Bet it all on black...

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Here is an interesting story of a "professional" investment adviser who put his daughter's entire college fund in one option...

[Michael Murphy,the editor of an investment advisory service called New World Investor] invested his daughter’s entire college fund in just one option—the Jan. $10 calls on Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA 1.87, +0.01, +0.50%) .

Upon hearing the news of what Murphy had done in her college fund, she reportedly instructed him “to get brochures on Harvard and Stanford.”

Those applications might have to be put on hold: The Arena call options Murphy bought are now worth about 90% less than where they stood last Wednesday evening.
I suppose his daughter is actually getting an excellent eduction - in why it is so important to diversify.

Adviser goes for broke

another lesson someone could learn about this - a bulk of these people writing these newsletters and "advising" don't really know what they are talking about.

Murphy, of course, is the editor of an investment advisory service called New World Investor.

go to see one of them at least put their money where their mouth is...

Here is an interesting story of a "professional" investment adviser who put his daughter's entire college fund in one option...

I suppose his daughter is actually getting an excellent eduction - in why it is so important to diversify.

Adviser goes for broke

Down 90%? Those options must really be a good deal now!

Ha

I'm going to assume that the college fund contains $10 and that he'll be paying for her education out of his "general wealth" pile, which he will accumulate by selling many copies of his newsletter, sales helped by excellent publicity stunts such as this one.

Funny I thought the lesson she would learn is that being a member of the right sperm club matters: both in terms of inheritance of brains as well as wealth.:ROFLMAO:

And based upon her father's actions, it looks bad on both fronts for her...

You just have to appreciate someone who drinks the cool aid and they mixed it themselves.

His 7 year old daughter understands about options and upper tiers schools like Stanford and Harvard? I don't think so.

This guy seems to be in the "enough monkeys at typewriters" game:

And Murphy has done many things right. His service was the second-best in 2009, for example, among the nearly 200 rated by the Hulbert Financial Digest (HFD), with a gain of 148.5%.

Over longer periods, however, Murphy’s missteps have led his service to lag the market. For the decade through Aug. 31, for example, the HFD calculates that it produced a 0.5% annualized loss, in contrast to a 2.1% annualized gain for the stock market as a whole (as measured by the Wilshire 5000 index

I don't buy that he has 'done many things right'. He probably has done many things, some of which turned out to be right sometimes.

-ERD50

His daughter is only 7:confused:? This sounds like a publicity stunt. Plenty of time to recoup.

Back
Top Bottom