Join Early Retirement Today

Between 62 and 67
Old 10-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Between 62 and 67

I am planning on retiring at 55 and starting social security payments at 62. My question is concerning the limits on (earnings) between 62 and 67. From what I have read you can only have $12,000 in earnings (dividends, interest etc.) before they begin to reduce your benifits $1 for every $2 in earnings. That would limit me to $24,000 yr (12,000 SS + $12.000 dividends etc.) to live on. I would like to have at least 40K. Does anyone out there have a good statagy to deal with this situation? Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Between 62 and 67
Old 10-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you have, say, $100k in a taxable account that you can access without incurring tax consequences (stock sold at cost basis, or money market funds for example), you can withdraw $20k/yr from this account for 5 years and you'll be set. These withdrawals won't count as income (assuming you have no tax consequences from the sale of the assets to generate cash).

Old 10-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #3

Jim,

Since you want an additional 16K to live on it seems that you would need about 400K in savings.
at 4% safe withdrawl rates that would earn you the 16K you would need.

Hope this helps,
JOE
Old 10-13-2005, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
From what I have read you can only have $12,000 in earnings (dividends, interest etc.) before they begin to reduce your benifits $1 for every $2 in earnings
I think you are referring to earnings from wages, if you work while you are receiving SS.* To the best of my knowledge, receiving dividends and interest (eg from an IRA) should have no effect on your SS.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

From http://www.ssa.gov/

"Non-work income such as pensions, annuities, investment income, interest, capital gains and other government benefits are not counted and will not affect your Social Security benefits. For more information, we suggest that you read the following publications which are available online: Retirement Benefits (Publication No. 05-10035) and How Work Affects Your Benefits (Publication No.05-10069)."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5
I think you are referring to earnings from wages, if you work while you are receiving SS.* To the best of my knowledge, receiving dividends and interest (eg from an IRA) should have no effect on your SS.
That's right! It's WAGES! There is no means test for SS, .........yet!

JG
Old 10-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
That's right!* It's WAGES!* There is no means test for SS, .........yet!

JG
There is an implicit means test -- the percentage of SS income that is taxed depends on the total amount of your income. Of course, if you're a dumpster diver and don't have much other income, you're free of this consideration.

HH