Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothman View Post
Can you point me to the funds you mean by this definition, thru Vanguard or Fido?
I remember Vanguard has a stable value fund but it's limited to 401k, 457b, etc. accounts. Can't get it through IRA or brokerage.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Stable Value funds I was in over the years were specially created ones for my 401k back in my working days. Whenever my employer changed 401k administrators (which happened a few times in my 23 years with them), the new plan always included a SV fund.

When I left the company in 2008, I did want to know what was in the SV fund so I could find something reasonably similar in the Rollover IRA I would be moving the 401k's money into. For me, it was somewhat similar to an intermediate-term corporate bond fund so I ended up choosing that as a counterweight to the S&P500 index fund I had in the 401k and the Rollover IRA.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothman View Post
Can you point me to the funds you mean by this definition, thru Vanguard or Fido?
Unless you are still w*rking and are enrolled in a 401(k) that offers a Stable Value Fund, you won't be able to invest. I believe this is because the insurers that write the contracts to guarantee the stable value want a relatively 'stable' (no pun intended) investor base, like an employee workforce.

Questions Answered - 401k Investing, Financial Planning and Other Investments | Stable Value « Stable Value
Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We left several of our former 401Ks in place so we have 3 stable value funds to choose from and have been using them all.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We left several of our former 401Ks in place so we have 3 stable value funds to choose from and have been using them all.
My plan as well. I was originally going to move my 401(k) to a Vanguard IRA upon retirement, but now planning to leave at least a portion of it with Fidelity, to avail myself of the Stable Value fund.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Unless you are still w*rking and are enrolled in a 401(k) that offers a Stable Value Fund, you won't be able to invest. I believe this is because the insurers that write the contracts to guarantee the stable value want a relatively 'stable' (no pun intended) investor base, like an employee workforce.

Questions Answered - 401k Investing, Financial Planning and Other Investments | Stable Value « Stable Value
Not quite. You can quit working but you need to leave your money behind in th company's 401k plan. This is a strategy many folks follow. There are downsides, in some cases, to rolling over to an IRA.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

You are correct, youbet. I *assumed* that the question came from someone who is already retired and has no 401(k). I should have generalized my response.