Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Excellent, thanks!

As far as I can tell, only another credit union or two make these cards available for US accounts. And no regular banks.

When I get ready next year, I'll probably open an account with them if no regular banks are yet offering chip cards with pins.
Let me know how you get on. I needed a replacement Penfed card this year so I requested CHIP and PIN. I was able to set my own PIN and everything. On receiving the card I see no evidence of a CHIP (unlike my UK Visa and my US Amex CHIP cards). It may have an unseen CHIP, I'll find out next year on vacation.

Does anyone else have a PenFed CHIP & PIN card, and if so, can you see the CHIP?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0239.jpg (298.6 KB, 2 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Let me know how you get on. I needed a replacement Penfed card this year so I requested CHIP and PIN. I was able to set my own PIN and everything. On receiving the card I see no evidence of a CHIP (unlike my UK Visa and my US Amex CHIP cards). It may have an unseen CHIP, I'll find out next year on vacation.

Does anyone else have a PenFed CHIP & PIN card, and if so, can you see the CHIP?
Hmmmmm - that little set of metal contacts exposed seems essential to me. That's just weird.

My BofA Travel Rewards chip and signature card has the exposed gold contacts. It looks similar to this one.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As far as I can tell, only another credit union or two make these cards available for US accounts. And no regular banks.

When I get ready next year, I'll probably open an account with them if no regular banks are yet offering chip cards with pins.
I have two chip and pin cards. One is a Visa from Andrews Federal Credit Union. Just like PenFed, anyone can join.

The other is a Mastercard from USAA Federal Savings Bank. Unlike their insurance, anyone can open a bank account with USAA. I just called them up and asked to convert my existing Mastercard from them to a chip and pin card. No problem, and they left it the same card number so I didn't have to change anything.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've racked up about 250k chase ultimate reward points so far this year. Just under 400k if you count sign up bonuses. That translates to about $2500 if I wanted to redeem for cash or gift cards. Of course, I save for travel.....
Old 11-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have two chip and pin cards. One is a Visa from Andrews Federal Credit Union. Just like PenFed, anyone can join.

The other is a Mastercard from USAA Federal Savings Bank. Unlike their insurance, anyone can open a bank account with USAA. I just called them up and asked to convert my existing Mastercard from them to a chip and pin card. No problem, and they left it the same card number so I didn't have to change anything.
And do your cards have an exposed chip/gold contacts?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've had Discover (now Discover It) since it started in 1986, and have never had a problem... and I really like being able to talk to a person, if and when there are any questions. We rarely use it for more for more than $15K/yr so the benefits aren't great, but consistent, and the "bonus" signups are basically automatic, one Email click.

Would be interested to know if anyone uses Bluebird (Amex based) mainly WalMart centered..
We opened it for a specific reason... sub accounts. We never had to use them, but that was the original purpose. The basic account also allows other accounts that can be managed by the main account holder. Looks perfect for kids in school, or a person that you are helping... parent, relative or friend who may occasionally need some help. You set limits... via phone or online. ATM at American Express machines, and you can always take money out or put it in at any Walmart cashier.

No bonuses, but convenient. Worth a look... and a pretty good backup if you have someone who may occasionally need some $$$ help. Beats wiring money.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, of course.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, of course.
Thanks - makes me really wonder about Alan's mystery card listed above.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #49

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, of course.

I think I'll have to request another from Penfed, as I suspected the one they sent obviously is not Chip and Pin.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

From a notice on the PenFed website last year:

Quote:
PenFed is now offering chip-enabled cards, also known as smart cards, to a limited membership audience on select Visa cards in their credit card portfolio. The security feature will eventually be made available to all PenFed cardholders, including affinity member cardholders.

Quote:
PenFed currently offers the chip technology on the following four credit card products in their portfolio:
  • PenFed VisaŽ Platinum Rewards Card
  • PenFed VisaŽ Platinum Cash Rewards Card
  • PenFed Promise Card
  • PenFed VisaŽ Gold Card
For more information about PenFed or to apply for a credit card, call 800-247-5626 or visit PenFed.org.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From a notice on the PenFed website last year:
Alan specifically requested a chip and pin card to replace his current one, he was able to assign a pin, but when he received the new card, there was no visible chip on it. This is rather a mystery.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I'll have to request another from Penfed, as I suspected the one they sent obviously is not Chip and Pin.
I am suspicious myself.

I just remember how in Europe they would look at your card to see if it had that chip.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quick reaction:
Alan, are you a PenFed member in your own right, or did you become a member the way so many others did, by becoming a one-time member ($20) of the National Military Family Association?

My thought is that since the PenFed notice said they would "eventually" make chip & pin available to "affinity members", it's possible they excluded you.

I don't know; I haven't asked for a chip & pin card yet from PenFed.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Alan,

I have a PenFed chip & pin card, and the chip is obvious, just like the ones in Europe. Sounds like they sent you the wrong card.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
Alan,

I have a PenFed chip & pin card, and the chip is obvious, just like the ones in Europe. Sounds like they sent you the wrong card.
Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the flat 1.5% CapitalOne card. Most of my charges are not in any categories, and I really don't want to go chasing different specials.

I guess if you were to maximize, you'd keep track of all the 5% deals, and use the appropriate card for such.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Discover is offering $150 cash back if you spend $750 in 3 months.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
I've racked up about 250k chase ultimate reward points so far this year. Just under 400k if you count sign up bonuses. That translates to about $2500 if I wanted to redeem for cash or gift cards. Of course, I save for travel.....
Sounds great! Collecting rewards points is going to be my next hobby. What would be a sample vacation on $250K reward points?

I was thinking of trying to rack up reward points so when we sell our house we can stay in hotels for free until we buy a new house. I love all blogs on how to get points for free.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have never heard of a true chip & pin where you can set your own pin. Usually it is assigned when the card and chip are stamped and cannot be set in advance or changed later .
Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

We have the PENFED card and like the 5%/gas and 3%/Groceries.

For everything else we like the Capital One Quicksilver card which gives a flat 1.5%. The best thing about it is you can set it up to apply $25 cash to your card balance every time you accumulate $25 in rewards. No sense racking up all those rewards points while spending your cash to pay off monthly card balances!