Best mock portfolio site?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I want to teach DD about investing and she is hot to trot. Does anyone have a favorite mock portfolio site they would recommend? I am not interested in tracking a set of tickers, more the ability to buy and sell stuff and track purchases, gains, losses, etc.

Try Google Finance. It tracks dividends received and adds them to cash balance. Smart Money used to be the best, however, since they became part of MarketWatch the portfolio tracking is worthless.

I'd be interested in this little experiment, too. I bet my 9 year old would love to learn more about trading since we are living off investments now.

Let me know if you find anything awesome, Brewer. I know yahoo finance has a "transactions" based portfolio tracker where you can enter buy and sell transactions.

I'd be interested in this little experiment, too. I bet my 9 year old would love to learn more about trading since we are living off investments now.

Let me know if you find anything awesome, Brewer. I know yahoo finance has a "transactions" based portfolio tracker where you can enter buy and sell transactions.

I will look at the sites out there, but if I don't find anything compelling I will just create a spreadsheet and teach her how to mark and account for a portfolio.

Not sure exactly what you want to do but Quicken may work. You can define the investments you want to focus on, enter hypothetical transactions by hand and it will mark it to market for you with a click of a button. You would need to manually enter dividends, capital gain distributions, etc. since it is hypothetical can would not link to a real account. You could also run performance reports to see returns and how they are calculated.

That approach has several advantages:

1) It is 'hers,' and she can personalize it as she likes.

2) No constant adaptation to new interfaces as the old ones stop being supported.

3) Teaches spreadsheet skills and tempts her to learn new ones on her own..."Hmm, I wonder if I can get it to do this...."

A.

I will look at the sites out there, but if I don't find anything compelling I will just create a spreadsheet and teach her how to mark and account for a portfolio.

A spreadsheet is probably as good as anything. I might do that, and let them use my fidelity real time quotes and let them decide when to buy and sell. Maybe even offer them commission free trades on certain ETFs.

Maybe I misunderstood, but some time ago Schwab( the old Options Express) allowed you to place orders, and keep track of the P&L. Trade as if it was real money, including options.

I think other brokerages allow this type of 'pratice trading' too.

Is this what the OP was looking for?
MRG

Back
Top Bottom