Join Early Retirement Today

Best SWR Contest
Old 08-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best SWR Contest

What's the best SWR FIREcalc has given you that was 100% safe over a 40 year period?

I was playing around with microcaps, and got the following:

60% microcap
10% large value
30% cash (1 month treasury)

40-year 100% SWR = 4.97%

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Best SWR Contest
Old 08-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you assuming no Social Security and no pension?

Assuming that I get SS at 65 and my wife starts drawing her pension at 55 (we're both 45 now), our 40 year SWR is 5.55%. Assuming no SS for me, but pension for wife, our SWR is 5.05%. I didn't mess with the investments mix. Although not exact, this was as close to our actual portfolio as I could get:

10% US small cap
10% US small value
20% S&P 500
10% US Large Value
10% LT US Treasury
10% LT Corp. Bond
30% 1 month treasury

Old 08-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino
Are you assuming no Social Security and no pension?
Yes, I just used the defaults and made the following changes in Advanced FIRECalc:

How much will you spend: change 30 years to 40 years.
How is it invested: use "a mixed portfolio"
Results: set the radio button to "how much you spend each year" and change the search criterion from 95% to 100%.

For your allocation above, FC gives me 4.18%

Since FC doesn't have a "find optimal portfolio" feature, I'm just curious what sort of SWR different allocations support.

FWIW, raddr did a study that showed 45% ScV + 55% commodities could give you a SWR of 7.1%.* *I'm not sure he specified, but I think that was 95% success for 30 years.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #4

strikes me there is a considerable danger in back-searching for a particular portfolio mix ... both portfolios mentioned (that with 60% micro-cap and the SCV+commodities) seem very unbalanced.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
strikes me there is a considerable danger in back-searching for a particular portfolio mix ... both portfolios mentioned (that with 60% micro-cap and the SCV+commodities) seem very unbalanced.
Frankly, there's a danger relying on historical data at all, but it's still interesting to see what happened. FWIW, I'm pretty sure that Larry Swedroe's asset allocation consists of just ScV + TIPS.