out Kirkland in western washington. While I've never lived there, I went to school with people from there, and they always had good things to say about it.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDango View Post
(snip) fwiw...check out Kirkland in western washington. While I've never lived there, I went to school with people from there, and they always had good things to say about it.
Kirkland is nice, but it's even more expensive than Washington State in general.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
fwiw...check out Kirkland in western washington. While I've never lived there, I went to school with people from there, and they always had good things to say about it.
Many on this board for the most part rank things:1. Cheap 2.Cheap 3.Cheap 4.What else is there?

Ha
Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Many on this board for the most part rank things:1. Cheap 2.Cheap 3.Cheap 4.What else is there?

Ha
Well, there's the OP's question, about the best weather. I'm sure I'm not the only person around here who has said "I don't care how cheap it is, there is no way I would ever move to [fill in the blank]—I just couldn't stand the [heat, icy winters, snow, constant rain, pollen....]."
Old 06-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Long time lurker here...I created the account to "just" post in this thread because I think I can be a "little" help.

I lived in Spokane for 4 years, and have lived my whole life within 80 miles of Spokane (I'm 26).

The winters in eastern washington (and spokane) varies a lot. Last winter I only had to shovel snow once. 2 winters ago I had to shovel almost every week for 3 months str8, and there was so much snow that the city didn't even plow "non main roads"....meaning if you didn't have 4 wheel drive, you didn't go anywhere (they even closed the main/big mall of the city). And barely any sidewalks were even touched by the citizens.

In the summer, it gets up around 100ish...sometimes it'll get hot hot hot like 105...but there's very little humidity, so when I go to hawaii and it's 85 degrees, it feels much hotter then spokane at 100 degrees.

The other thing to consider is Spokane isn't doing so well crime wise. A couple of new gangs have moved up from california and there is a LOT more crime around the courthouse area. It used to be VERY uncommon to see graffiti on single family homes. Now it's very common. And the sad part is spokane is increasing their public welfare programs (thus attracting the homeless/needy from the surronding area...especially from idaho) while at the same time they're cutting 30 more police officers. Many people refer to spokane as the meca for the idaho homeless. (they also get a lot of homeless that travel from the indian reservations because their welfare programs are so good) (*please don't think I'm racist because I said indian reservations...I'm part indian)

I interrupted a break in at one of my rentals last month, called 911, the police answered and said, "I'm sorry but we're really busy tonight, because those have such a low chance of being solved, we're not even going to be able to come out and respond." Such a joke imo.

I personally view spokane as a declining city, not a prospering city. So I would personally choose somewhere else to live. I'm not saying washington is bad, I'd just say "spokane" is bad imo. (and it breaks my heart because I went to Gonzaga and LOVED IT!!!!! I would still recommend Gonzaga as a college to people because their local campus police does a GREAT job at deterring crime/keeping the people who aren't suppose to be on campus off)

Who is "not supposed to be on campus" ?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I've been through Spokane a few times, and thought it was a good possibility, but haven't been there for several years.

You just moved it considerably lower on my list. Any comments about Boise?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Who is "not supposed to be on campus" ?
Perhaps the homeless are much better dressed than the students.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Perhaps the homeless are much better dressed than the students.
That was the case when i was in school. But the earth was still cooling back then too..