Join Early Retirement Today

Better customer service: Vanguard or Fidelity?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Better customer service: Vanguard or Fidelity?

I need to move my 401k from Wells Fargo to either an IRA with Vanguard or Fidelity. Most of what I am moving is to bland vanilla money market fund, so fund choice is not an issue here. Tie breaker is custmer service. Any suggestions or does it really not matter, they both good? Thanks!
LXEX55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had an outstanding experience with Fidelity for many years now. The customer service reps are professionals. My impression is that they hire smart people and provide them with extensive training.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends on how you define best. For years I received great service from the local KC branch. Now I'm in a remote area with no branches nearby. Vanguard wins hands down for remote support.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vanguard gets my vote. When I first moved our 401(k)'s to Vanguard IRA's I made some frantic, really annoying calls with stupid newbie questions. They are great at hand holding, and when all else fails, they'll do it for you. I see some complain about their website, but I have become pretty adept at self-service.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Depends on how you define best. For years I received great service from the local KC branch. Now I'm in a remote area with no branches nearby. Vanguard wins hands down for remote support.
Good advice. If you live near a Fido office, it is convenient to have a face to face.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #6

From the info you are providing I'd say: "it doesn't matter much".

I have dealt with both firms extensively and in MY experience, I'd give Fidelity a small edge over VG in terms of online and phone customer service. Obviously, a large edge if you like face to face and have a branch nearby. Fidelity website is leaps and bounds better than VG but it doesn't sound like that will matter much to you. You really can't go WRONG.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #7

Look at VG Flagship if you have 1MM+ Otherwise I love Bogle's principles and the idea that his employees are shareholders...a little extra incentive to provide better Service IMHO...doesn't mean the human you connect with is having a grand ole day and is ready for that though.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #8

Vanguard bungled a rollover and could not find the money for six weeks... Turns out the software did not allow the money to be "seen" during the process. No one knew this, and the reps insisted they had not received it.

Never had a high level of confidence in them after that. Majority of accounts are at Fido, although I still have some managed funds at T Rowe and a relatively small taxable account at Schwab. I do have money at Vanguard, can't beat their money market rates and the missing rollover that magically reappeared is mostly in Wellington.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #9

I find Vanguard's website more customer friendly than Fidelity's, but the one time I called Vanguard on the phone, the rep sounded like he was only half paying attention, and the transaction I was requesting never went through. It was an attempted rollover, similar to what Another Reader mentioned above.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
From the info you are providing I'd say: "it doesn't matter much".

I have dealt with both firms extensively and in MY experience, I'd give Fidelity a small edge over VG in terms of online and phone customer service. Obviously, a large edge if you like face to face and have a branch nearby. Fidelity website is leaps and bounds better than VG but it doesn't sound like that will matter much to you. You really can't go WRONG.
Same opinion here. I have accounts at Fido, Schwab, and Vanguard. Of the three, I would rank Vanguard's service lowest, but still acceptable.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity is best.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a VG Voyager-Select account, which assigns me a specific advisor that I can contact when necessary. I recently converted funds from tIRA to Roth. This was the first time I have done this, and my advisor was very helpful with the execution, including his asking a bunch of questions regarding strategies for RMD's down the road. If I don't like his advise in the future, I can select another CFP from their list. So far there have been no issues working with VG in my 10 years with them.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love Vanguard investment products and almost all of my equity investment is in Vanguard index ETF's.

I dumped Vanguard as a custodian about 5 years ago and would not go back. Fidelity and Schwab (my favorite) both beat Vanguard customer service and their CSRs exhibit some bit more competence IME. I have accounts at Fidelity (401K, Mega-backdoor Roth IRA, deferred comp and company pension) and at Schwab (solo401K, taxable and regular backdoor Roth). I am not a preferred client anywhere, I only have ~$750K at both Fidelity and Schwab. I have accounts a bit more complex than simple IRAs (solo401K and mega-backdoor Roth). I wouldn't trust regular retail Vanguard CSRs to not screw up those type accounts, but think they are probably fine for plain vanilla IRAs.

IMO there is no reason to accept less than the best in customer service, and that isn't Vanguard IME. Doesn't mean I don't have a soft spot for Vanguard products and Bogle philosophy, but I can get that with better service - and good lobby coffee - at Schwab and Fidelity.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing View Post
I love Vanguard investment products and almost all of my equity investment is in Vanguard index ETF's.

I dumped Vanguard as a custodian about 5 years ago and would not go back. Fidelity and Schwab (my favorite) both beat Vanguard customer service and their CSRs exhibit some bit more competence IME. I have accounts at Fidelity (401K, Mega-backdoor Roth IRA, deferred comp and company pension) and at Schwab (solo401K, taxable and regular backdoor Roth). I am not a preferred client anywhere, I only have ~$750K at both Fidelity and Schwab. I have accounts a bit more complex than simple IRAs (solo401K and mega-backdoor Roth). I wouldn't trust regular retail Vanguard CSRs to not screw up those type accounts, but think they are probably fine for plain vanilla IRAs.

IMO there is no reason to accept less than the best in customer service, and that isn't Vanguard IME. Doesn't mean I don't have a soft spot for Vanguard products and Bogle philosophy, but I can get that with better service - and good lobby coffee - at Schwab and Fidelity.
Damn, I'm going to have to try the coffee next time I'm in the office. It's been a couple of years since I have had to make a personal visit.

T Rowe Price experimented with offices about ten years ago. There was one up in Walnut Creek I think. I believe they closed those a few years ago.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Only have dealt with Fidelity. Big thumbs up for them.
No pressure selling/truly understand the DIY crowd/receive advice for free when needed.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #16

Much of your experience will be colored by the rep to whom you happen to be assigned. I've had excellent reps and poor ones. If you are disappointed ask for a new rep.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #17
gone traveling

I moved from Vanguard because Fidelity has a local retail office.
I moved from Janus because wider selection, lower fees and local office. (I went with Janus in the first place because they were headquartered in Denver and had a storefront. Was not happy when they closed the storefront.)
Very happy with Fido. I think the website is very good and the retirement planner is also.

The junior member of my Fido team (the one who does all the handholding) is going to be promoted soon and he is in his 30s. Hopefully, he will be my "forever" rep.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity.

20+ Years of being a satisfied customer. The reason I picked Fidelity was that they were our 401K custodian in three companies I worked in. Rolling over to IRA was a breeze. Their virtual bank is awesome and their credit card sends big cash rewards.

No reason for me to try anything else.
free2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Fido closed my money market account when it fell below the minimum. After that I moved out my IRA. That was 25 years ago and I never went back. I don't want to try their service again.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #20

We've experienced poor service with Vanguard, great service with Fidelity and Schwab.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote