Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
keep in mind that a lot of stuff can be added aftermarket.
Very true.
When DW bought her Prius, she didn't want all the bells and whistles on the top end model, but she definitely wanted leather seats. The local dealer had leather upholstery added by a local shop at a very fair price, and the work is beautiful. You would never know it didn't come from the factory that way.

braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...
When we buy a car... we typically go for current inventory (rather than a special order). Of course, the dealer will look for a dealer swap.

The features we "gotta have" are commonly available.

Our goals are safety, comfort, and keeping the purchase/main cost down. Now we are focusing on fuel economy also.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

If you want the high intensity discharge headlamps you must buy the Limited. This is a big deal to me.............

The other is that you can get a slightly better audio system with more speakers. ............
Talk to your dealer. They will add options separately, though the parts may or may not be original equipment.
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As far as deposits on an ordered car are concerned, it depends on where you are. I've never paid a deposit on any of the four cars I've ordered. This is a low population area with only two dealerships in town (Ford and Chevy) and I've known the Ford dealer since high school.
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #45
I don't think I ever put more than $200 down as a deposit for ordering a car or truck, and that was in more modern times. I'll check the paperwork of the last few when I get a chance. I know it was only $50 back in the 70's. A top salesman can size the customer up pretty quick to see if they are the serious type or not.

Back in '73, I walked into a smaller dealership and the Mr Clothes Flash salesman said "oh, for a car like that I would need at least $500 down!". I walked. I put $50 down at a bigger dealership.

Aftermarket equipment - I would cringe at the thought of a dealer or anybody else "adding" something to a new car. "Oh yeah, I'll pick up a ground for this new stereo/whatever on one of these purple wires going up into the steering column" "I did it before and nobodys complained" "we do this all the time".
-- Telly, the D-I-Y guy --
Two fools dancing on the hands of time
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #46
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If I was emotionally invested in a car then I'd feel really bad if something happened to it-- especially if it was due to my driver error.

Looking down the road, how would you feel if you got the car of your exact specs and then it got dinged or scratched on the way home? Would it still have been worth the extra time & effort to get precisely what you wanted
Yes, I suspect that it's a lot easier to ER if you are a satisficer rather than a maximizer...

Age 55, retired July 1, 2012; DW is 59 and working for 4 more years. Current portfolio is 1950K split 50 stocks/20 bonds/30 cash. Renting house, no debts.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote