Join Early Retirement Today

Best guess on if the Bill will pass Congress Sunday nite?
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best guess on if the Bill will pass Congress Sunday nite?

Just spoke with a VP of a brokerage, and he says--with both Presidential candidates seeming to agree about the state of our financial economy and what should be done to rectify it--that he is giving it an 80% pass/20% not pass shot. Agree?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

yes.

Agreement Reached on Bailout Ahead of High-Level Meeting - WSJ.com

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Just spoke with a VP of a brokerage, and he says--with both Presidential candidates seeming to agree about the state of our financial economy and what should be done to rectify it--that he is giving it an 80% pass/20% not pass shot. Agree?
In the current market & economy, that's the most important thing the VP of a brokerage could find worth discussing?

I'm waiting for one of my elected representatives to call me back to suggest asset allocations and good index funds with low expense ratios...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In the current market & economy, that's the most important thing the VP of a brokerage could find worth discussing?
Well, she was the one who posed the question........

Quote:
I'm waiting for one of my elected representatives to call me back to suggest asset allocations and good index funds with low expense ratios...
So, you want your Senator to tell you what Vanguard Funds to buy?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #5

Naw, the subject just came up in conversation with a broker I know (who just happens to be a VP). He expected a run on his brokerage if the bill didn't pass I think. He says he feels he will, at least, be able to sleep Sunday night maybe, since he believes it will pass.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #6

Nords, I am waiting for that phone call from Seattle, too. I'm being patient.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Just a little thought, if Vanguard won't do that for you, why would your Senators??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #8

it's going to pass, why else did warren buffet invest in goldman sachs?
Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sure this one will pass, and the next one too!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
Administrator

Lookin' good!!!

Tentative meltdown deal: Bush, McCain, Obama meet: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
Confident but not yet celebrating, congressional leaders agreed Thursday on a multibillion-dollar bailout plan for Wall Street aimed at staving off a national economic catastrophe. President Bush brought the two men fighting to succeed him to a historic White House huddle on how to sell a deal to lawmakers who were still resisting.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Just a little thought, if Vanguard won't do that for you, why would your Senators??
Well, if I'm getting legislative advice from financial guys then it only seems fair that I should get financial advice from legislator guys.

Would you buy a used car from a financial advisor? Just kidding...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #12

And this means what? That stocks are heading up again somewhat? It will take me 2 years to remake what I've lost...but, hey! I can take a joke.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hitches Develop-Not Looking So Secure Anymore

Leaders Wrangle Over Bailout - WSJ.com
Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #14

i'll probably never vote republican again after the stunt the house GOP pulled tonight, along with mccain
Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I don't think it will pass until Friday a week at the earliest. Revolt is in the works and common folk want Wall Street types to pay: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/bu...26bush.html?hp

So Congress has to look like they are making WallStreet pay so that they can look good during re-election campaigns. It ain't gonna go down easy, but it will go down.

See also: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=avnxqWMsmExs
Old 09-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Better fasten your seat belts when the markets open tomorrow...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i'll probably never vote republican again after the stunt the house GOP pulled tonight, along with mccain
I'm curious what the Republican consensus is on this (I suspect I know how the Democrats feel). It sure does look like McCain blew up the deal. Which might be OK if he takes credit for doing so AND has a better idea to put on the table. But I'm not seeing that.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #18

latest word is that most of the senate supports it and the problem is the GOP House leadership

reason is every senator is a millionaire and successful. most of the House members are nobodys
Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
I'm curious what the Republican consensus is on this (I suspect I know how the Democrats feel). It sure does look like McCain blew up the deal. Which might be OK if he takes credit for doing so AND has a better idea to put on the table. But I'm not seeing that.
The WSJ link posted by Ha Ha gives a glimpse of the alternative plan proposed by some of the Republicans. It involves government-backed insurance (funded at least in part by the financial industry) rather than a straight infusion of cash.

The Democrats don't need the Republicans. They have enough votes to pass the bailout on their own, and Bush will sign it. The Republicans will get none of the credit. Democrats will be the heroes, and if they like their approach, they should just vote for it--they saved the world! They will have built and passed the biggest, most expensive, most gorged and bloated expenditure of taxpayer money ever!

And, the people are mad about it.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And, the people are mad about it.
Sometimes "leadership" involves doing things that aren't popular.

Plus, I'm not really sure I saw an alternative plan in the WSJ article, or much of a difference at all, really. Unless someone can explain to me how offering insurance on the troubled assets is somehow better, or even different, than buying them. :confused: One difference I can think of is that typically an insurer takes all the downside risk and the owner keeps all the upside . . . doesn't exactly sound like an improvement to me.