Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is the state of your finances since retirement?
Better 34 64.15%
Worse 3 5.66%
About the Same 16 30.19%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Better, Worse or About the Same?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Better, Worse or About the Same?

I was reading a post that asked the question of what the average age of ER was. This made me ponder the question of the current state of finances of all those brave Souls that have taken the plunge considering the tumultuous state of the economy. I have postponed ER to sure up the finances a bit, as I am painfully aware that once I leave my occupation, there is no way for me to make the kind of dough that I currently do. Sorry for the long winded intro. Anyone care to share the state of their finances since retirement? Excuse the eye Dr. Cliché. Better, worse, or about the same?
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

8 years after retiring our portfolio has declined by 1% (excluding inflation).
Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I answered, but I'd think # of years in retirement would be a big factor. It seems this board is made up of more folks within a few years (before and after) of retirement, and fewer long term retirees. FWIW

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I answered, but I'd think # of years in retirement would be a big factor. It seems this board is made up of more folks within a few years (before and after) of retirement, and fewer long term retirees. FWIW
+1
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Better:
Refinanced mortgage, lower monthly
DS has graduated college and has job
Medicare has kicked in, lower medical bills even with Medigap
SS has started
Portfolio is at about retirement inflation adjusted level so no depletion after 10 years

Worse:
Am older (but wiser)
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtraveler View Post
I was reading a post that asked the question of what the average age of ER was. This made me ponder the question of the current state of finances of all those brave Souls that have taken the plunge considering the tumultuous state of the economy. I have postponed ER to sure up the finances a bit, as I am painfully aware that once I leave my occupation, there is no way for me to make the kind of dough that I currently do. Sorry for the long winded intro. Anyone care to share the state of their finances since retirement? Excuse the eye Dr. Cliché. Better, worse, or about the same?
I am doing much better, my fellow Long Islander, than I was back in late 2008 when I ERed. I am up about 40% overall.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

NW ~ 9% higher than when I retired at the end of 2011 despite no income for a year and ~3.5% WR.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Much better, not due to any investment wizardry so much as due to retiring in 2009, with the recession in full swing. Well, that, and my lower-than-planned withdrawal rate which so far has averaged less than 2%.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Actually, we are doing better. Thank God we didn't sell during the crash. I was, thankfully a deer in the headlights and stayed the course because I didn't know what else to do.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Good point. I guess I should have qualified the time frame. I was thinking of about a 5-10 year history to see how a major financial downturn influenced a retirement portfolio.
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wonder if there is a connection between people's site activity and how long they've been retired? Eventually we will all stop posting.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

In my 6th year. Retired just before stuff "hit the fan". Had adjusted my AA to "lighten up" on equities for a few years before retirement. Am currently up ~15% above where I started retirement. Mostly luck, but I have to say better !
Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I voted about the same because the face value of liquid investments is equal to what it was in 2006 when I retired. However, since retiring we have converted about 90% of our 401K into ROTHS with our gains along with building a $100K addition and purchasing a new car. Therefore, a point could be made we are in better shape. Once ROTH conversions are complete and we start drawing SS benefits the financials will definetly be better (baring another recession).
Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
gone traveling

Only been retired a year now but so far I can vote better. I'm so close to my spreadsheet projections it's scary.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
I voted about the same because the face value of liquid investments is equal to what it was in 2006 when I retired. However, since retiring we have converted about 90% of our 401K into ROTHS with our gains along with building a $100K addition and purchasing a new car. Therefore, a point could be made we are in better shape. Once ROTH conversions are complete and we start drawing SS benefits the financials will definetly be better (baring another recession).
Good point. We did heavy conversions too. For the next 5 years before RMD's we'll have low tax rates (due to easily being able to blend taxable income streams with Roth withdrawals). Sometimes planning pays off.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We are into our 6th year of full retirement. The mortgage is paid off. Our combined pensions and SS income are enough to meet our everyday expenses. We take about 3% withdrawal (in good years) to pay for an international trip.

Things were much tighter (and scarier) in 2008 when DH first retired.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
Only been retired a year now but so far I can vote better. I'm so close to my spreadsheet projections it's scary.

Weird thing is that I developed a spreadsheet back in 2003 (6 years ER in 2009) and with all the uheaval we have had, I am pretty darn close to tracking my portfolio balance. within 1%.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Better, traded homes in 2005. Going on 8 years now.

NW.JPG
Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I didn't answer the poll since nothing really applied. When DH retired almost 3 years ago and I semi-retired we knew that we were going to have some high housing related expenses over the next couple of years and we knew that we would have living expenses for several years that would be high as related to our long-term expenses (primarily related to have adolescents still at home with college expenses looming). So DH retired with the expectation that our portfolio would decrease over a period of time as the withdrawal rate would be much higher than it would be on a long-term basis.

So, in actual dollars you could say our finances are worse since our net worth has decreased, but from another standpoint they aren't worse as the overall change is well within the range of what was acceptable to us going into this.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

My net worth is 27% higher than when I retired 18 months ago. I credit the bull market, unrealized gains, and some ER belt tightening. But to be clear, my income is much lower now than when I was working.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote