Join Early Retirement Today

Best mock portfolio site?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best mock portfolio site?

I want to teach DD about investing and she is hot to trot. Does anyone have a favorite mock portfolio site they would recommend? I am not interested in tracking a set of tickers, more the ability to buy and sell stuff and track purchases, gains, losses, etc.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Try Google Finance. It tracks dividends received and adds them to cash balance. Smart Money used to be the best, however, since they became part of MarketWatch the portfolio tracking is worthless.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use quicken, but give mint.com a try since it is free.
https://www.mint.com/how-it-works/invest/
Old 04-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'd be interested in this little experiment, too. I bet my 9 year old would love to learn more about trading since we are living off investments now.

Let me know if you find anything awesome, Brewer. I know yahoo finance has a "transactions" based portfolio tracker where you can enter buy and sell transactions.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'd be interested in this little experiment, too. I bet my 9 year old would love to learn more about trading since we are living off investments now.

Let me know if you find anything awesome, Brewer. I know yahoo finance has a "transactions" based portfolio tracker where you can enter buy and sell transactions.

I will look at the sites out there, but if I don't find anything compelling I will just create a spreadsheet and teach her how to mark and account for a portfolio.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not sure exactly what you want to do but Quicken may work. You can define the investments you want to focus on, enter hypothetical transactions by hand and it will mark it to market for you with a click of a button. You would need to manually enter dividends, capital gain distributions, etc. since it is hypothetical can would not link to a real account. You could also run performance reports to see returns and how they are calculated.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

That approach has several advantages:

1) It is 'hers,' and she can personalize it as she likes.

2) No constant adaptation to new interfaces as the old ones stop being supported.

3) Teaches spreadsheet skills and tempts her to learn new ones on her own..."Hmm, I wonder if I can get it to do this...."

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I will look at the sites out there, but if I don't find anything compelling I will just create a spreadsheet and teach her how to mark and account for a portfolio.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
A spreadsheet is probably as good as anything. I might do that, and let them use my fidelity real time quotes and let them decide when to buy and sell. Maybe even offer them commission free trades on certain ETFs.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CNNMoney - Business, financial and personal finance news
Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I misunderstood, but some time ago Schwab( the old Options Express) allowed you to place orders, and keep track of the P&L. Trade as if it was real money, including options.

I think other brokerages allow this type of 'pratice trading' too.

Is this what the OP was looking for?
MRG