Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recently moved 10k of my savings account into I bonds. 1 Year yield is highly likely to be 3% or better with zero risk.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Yeah, I agree, the dollar bills are way better for rolling around in than the dollar coins. Those leave little marks on you that are very unattractive.
Quote:
Oh Martin Van Buren by far. Those sideburns are the worst!
I'm glad you didn't make us tell you that "this thread is worthless without pictures"!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I recently moved 10k of my savings account into I bonds. 1 Year yield is highly likely to be 3% or better with zero risk.
Zero risk? How is this possible? Its a Bond. What kind is it? Gov't Bonds? Corporate Bonds? The interest rates have been falling and there is no sign of Federal Reserve raising it in atleast a year so you are good there.

How would you compare this to 1.15% APY (guaranteed) vs 3% or bettter for 1 year? If the gov't and/or corporate cannot pay back its loan then you can't get that money back at maturity.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Dude, ever heard of Google? Been out of your mom's basement in the last 5 years?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Use your cash to pay off debt and pay down the mortgage, put any spare into a saving account, CD, MM or short term bond fund.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Dude, ever heard of Google? Been out of your mom's basement in the last 5 years?
I have but people here have some serious goals.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Use your cash to pay off debt and pay down the mortgage, put any spare into a saving account, CD, MM or short term bond fund.
What if there is no debt and no mortgage? I am aware of the online savings/MM accounts that offer high apy's compare to traditional banks.

What about I-Bonds?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Man View Post
Zero risk?
How would you compare this to 1.15% APY (guaranteed) vs 3% or bettter for 1 year? If the gov't and/or corporate cannot pay back its loan then you can't get that money back at maturity.
3 - 1.15 = 1.85% better. It is all based on your risk tolerance. That's the way the world works. You slap down your money and you spin the wheel. Use the search feature, educate yourself and start a CD latter at your credit union until you understand risk/reward.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
3 - 1.15 = 1.85% better. It is all based on your risk tolerance. That's the way the world works. You slap down your money and you spin the wheel. Use the search feature, educate yourself and start a CD latter at your credit union until you understand risk/reward.
Online savings rates are just as good as CD's but you are tied up in a CD though.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

When rates are headed down having those rates locked on your CD account is pretty nice vs. having them step down down down every couple months. Wasn't jazzed about the rate on my PenFed 5 year CDs back when we got them - right now the rate is brilliant compared to our savings account rates..
Old 10-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I feel the same about my 6.75% municipal bonds I bought 4 or 5 years ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Wasn't jazzed about the rate on my PenFed 5 year CDs back when we got them - right now the rate is brilliant compared to our savings account rates..
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I agree, the dollar bills are way better for rolling around in than the dollar coins. Those leave little marks on you that are very unattractive.
I'm not so sure about this. As I recall from my comic book days, Scrooge McDuck never got hurt diving into his coin hoard:

Old 10-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #33
gone traveling

Wells Fargo Stable Return Fund
Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where is the best place to keep your cash besides the higher interest online savings account?

Which online savings account do you usually store your cash?

I use Smartypig for to keep my emergency funds and/or 6+ months of rainy day fund.
On a more serious note (then my other post), have you looked into reward checking accounts at a credit union? Ours pays 2% on accounts up to $25k. We have to have 12 debit transactions/month + 1 ACH transfer. Pretty easy to do if you're motivated a bit.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm not so sure about this. As I recall from my comic book days, Scrooge McDuck never got hurt diving into his coin hoard:
His feathers hid the bruises.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I like to get several thousand one dollar bills, spread them over my bed and roll around on them naked.
My God!! And I thought that I was the only one in the world who did that.

Sands Of Time
SandsofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Online savings rates are just as good as CD's but you are tied up in a CD though.
Post where you get online saving at 3.2%.

Then use the money to put new streamers on your bike and buy some big boy pants with a zipper in the front. Post a picture when you have this done and we can continue. See ya.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, its a Bond which means there is a risk factor. So you use this Bond for Emergency fund? If you need the money and the Bond is down then what?

What are you getting for AIG? The highest I've seen now is 1.15% APY on Savings. The checking ones has too many things you have to do to get a higher rate.
Yes, it is a bond fund with price swings... I just live with that since the rate is a lot better than cash...

I actually have never needed this for an emergency. I have a few thousand (well, I did until the wife spent it) in the AIG account and I use that first and would then go to the bond fund.... the price does not change enough to worry about IMO... when you are talking the difference in rate on $50K vs the small amount that I might lose if I ever take out that money... I will take that risk...

It is the AIG savings... not sure what the rate is now, but it has been below 1% earlier.... but I only keep a few thousand there so I am not concerned with the rate as much. IOW, a few bps on a few thousand is not that much....
Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What about I-Bonds?
Not sure if you asked this as a serious question or just joking...You can buy it from the gov't treasury. It was max $10k allowed, but starting next year a person will be able to buy only $5k max...paper I-bonds are being phased out.

I'm still comtemplating whether to buy this month or wait for Nov.1 new rates.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003

Not sure if you asked this as a serious question or just joking...You can buy it from the gov't treasury. It was max $10k allowed, but starting next year a person will be able to buy only $5k max...paper I-bonds are being phased out.

I'm still comtemplating whether to buy this month or wait for Nov.1 new rates.
If you wait you pass up a guaranteed 4.6% yearly rate for 6 months. Once Nov. 1 hits you lock into the new rate which will probably be 3% give or take and lose the 4.6%. Better to lock in the 4.6% and then get the 3% ish for 6 months after you get the 4.6 for 6 months.