Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #81
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you work too hard, you have no time to make money
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2007, 12:07 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yona View Post
If you work too hard, you have no time to make money
Did you mean to say "If you work too hard, you have no time to make spend money"?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #83
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
I never received advice about money, but I made it a point to observe how successful people spent their money. The one thing I learned was that ...

"just because you have money.... doesn't mean you have to spend it."

I think that single observation (of people close to me) helped me to achieve my ER.

Thru-out much of my adult life, I've had the opportunity to observe up close and personal, the habits of extraordinarily successful people. And I came away with the same conclusions - however much money they had, they always took the spending or saving of money very very seriously, far more seriously than the poor people I observed in childhood. That's not to say that they couldn't be very generous, only to say that each decision about money was made very carefully. From that I have learned a healthy respect for money - mine and other peoples too.

In addition, it goes without saying that they were LBYMers - even the ultra wealthy among them (inherited wealth being the exception).
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Start early
Put more with each raise/increase/bonus
Read this forum

Now trying to learn what to do with the after tax money, soon as i find some...

It's not what you earn, it's what you don't spend....should be tattoo'd to my forhead...then maybe i can find more of that after tax $!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #85
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Did you mean to say "If you work too hard, you have no time to make spend money"?
No.
People that work too hard don't have time to make money. I see it all the time in my company. When I talk with people about stocks, they tell me thay don't have time for this. They just put their money in CD.

When you work hard and get promoted, the salary doesn't go up much. I decided not to get promoted into rules that require more of my time, and to use this time to invest my money. I already make in the stock market much more than people that are much more senior than me.

Of course, if you are self-employed, this is not the case. But if you work for others, you better not work too hard, and invest more time in making money for your self and not for your employer.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
Thru-out much of my adult life, I've had the opportunity to observe up close and personal, the habits of extraordinarily successful people. And I came away with the same conclusions - however much money they had, they always took the spending or saving of money very very seriously, far more seriously than the poor people I observed in childhood. That's not to say that they couldn't be very generous, only to say that each decision about money was made very carefully. From that I have learned a healthy respect for money - mine and other peoples too.
I've found that some of these folks are really slow to pay our bills. The really really rich, I mean so rich that instead of, say, buying Microsoft at the IPO, they were among those who provided the start up cash, will actually ask for discounts; some get the discounts, others are reminded that thinking a service is overpriced is a good reason to end the professional relationship.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote