Best way to convert $ to Euros/Pounds?

Best way to convert $ to Euros/Pounds? Drink lots of Guiness!

All cards will have a competitive exchange rate. They lost the lawsuit and the days of skimming off a few pips are gone.

eridanus said:
All cards will have a competitive exchange rate. They lost the lawsuit and the days of skimming off a few pips are gone.

Yes, that is why they now charge a 1% FEE...it is spelled out and easy to see... they lost the lawsuit and now charge MORE money... and then add the 2% or 3% from the CC comp...

lsbcal said:
Now for a followup question. Does anyone have any experience with using a Wells Fargo Visa card overseas to do an ATM withdrawal. I know they will charge $5 per transaction but what exchange rate will I get?

Used my Wellls Fargo card four times in an Russian ATM the past two weeks. Every transaction was at the interbank rate with no additional fee. In fact they refunded the fee the local ATM charged. We've been using our WF card in multiple countries to get cash since we moved overseas in 2005, never seen the $5 per transaction charge. We do have a premium account so that might be it, not sure.

I travel abroad a lot and have come to the conclusion that ATM/Debit card card is the best value. I have an internet bank account so ATM fees of $8/month are waived and there is no premium charged like on credit cards (up to 3%) when withdrawing cash.

Back
Top Bottom