Join Early Retirement Today

best gold and silver funds
Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

best gold and silver funds

any advice?
newyorklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: best gold and silver funds
Old 02-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
any advice?
Uhm... Don't buy them? Our one gold fund dropped twice as far as the worst stock we owned. Please note: That's one gold stock and we only own maybe 10 other stocks. I am not in synch with the winds which blow our investments up or down.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

not going to buy right now, waiting to time it. still too high even with the slip.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I've allocated 4% of my portfolio to Tocqueville Gold (TGLDX) since 2000. I've been pleased with the results so far.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I like American Century Global Gold Fund (just a very small percentage of total port).
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I believe I've heard that the cheapest and simplest way to just buy
the yellow stuff itself would be the ETF called GLD (technically it's an
"exchange traded NOTE"). It's what I use.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:02 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what is your definition of "best"? Are you planning to add them to your portfolio as a protection against inflation as part of your asset allocation? Are you trying to time your purchase and sell it at the peak?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
I believe I've heard that the cheapest and simplest way to just buy
the yellow stuff itself would be the ETF called GLD (technically it's an
"exchange traded NOTE"). It's what I use.

And SLV, the same situation as above, but Silver instead of Gold.

Are you sure they are ETNs? I thought they were simply a "trust" that owns a bunch of gold/silver, not a debt instrument. Maybe you are thinking of the commodity ETNs like DJP?
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out UNWPX from US Global Investors. The golds funds offer leverage 2-3 X the price of precious metals. Unfortunately this works on the downside as well as the upside.

2soon2tell
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav23
Are you sure they are ETNs? I thought they were simply a "trust" that owns a bunch of gold/silver, not a debt instrument. Maybe you are thinking of the commodity ETNs like DJP?
You're right, sorry, I moonlight part-time as a moron.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #11

I like GDX as a general miner fund:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=gdx&x=28&y=16

The Tocqueville fund mentioned before is a well managed one with an emphasis on smaller miners and explorers.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell
Check out UNWPX from US Global Investors. The golds funds offer leverage 2-3 X the price of precious metals. Unfortunately this works on the downside as well as the upside.

2soon2tell
Wow, leverage & gold, what a great idea! :
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Between your Tuesday's drop = recession post and this question about how to buy gold (Gold, GOLD!), I'm thinking you saw a ghost this week, black cat crossed your path, something! I don't even look at gold, I think it's return has been completely flat over the last 30 years (or worse?). You obviously took risks to get where you are so young, are you just feeling cold feet now and want to take your money off the table?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

scared. haven't been hit hard at all. minimally impacted but yeah freaked the hell out when the market dropped until i checked my accounts. you got me pegged. but gold and silver are too high now. wanted to know so i could set an alert if prices get more reasonable.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

not taking money off the table though, not panicking actually bought some stocks yesterday... but have some cash lying around that i want to do something with.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
but have some cash lying around that i want to do something with.
Have you joined The Brewer's ISM/OSM cult yet ? See the thread here with
ISM in title. Looks like a good inflation hedge, yielding siginificantly better than
TIPS albeit with some minimal risk. Since inflation-hedge is one of the main
reasons to go for some precious metals, no ?

Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I still cant figure out metals but it might pay to own 3-5% of your total in them if they were cheaper.

Only thing about them that makes any sense to me is that people usually run to them when theres a crisis. Other than that they have no recent correlations that stick. The investment tracks TERRIBLY with inflation although for some reason people keep trying to stick that benefit onto it.

Its a hairball investment, IMO. But if you want to play it by buying a small amount when nobody is nervous, and selling right after the run up from the crisis buying by the nervous people who think it'll save them from Mel Gibson in the post cataclysmic world...I guess its okay.

Really, really sorry...big apology to all the goldbugs. I know it makes perfect sense to you guys.

Its not even a stable investment. If you're worried enough to be considering a big investment in metals, buy TIPS instead. At least you'll get a return and an income from them.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

no thanks TIPs and the rest don't appeal to me. pretty low return. with gold or silver there is the mel gibson apolcalypse factor going for it...
Old 03-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Except that I dont think Mel's going to be interested in your gold. Bullets and gasoline, maybe some food.

Dang I cant believe i'm suppressing the Mel Gibson jokes.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I still cant figure out metals but it might pay to own 3-5% of your total in them if they were cheaper.

Only thing about them that makes any sense to me is that people usually run to them when theres a crisis. Other than that they have no recent correlations that stick. The investment tracks TERRIBLY with inflation although for some reason people keep trying to stick that benefit onto it.

Its a hairball investment, IMO.
For most retirees, any investment with little cash return is made on faith. Gold is maybe an extreme example of this, but it's the same thing. Unless you have quite a bit of money and can live on the 2.5 to 3 % that is available with secure dividends you are basically buying electronic entries and hoping to transfer them in the future to some greater fool.

Gold and gold equities are the same. It so happens that gold and gold equities have performed better than the S&P for quite a few years now, so I don't see that they can be called inferior. Obviously, a degree of timing is necessary. Which I am sure The Fuzzy One will have no problem accomplishing in fine style.

Ha