Join Early Retirement Today

Best toilet paper and paper towels
Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best toilet paper and paper towels

I thought of this after reading the other thread and I didn't want to totally hijack that thread so I started this one.

We used to always use the expensive toilet paper....charmin. Then we had our sewers back up and the plumber told us it was from the toilet paper we were using. So we switched to the cheaper stuff.

If you ever had sewers back up it is really disgusting and the clean up alone is bad enough let alone the cost of the plumber and not to mention that you are paying more for the toilet paper.

The best toilet paper I have found for just good price and actual "usable" toilet paper are the sams club brand and the costo brand. They are relatively cheap and are not really thick and are still usable.

What I mean by usable is some of the cheaper toilet paper like scotts lowest level stuff and other paper thin almost transparent toilet paper like that are so ROUGH that they feel like thet are actually irritating. And you have to use way more sheets.

On paper towels although they are not high quality the mardi gras paper towels at wal mart are good enough for me and are about as cheap as you can get without going into the brown stuff you find in public bathrooms.

I just wanted to see what others used.

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I just buy the most expensive kind and use less of it. Since you mentioned paper towels, I use the Select-a-size, tear off the smallest size and rip it in half. The thing about T.P. is to avoid putting too much in which should help avoid the clogs.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny - was just telling my honey about a tissue a tenant gave me to staunch the blood when i nicked a finger doing some water heater thermosats. Softest stuff i've ever felt - think she said it was triple ply facial tissue. Reminded me that i didn't care about butter till i'd had it - don't miss what you don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
...The thing about T.P. is to avoid putting too much in which should help avoid the clogs.
Oh boy - the right amount - there's the right thinking 4 sheets, folded on the serrations people, the wrap loops around the hand crowd, the scrunch and bunch group, the three sheets folded twice thift care and caution crowd...
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I buy Charmin exclusively for TP but I am not loyal to any particular paper towel brand as long as it is good quality (thick, strong and very absorbent).

Our sewer backed up a few years ago (we caught it really early so the clean up was minimal). It was caused by... a dead squirrel. Apparently the squirrel had climbed on the roof, fallen down the plumbing vent and gotten caught while traveling through a bend in the sewer line. The plumbers sent a camera down the line to see what was blocking it but couldn't identify what it was. You imagine our surprise when they snaked the line and pulled out the dead squirrel... We all jumped back! There were pictures taken and phone calls to fellow plumbers... Never seen that before they said... It was kinda gross.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Squirrel gona be OK?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cheapest they have. Army living, a long time ago, reminds me gave us Grunts 10 squares of TP a day when out playing in the boonies, after that it was dead leaves or what ever. The 10 squares actually came in the "C" rations. Use what you want, but use less has always sort of "stuck" with me.

As an aside anyone ever had the sinks in the DD or DW bathrooms get really slow? My DD called me one day and said her DD sink would not drain. Introduced her to the purpose of the "P" fitting under the sink. Was fully clogged up with my Granddaughters hair - solid plug. They do have a little tool for cleaning them from the top but removing the "P" fitting is a more complete way to clean them.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

We heard a long time ago that Charmin in particular was not good for the septic, so we always avoided it. I don't like cheap tp necessarily; we use Angel Soft or Northern, and both kinds go on sale frequently and there are often coupons for one or the other.

Ditto what CuppaJoe said about select-a-size paper towels. I LOVE those! We were always tearing a paper towel in half because that's all we needed. So they are perfect. But I do hate cheap paper towels. Again, the decent ones go on sale often enough.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I buy Northern in the big pack of maybe 24? That lasts forever for one person. I am not sure how many years it lasts. I never have to worry about running out, that's for sure.

For paper towels, it's "the quicker picker-upper" for me and I only use about 1 roll/year (I use a cloth dishtowel often, and re-wash it).

My thinking is that since I don't use much of either paper product, I might as well buy my favorite brands.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #9

Scott's soft stuff (no, NOT BF Scott!) or the soft feeling "house" brand on sale when I am shopping for that stuff. Cheap paper towels - maybe Mardi Gras in house now. I don't really use that many. Buy the big pack of napkins @ dollar store and put those out when I have company. Kleenex is another story...I have the puffs plus that is hidden until I actually have a sinus mess - other than that, the "guest" bathroom has a small box of kleenex that I snagged from the barracks! I just use TP for any minor nose blowing
Old 11-12-2008, 06:49 AM   #10

I use the Sam's cheap stuff too. I read on Terry Love's (plumbing) forum that the plumbers said it was much better than the expensive stuff due to fewer clogs. Sam's have another brand that I'm trying now but I might go back to my old standby. I like buying it in those large cases. I like Bounty paper towels with the smaller sheets. I'm not using nearly as many paper towels as I used to...not cooking as much either.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Use the cheaper stuff for most household products. We use cheap paper.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Seventh Generation - recycled products. TP, towels, napkins, kleenex, soaps, garbage bags. If you buy by the case from Amazon.com there is no freight or tax, and the price is good. They deliver every six months. Don't forget the environment.
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Kirkland for both...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We buy only the best paper towels and toilet paper - and cut them down so they will last longer:

Hint: For TP, be sure the width is a minimum of 2x the width of your finger...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #15

In the house we only use Northern.....used Charmin for many years, but a bunch of years ago they changed something in there process and we started having clogging problems with it....that's when we switched to Northern.

For paper towels, like some of the others here, we use 'select-a-size'. In the work shop and hobby room I use Scott's 'singlefold' commercial paper towels in a wall-mounted dispenser.....like the ones you find in the public restrooms. For window washing, and some hobby uses (like painting models and that sort of thing) I use a very high quality large 'paper towel' (about 10"x16") that is actually made from cotton. It doesn't tear or fall apart when it gets wet, it is almost completely lint free, and it can actually be rinsed and rung out, and continue to be used....about $48/case (a case lasts me for 2-3 years).
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Our sewer backed up a few years ago (we caught it really early so the clean up was minimal). It was caused by... a dead squirrel. Apparently the squirrel had climbed on the roof, fallen down the plumbing vent and gotten caught while traveling through a bend in the sewer line. The plumbers sent a camera down the line to see what was blocking it but couldn't identify what it was. You imagine our surprise when they snaked the line and pulled out the dead squirrel... We all jumped back! There were pictures taken and phone calls to fellow plumbers... Never seen that before they said... It was kinda gross.
I kind of had the same thing happen to me. Lifted the toilet seat and saw a face. The squirrel was small enough that he made it through the pipe. After a bit of wrangling, the squirrel was caught and set free. He was fine...I still have dreams.....

Oh yeah, Northern and Brawny.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Man, these squirrel stories are grossing me out.

On an rv forum I read that Charmin is the one toilet tissue that is resistant to breaking down. You can use almost any other toilet tissue in your rv tank without a problem, but don't use Charmin.
We use Northern.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

I buy Publix toilet paper made from recycled paper . Who Knows what it could have been in an earlier life maybe the New York Times ? I also buy Publix paper towels .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Long ago had a GF whose name was very close to Charmin, unfortunately anyone claiming to be Mr. Whipple got a squeeze.
It has been my favorite toilet tissue ever since. Thanks for the Charmin reminder
Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #20

I buy TP form Sam's Club, POM brand in 45 roll packs. Cost $18 and it last for over a year
nun is offline   Reply With Quote