Join Early Retirement Today

Best current budgeting apps?
Old 07-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best current budgeting apps?

I know budgeting apps in the past have had some problems, but we are 5 yrs out and need to get a hold on spending.
What apps are the best and why? Mint, USAA, every dollar, etc.
Married couple with 2 kids.
In the past we did the pay yourself first saving over 25% of gross income, then send the rest!
Callitaday2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can tell you with a pencil and paper we did a wonderful job budgeting. The first few months we just threw numbers around, then we got to be real pros.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

I used Quicken, not an app, but MINT might do. I never used it. All our money went into one bank account, so it was easy to see where everything went using Quicken. It was worth the $50. Still use it today, but don't update it as much.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #4

Started with Mint. It was OK but eventually had trouble tracking accounts. Then Yodlee, which worked OK especially for spending but weak on investments. (Fidelity offers Yodlee, I think with a Fidelity brand name).

Now, Personal Capital. For me, it has been the best. Better for tracking investments but still very good for expenses. It has worked as promised for the last 18 months.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #5

I use Personal Capital to view data, but I've never found a way to download the data for historical purposes. Maybe there is a way that I haven't figured out yet.

And with Personal Capital, Mint or any of these apps, if you stop using a credit card and the account gets closed, the data just disappears from your view. So I don't think they are all that practical as a long term solution.

I've been using Quicken for 20+ years and have found it to be just fine for budgeting and expense tracking. I would still go with that even if you have to spend a few dollars on it.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Like many here, I use my own Excel spreadsheets for all budget, spending, investing and asset allocation tracking and calcs. I don't have to a) wonder what the underlying assumptions are (as with package software), b) unlimited customization and c) it's free - I have Excel for many purposes. You could use Numbers or Google Docs/Sheets for free if you don't have Excel.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #7

I use Excel. My husband and I can understand Excel.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I can tell you with a pencil and paper we did a wonderful job budgeting.
+1

We used a #2 pencil and calculator. We like to live large.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Like many here, I use my own Excel spreadsheets for all budget, spending, investing and asset allocation tracking and calcs. I don't have to a) wonder what the underlying assumptions are (as with package software), b) unlimited customization and c) it's free - I have Excel for many purposes. You could use Numbers or Google Docs/Sheets for free if you don't have Excel.

+1
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:42 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

For six months I entered every transaction in the App "Spending" and then I realized that I was spending a good amount less than I had thought I was, so then I stopped.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:50 AM   #11

I use Quicken. I log every receipt, at least the total amount. I manually reconcile all statements.

When I was getting ready to leave the workforce, it helped me understand what I was spending.

I also did the spending calculation in reverse. I calculated what I saved the year before, that is relatively easy (401K, HSA, investment accounts, etc.). I knew what I had in income, mostly. I then assumed I spent everything else. It was a great double check on what I was spending.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The most powerful (yet user-friendly) personal finance program that I have fond is Moneydance -- https://infinitekind.com/moneydance.

Quote:
Moneydance is an easy to use personal finance software that is loaded with all the features you need: online banking and bill payment, account management, budgeting and investment tracking.

Moneydance handles multiple currencies and virtually any financial task with ease.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The most powerful (yet user-friendly) personal finance program that I have found is Moneydance.
+1
It does have a bit of a learning curve, but once you get used to it (couple of weeks), it's great. Also has terrific online help for questions. I've used it exclusively for nearly five years.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #14

a. I also use Quicken 2017. Been using Quicken for the past 20 years and I download my transactions once a week. After a while saving money becomes rote behavior.

b. The other method I use is to deposit my net paycheck once a month into my savings account, pay all bills prior to the end of the month - and the amount that I spend is subtracted from the Income. That gives me a fairly good picture of how much I spend. One additional step is to transfer some monies into a separate savings account each month and use the account as a personal escrow account (Once a year payments, like car insurance, property tax, etc.)

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #15

I still use Microsoft Money (the free Sunset edition), but since it has been abandoned by MS, it no longer will download transactions. Started in 2000.
Use it much more now to track investments and reconciling the checkbook. Only track specific categories that are helpful in preparing income tax returns (charitable, medical, state taxes, etc.) Most household expenses go into the giant misc category as I have been retired for some time and little value added by tracking all expenses.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #16

I've been using Quicken since 1992. I currently use the 2010 version and have no need to update since I manually enter and reconcile all transactions. It is a wonderful and very useful tool not only for budgeting but also for looking up all kinds of information i.e. when did I buy something, how much did I pay for it, what have I spent on repairs etc. etc. The ability to drill down by clicking on an entry in a report and finding out what individual expenditures make up that value is invaluable to me.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used both Quicken and an Excel spreadsheet successfully for years. A couple of years ago, I discovered that YNAB had successfully combined both into a single program, so I purchased it and was in the process of running it in parallel with my Quicken/Excel combo...when they changed their model from "buy" to "subscribe". I deleted YNAB that day, and have been using Quicken and a spreadsheet (recently switched from Excel to Google Sheets) since. What a shame - YNAB looked to be a very good solution.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
+1

We used a #2 pencil and calculator. We like to live large.
We use an old fashioned ledger book, has worked for almost 40 years.
Our bank and credit union have online budgeting tools that I utilize also.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
I still use Microsoft Money (the free Sunset edition), but since it has been abandoned by MS, it no longer will download transactions. Started in 2000.
Use it much more now to track investments and reconciling the checkbook. Only track specific categories that are helpful in preparing income tax returns (charitable, medical, state taxes, etc.) Most household expenses go into the giant misc category as I have been retired for some time and little value added by tracking all expenses.
I, too, used MS Money (for about 15 years) and was greatly disappointed when it was orphaned -- angry even. In looking for a replacement, the only program that came close to matching Money was Moneydance... that it imported my Money files with (very) few issues was a bonus.

Sixteen years later, Moneydance has surpassed everything that I expected from MS Money. The $50 buy-in is a very small price to pay for what it provides.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #20

YNAB.
Still using "classic". Need to find some time to convert to the new model.